Life: Serious, real...sad

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Life: Serious, real...sad

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 31, 2006 1:56 am

has anyone heard of this title? (Life) I just picked up volume one.. It's really sad...and it deals with issues that a lot of teens deal with. SAD issues like cutting, suicide, gangs and bullying.

I like the art work in this story a lot...and the cahracters aren't perfect looking little girls...but rather more average looking...

Like I said this is a really sad yet real series. I don't think it's for those who have BIG problems with the issues..but for someone like me who has never experience these feelings (thankfully) It's interesting to try to understand what goes through the minds of those who are in pain. (I know..it's just a manga..but at the end of the manga there is a note from a psycologist who talks about those who cut...

I don't give this manga a 10/10...but it's still rather good...from a serious lefvel.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Linksquest » Wed May 31, 2006 10:16 am

hmmn, I haven't neither heard of nor read this manga, but it sounds interesting. I agree with you, CR, that I don't think people with those problems or have had those problems should read it, however.

Does it merely discuss such topics or does it show things in violent detail?
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 31, 2006 1:27 pm

I am not sure if it's *violent* but...it makes one a bit uncomfortable when reading it...but I think that uncomfortable is more. "People really go through this?!" And some blood is shown... and they show a character cutting herself...and one person attempt to commit suicide...

It's a serious manga..it's not meant for comedy... I don't think.. I wonder if the author is trying to send a message out there....

Scary thing is...while I have never ever had the tendancy to cut myself..of commit suicide... Reading what the girls in thie book go through... It makes me wonder and praise God that I have Him in my life... because I think if I DIDN't have Him.. I would be in the same boat these girls are....
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Hitokiri » Wed May 31, 2006 6:35 pm

I really want to try this series out but my bookstore havn't begun to carry it yet.
Hitokiri

Postby Linksquest » Wed May 31, 2006 6:45 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:I am not sure if it's *violent* but...it makes one a bit uncomfortable when reading it

But I mean... does it SHOW anything... or merely discuss the issues?
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.

Linksquest

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 31, 2006 7:41 pm

yes it does show stuff....it shows the girl cutting herself..and you can see the blood and stuff...it's not lovely...but like i said it's realistic...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Linksquest » Wed May 31, 2006 7:47 pm

Thank you for the clarification. The title makes it seem all the more interesting, but I don't know if I would be able to stomach such images. I will have to think more on this, please report more if you continue reading it.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby Kisa » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:21 pm

I heard about it and it seems like it deals with alot of real life issues and should be left to the discriminate reader. I put it in the same category as Confidential Confessions.
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Kkun » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:08 am

Kisa wrote:I heard about it and it seems like it deals with alot of real life issues and should be left to the discriminate reader. I put it in the same category as Confidential Confessions.

Definitely. Actually, it sounds as though it's exactly like Confidential Confessions, right down to one of the early volumes being about cutting. I don't know if I'm going to check this out, because I read a couple of books of Confidential Confessions out of morbid curiosity at Borders one day. They were so depressing I had to read some Johnny, The Homocidal Maniac afterward for a laugh.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:17 am

CC was very depressing, And I've only read 2 volumes. Life sounds a little... tamer.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:39 pm

Never read CC but I did just pick up Life today.

I am not to big on the art style but I am liking the storyline. It is actually helping me understand people who cut. I got into a arguement in a board over people who cut basically, and I am ashamed, saying it's thier fault and they are only seeking attention because they few so low about themselves. Well - I got my butt handed on a plate by them when they begun to reveal the world of cutting to me and I began to understand them a bit more.

I still think cutting is really, really stupid but now I have compassion - instead of loathing - towards thus who do choose this path.
Hitokiri

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews