Driving + Cell Phone = FAIL

Talk about anything in here.

Postby That Dude » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:27 am

I have no problem talking on the phone. Though I'll vary rarely call someone while I'm driving I have no problem whatsoever when I'm getting called driving.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby smartyetstupud » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 pm

I never text... so that part doesn't really apply to me.

I do get calls on the cell phone, and I answer them (while I'm driving) *gasp* I just find that it doesn't hinder my driving if I'm on the phone. Looking at a map and driving, on the other hand, can be quite scary... O_O
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
smartyetstupud

Postby ADXC » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Let me just say this, I have a cellphone, but no one ever calls me.
ADXC

Postby RobinSena » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:46 pm

ADXC (post: 1276734) wrote:Let me just say this, I have a cellphone, but no one ever calls me.

I know how that is. The only people that call me are my family members that live in the same house as me. =P And on top of that, I don't drive yet.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:11 pm

smartyetstupud, yes, but you aren't meant to look at maps while you're driving either. You look at them quickly at the traffic lights, or pull off to the side of the road. It's not difficult.
It just seems to me that many people here are over confident about their abilities are accidents waiting to happen.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ADXC » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:52 pm

"In Soviet Russia, the car drives you!"

Again, another cookie for someone who can guess what this was from.
ADXC

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:47 pm

I use a (recently purchased) Bluetooth device whenever I'm driving. A lot of the time I get calls when I'm on the road. I'm able to focus on driving while on the phone using that device, but sometimes I forget a couple of minor things, like changing lanes while I'm on the freeway. Nothing hazardous, thank the Lord.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby soul alive » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:36 am

Momentary lapses of reason are more of a problem for me than my phone is, lol.

I'm in the boonies at college and home, with generally very straight roads, so if I ever do have to use my cell for some reason, it's not much of a distraction. Actually getting reception is much more of a problem, since I don't generally get calls on the road unless I'm near a town.

The thing that gets me is people using headphones for their iPod while they drive. wut
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:23 am

ADXC (post: 1276587) wrote:@ Spirit Wolf- I sure hope you only change CDs while at stop lights. I tried to change a CD while driving and it did not work out so well.

[color="DarkOrchid"]Mm, not so much. Whenever I feel the need to change it, I do. I've gotten pretty well practiced at it. Now, when I get my new car, all the things I do in my current one will be put on hold until I get used to how the new car handles. [/color]

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:41 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1276749) wrote:smartyetstupud, yes, but you aren't meant to look at maps while you're driving either. You look at them quickly at the traffic lights, or pull off to the side of the road. It's not difficult.
It just seems to me that many people here are over confident about their abilities are accidents waiting to happen.

It's less overconfidence as much as it is long practice and the fact that I don't take my eyes of the freaking road. If someone slams on their breaks, you can bet your ,,, I'm not gonna keep flipping songs before I brake.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby chelle0227 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:15 pm

That Dude (post: 1276651) wrote:I agree with you totally here, Some people have their own driving kryptonite. And while it may be extremely stupid, like say texting while driving, there are always things every bit as distracting. To outlaw something like talking on the phone while driving is totally a great example of the government totally overstepping their bounds. Things like this should be taught as common sense things, not as federal offenses.

I agree! what are they going to ban next little kids in cars because they are loud? Government doesn't need to interfer it's your car you bought it, they didn't i really don't think they should be able to tell you what to do in your own vehicle
Footprints in the sand by Carolyn Joyce Carty

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the lord.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene he noticed two sets of foot prints in the sand: one belonging to him the other to the lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the foot prints in the sand.

He noticed that name times along the path of his life there was only one set o footprints.

He also noticed that it was at the lowest and saddest times of his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the lord about it:

"lord, you said once i decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But i have noticed during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of foot prints. I dont understand why when i needed you most you would leave me."

The lord replied:

"My son, my precious child, I love you and would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that i carried you."
chelle0227

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:29 pm

chelle0227 (post: 1277001) wrote:I agree! what are they going to ban next little kids in cars because they are loud? Government doesn't need to interfer it's your car you bought it, they didn't i really don't think they should be able to tell you what to do in your own vehicle

The difficulty is that other people are endangered. While I'm a fan of reducing government intervention to the minimum, one of the government's objectives is to keep its citizens safe. It's not a simple issue. Both sides have to be taken into account.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby That Dude » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1276749) wrote:It just seems to me that many people here are over confident about their abilities are accidents waiting to happen.

Well I agree that there are many drivers who are overconfident, (I know I can be at moments) there are also those who just know their limits. I have a hard time driving and changing CD's but honestly as long as I'm the one receiving the call, I drive just as well and sometimes better when I'm on the phone, at least on the highway. It keeps me awake and aware...So I honestly think it's more of a matter of just knowing your limits and weaknesses and strengths while you are driving.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:53 pm

Welll....

to lighten the mood I will say this-

Because of cellphone radiation, we will all be sterile.
Therefore, we will not have children.
Therefore, our children will not be able to kill each other by driving and texting.
Therefore, all is good and happy.

Or something along those lines. Yknow, to lighten the mood ;p

^_^

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Mave » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:42 am

I employed headsets when I hit the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago after it became illegal to talk without one. I needed to talk 'coz like Nate commented, "I'm approaching Exit [ ] ! Am I close to that exit I'm supposed to take? Pls don't tell me it's one of those stupid exits on the LEFT??!!! No? Good. Gah, where is this Roosevelt Ave anyway?? Nooooooo, I think I just missed it!!" You know, sometimes Mapquest doesn't work.

I confess to talking on the phone/change CDs when I'm on one of those freeways with very few cars. It seemed OK if the probability of me killing a random stray cow is higher than hitting a car bumper then.
Mave

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:35 pm

Heh, even if cellphones are banned from cars, people will still find other ways to distract themselves and get into wrecks. Whatever you're doing in a car, don't get over confident.

At the same time, I can see a little warrant for certain laws. Tons of metal moving at 60 MPH is a danger to everyone. It's why we have lanes, lights, and speed limits.

I dunno. Just speculating XD

I think I feel a brain tumor coming on though.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1277329) wrote:I think I feel a brain tumor coming on though.

Cancer.
From radiation from the cellphones.
It'll make ya sterile, mhm.

-points to what I said before-

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Hmm. Ah well.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mave » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38 pm

[SIZE="6"]Problem solving session in progress:[/SIZE]

Problem: Ppl crashing their cars while talking on their cellphones and not paying attention to the roads

Solution: Ban cellphones while driving

Outstanding problem: Ppl still crashing cars, distracted by something else [i.e. screaming kid, changing CDs.] AKA it's everyone's fault, not mine!

Solution: Ban cars, trucks and all land-driven vehicles

Outstanding problem: Ppl still get rolled over by bicycles, ppl on skates still crash into each other, ppl still bump into each other while walking

Solution: Eliminate the human race

Outstanding problem: None left

[SIZE="6"]PROBLEM SOLVED[/SIZE]
Mave

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:42 pm

I second that.

I've already started a small colony of ants on Mars to carry out my legacy, so I'm good to be eliminated anytime ^_^ :thumbsup:

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby ADXC » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:56 pm

Excellent! I move that this notion be put into effect immediately! To start this I will ask you, blackroses, to be the person in causing death crashes across the nation of Canada!
ADXC

Postby White Raven » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:27 am

I have just one question.

Is texting worth the risk of hitting someone and potentially killing them?
Forget the law, forget going to jail for manslaughter. Is texting so important that you are willing to live with knowing you killed someone? Like say a child?

My niece was hit by a teen while he was talking on his phone. Her arm was badly broken and she had swelling on the brain, so she was rushed into surgery. Thankfully she is fine but it could have been much worse.
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:01 am

I read a story where a young man hit a father who was riding his bicycle and killed him, all because he took his eyes off the road for a few seconds to reply to a text message. That event has stayed with him since, and now he speaks out against text messaging while driving, because if someone like him could cause an accident and even kill someone, then anyone could.

Then here in CA there was the recent train collision accident, which most believe could have been completely avoided if the guy piloting the train had not been texting excessively before the accident happened.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:04 pm

I don't have a problem with a law and you can get one of those ear headset. There is nothing that I know of that says that you can't have one of those bluetooth ear head set and still talk with both your hands on the wheel.

Then here in CA there was the recent train collision accident, which most believe could have been completely avoided if the guy piloting the train had not been texting excessively before the accident happened.

It was true that he did a text massage that day, but they have alot of poof that he wasn't texting, when the accident happen. They think that the signal was mess up and gave him a green to go a head.

The thing that I don't get is why was he the only crew member on the engine. Most railroads have a two man crew in the cab at all times and he was the only one. The really believe that he may have been looking down at something or where the area was, it was kind of hard to see the signal untill you were right on top of it or the signal was green and it shouldn't have been.

But since that happen, the FRA has a new rule that train crews can't use a cell phone on a train. Which I don't see how that one is going to work, since the rule is, its still okay for train crews carry a cell phone with them. Which they have every right, since the crew sometimes has to use their cell phone to call the dispatcher, when they radio is not working in the cab of the engine.

From all the detail that I read over that whole thing and its been stuff that hasn't been release to news. That train accident was cause more to something else then just texting.

Still, he shouldn't have texting at all. That is not something that he was getting paid to do and a cell phone should be used only, when it is needed, both in a car or on a job.

I'm more worried about people texting then really talking on a phone, when driving anyway.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Previous

Return to General