Azumanga... manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Azumanga... manga

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Well, after I finished my thin pack of the anime, I was interested in the manga... now I've browsed through one before and I know the the entire thing is made up of 4-panels, but my question is: how similar is it to the anime? I know getting manga AFTER anime can be fun, since in most cases the story can be quite different. I already know that the manga doesn't include Kagura (at least assume so, since she isn't even mentioned in any of the volume previews). So I'm just wondering if there's anything more to hope for from going from the anime and into the manga? (Without adding spoilers, of course^^)
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Arnobius » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:28 pm

many of the story arcs from the manga are in the anime, with some changes.
Arnobius

Postby Allegro » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:55 pm

Personally, I found Azumanga Daioh more interesting in it's four-panel "gag" format, which I guess would account for it's uniqueness aside from the anime.

There are a few subtle changes translation-wise in the manga that is quite noticable when you go back towards watching the anime, which is interesting if you like to nitpick over certain details. Aside from the story arcs included from manga to anime, there are scenarios not found in the anime that are notably funny.
Allegro

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:44 am

Yup, Azumanga Daioh is put in a 4-Panel Western-style type of comic. But it fits great. There are the same story arcs, but since it's an anime, it's much shorter. But it still gives you lots of laughs :lol: definately worth the 40 bucks!

By the way: Kagura is in the Manga. She gets a lot of screen (or should I say paper?) time as well.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:59 am

Kagura enters the story in volume three, I believe, when classses are reassigned. Personally, I liked the manga better than the anime. I thought it was much more funny. If you liked the anime, I'd give the manga a try. I'm pretty sure there will be atleast a fair amount of material which wasn't in the anime.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Gypsy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:01 am

Azumanga is the only thing I've ever read that made me laugh so hard that I fell off the chair I was sitting on. I always thought that was an expression, and while there was no rolling, it was as close to a real-live ROFLM*B*O (heh *b*, get it?) experience as I bet I'll ever get. I think it had to do with Miss Yukari and Osaka. Mr. SmartyPants is right - they are well worth the money.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Steeltemplar » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:43 am

One thing I found odd in the manga was the way that they translated the stereotypical Osakan catchphrase ("Nandeyane"). In the manga they said "fuggedaboutit" in the New York style. The anime subtitle was "What the heck?". Not that either made that much sense to me, but the anime version seemed less incongruous as it was not taken from American culture.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby termyt » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:23 am

There were many instances in the manga that physically forced me to stop reading the book for several minutes while I stopped laughing and wiped the tears from my eyes so I could read again. It's that good.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:34 am

Wow... maybe I will look into it... last time I saw them was on the clearance side of this one comic store. Hopefully they'll still be there :/
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Lynx » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:13 pm

it is very similar to the anime tho. there is some differences, but dont expect something complete different. it's good tho!
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Arnobius » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:53 pm

Steeltemplar wrote:One thing I found odd in the manga was the way that they translated the stereotypical Osakan catchphrase ("Nandeyane"). In the manga they said "fuggedaboutit" in the New York style. The anime subtitle was "What the heck?". Not that either made that much sense to me, but the anime version seemed less incongruous as it was not taken from American culture.

It was regrettable that the first half of volume one of the manga they totally Americanized the comics, changing cultural items and references and in some cases rewriting jokes entirely (the comic "Fuggeddaboudit" on p 29 of volume 1 is a travesty and would be better read as follows:
(Basically Tomo has a very stereotyped view of the Kansai region of Japan, and expects everyone to act like Manzai comedy performers) [which can be viewed in Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi]

This was a case where having the Japanese version was a must have. Lines in English are rewritten to be Spanish or German in this volume and Yukari is recast as a Spanish teacher.

Approximately half way through volume 1, the quality improves though.
Arnobius

Postby Neko Niisan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:57 am

I agree, the book is an absolute riot and if you like the anime then the books are definetly worth reading. Mant of the story lines are much the same but the book follows in a more chronologically order (each book being a school year for the girls in high school). You also get a lot more into the girls outside of school as well as some hilarious gags that wouldn't work on screen.

This is one of the few mangas that made me laugh out loud and if you knew me, you'd know that that doesn't happen very often.
Will insert something intelligent here later... maybe

Where I doth lurk:
[MySpace][Facebook][DeviantART][No I have no life]
Neko Niisan

Postby meboeck » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:52 pm

If you read the manga, you will regognize a lot of the storylines, but since the manga is in four-panel format, they can do a lot of unique things with it. I personally think many of the gags are pulled off better in the manga than in the anime, so even if you regognize a scene from the anime, it certainly won't lose its touch. As far as funny manga goes, Azumanga Daioh is definitely my favorite.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Allegro » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:31 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Approximately half way through volume 1, the quality improves though.
The localization in volume 1 is very noticable, but the remaining volumes were pretty consistent. I was a bit surprised at some of the swearing in this volume; I am pretty certain that it was a translation decision to include those, and not Mr. Azuma's.
Allegro

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:43 pm

termyt wrote:There were many instances in the manga that physically forced me to stop reading the book for several minutes while I stopped laughing and wiped the tears from my eyes so I could read again. It's that good.

I feel ya there buddy! Same applies with Yotsubato!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Arnobius » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:08 pm

[quote="Allegro"]The localization in volume 1 is very noticable, but the remaining volumes were pretty consistent. I was a bit surprised at some of the swearing in this volume]
"Well, in some of the panels it depended on how the translation was handled. The Japanese word itself is not allowed on CAA (or so a mod once told me :sweat: ), but that word in the manga is one of the translations of it.
Arnobius

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:15 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I feel ya there buddy! Same applies with Yotsubato!

I know that manga's made by the same author and all... can someone maybe give me a short summary on what it's about? ^^ Oh and who is it licensed by (cause I'm pretty sure it is...)

AnimeHeretic wrote:"Well, in some of the panels it depended on how the translation was handled. The Japanese word itself is not allowed on CAA (or so a mod once told me :sweat: ), but that word in the manga is one of the translations of it.

When it comes to swearing and stuff, I wouldn't be surprised^^ Even though things can translate from things like "shoot" and "darn" to... worst :/ Depends on the way it's used.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Allegro » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:28 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:"Well, in some of the panels it depended on how the translation was handled. The Japanese word itself is not allowed on CAA (or so a mod once told me :sweat: ), but that word in the manga is one of the translations of it.
My guess is that you're referring to the Japanese word that sounds sort of similiar to "lie" in Japanese? ;)

I guess I haven't really looked up the original version in kanji to know for sure. Volumes 2-4 had less of the more "major" English swear words than in the first, which I guess meant that they changed their decision over how they were to translate it.. But it's been a while since I've read the manga, so I'll have to review that.

Though I have heard the word mentioned in the anime, but translated in a "lighter" English reference.
Allegro

Postby termyt » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:35 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:I know that manga's made by the same author and all... can someone maybe give me a short summary on what it's about? ^^ Oh and who is it licensed by (cause I'm pretty sure it is...)

Sure. Check out this thread:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=21597
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews