Manwha now in stores!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Manwha now in stores!

Postby Kisa » Tue May 30, 2006 8:57 pm

Well if you like manga you will probably try out manwha (korean manga) now found side by side with manga in stores.
My favs atm are Moon Boy and Bring it On!
What are some you like or if any? I think the different style is pretty too ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Arnobius » Tue May 30, 2006 9:23 pm

Is it coming back? I thought TokyoPop and ADV had abandoned the manhwa titles.
Arnobius

Postby KBMaster » Wed May 31, 2006 5:09 am

I thought it was already out in stores! Last July, I got a free booklet featuring the hottest new manwha(but, YEESH, if that's the hottest, then I don't think I'm ALLOWED to read manwha! :wow!: ), so I thought that was advertising. When did it go off the shelves?
KBMaster

Postby Linksquest » Wed May 31, 2006 10:09 am

I saw some of "manwha" at B&N when I was looking at some of the art books they had there. At first I was like "I... didn't even know this existed! *stares* I LIKE IT!" :lol: I really do like it's style. For some reason, it seems more realitic in proportions than Anime... either that or the manwha drawing books I saw were showing how to draw manwha realistically.

I haven't heard of any titles that are good in this style, but I would be glad to here which ones you guys have read/liked.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 31, 2006 10:46 am

Like manga, the quality varies based on the author. One thing I noticed was (based on the titles I saw) they seemed to be a bit more reserved in the fanservice and sexual content than the manga were (I think South Korea is stricter here). Of course I have not seen any M rated manhwa either so it may be that at the more mature end it can be just as bad.

I recall that ADV and TokyoPop had released some titles but the ones I was interested in (50 Rules for Teenagers, Love or Money) did not go beyond one or two volumes before Borders/Waldenbooks quit carrying them
Arnobius

Postby Kisa » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:18 pm

Yea they do seem to be more reserved in the questionable content area. I like that.
The titles I have been following seem pretty good so far, they are clean and the stories seem more to draw you in immediatley than some mangas which take a couple volumes to get the story going.
One I have also read through scanlation( Replay) is what got me into manwha.
Also ADV and Tokyo Pop arent the ones putting these out, it is a new company called Ice Kunion (I think) you can go to koreanmanwha.com and see their titles.
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews