The New Kindaichi Case Files - mystery manga. Please help!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

The New Kindaichi Case Files - mystery manga. Please help!

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:09 am

I own the Bilingual versions of The New Kindaichi Files published by Kodansha Bilingual Comics.

I have these titles spread over 6 volumes.

Murder at the Hotel Opera
The Ijinkanmura Murders
The Yukiyasha Legend Murders
The Amakusa Treasure Hunt Murders

The problem is that the manga doesn't seem to be published in English any more (other than the Tokyo Pop versions).
Obviously being a huge fan I want to buy more of them, but I'm not sure what ones I have and what ones I don't (the titles are different). Anyone care to help me out?

These are the titles I know I have (corresponding to the Tokyo Pop versions)

Tokyo Pop Version:
Vol. 1: The Opera House Murders =
Kodansha Bilingual Comics Version:
Murder at the Hotel Opera

TPV:
Vol. 2: The Mummy's Curse =
KBC:
The Ijinkanmura Murders

TPV:
Vol. 3: Death TV =
KBCV:
The Yukiyasha Legend Murders

TPV:
Vol. 5: Treasure Isle?
KBCV:
The Amakusa Treasure Hunt Murders

I'm wondering if Treasure Isle manga is the same as the Amakusa Treasure Hunt Murders manga. Both have a similar premise. In the Kodansha version I have there is a white-haired ogre that protects a rich treasure trove.
Anyone know if they are the same? Please help me out here.

Thanks!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Aka-chan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:46 pm

!!! Where did you get the bilingual Amakusa Murders? I read them in Japan but was never able to obtain a copy of my own...and I didn't get to finish it!!!
Aka-chan

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:38 am

I live in Australia but when I went to Japan recently I saw them in Kinokuniya Bookstore, Times Square, Shinjuki-dori, Tokyo and also Orion Books in Tachikawa, Tokyo (near the Palace Hotel).
The bilingual versions are so much better in their layout than the others.
Aka-chan, do you live in Japan per chance?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Aka-chan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:10 am

Hm...I'll check some Japanese bookstores, maybe. Thanks for the tip!

Alas, I am no longer in Japan, though I spent a brief amount of time there.
Aka-chan

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:04 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I'm wondering if Treasure Isle manga is the same as the Amakusa Treasure Hunt Murders manga. Both have a similar premise. In the Kodansha version I have there is a white-haired ogre that protects a rich treasure trove.
Anyone know if they are the same? Please help me out here.

I'm not sure. I haven't read Volume 5: Treasure Isle but look at this.
Wikipedia has a listing of the cases and a brief description of most.

#5 Treasure Isle is rumored to hide a vast bounty of gold said to be guarded by the legendary beast "Yamawara", which Kindaichi and other treasure hunters gather to search for. But the host is killed before the group even arrives, and a bloody slaying takes place during a time in which none of the people on the island could have done it. Will the island's mythical monster-guardian claim more victims?

or

#22 Divine Treasure of Kotousu is a long lost treasure belonged to Catholics in Ancient Japan, guarded by a White Hair Ghost. Not caring much about the legend, Kindaichi — who desperately needed the money and by invitation — went to Kotousu to hunt for the treasure. However, just like in "Treasure Isle," the treasure hunters started to die one by one, one during a time when all the hunters are present and accounted for! Will Kindaichi be able to find the murderer, and get some money for himself too?

Which one sounds closer to the one you have? I'm inclined to think the first one if Kodansha was printing the bilinguals mostly in order but...

Also, you might look for help here: http://messageboard.tokyopop.com/forums/
The Tokyopop editors could probably help you more than I could.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Rogie » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:32 pm

Moved to the Manga forum.

This series does sound good. I'll have to try it out someday.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:01 pm

Thanks Master Dias. I've checked Wikipedia for it before but never looked through all the detail there. It seems Tokyo Pop aren't doing them in order.
My manga sounds a lot more like #22 Divine Treasure of Kotousu than #5 Treasure Isle. There is mention of an white-haired ogre, Ancient Japanese Catholics and a treasure. That's definetly the one. Thanks a lot mate!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews