What is my mangakaing artstyle similar to?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

What is my mangakaing artstyle similar to?

Postby Mave » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:02 pm

I decided that this is best placed where manga readers most likely roam.

I've curious to know what my mangakaing artstyle looks like in comparison with other manga titles out there. The purpose of this enquiry is to determine whether my personal artstyle looks like some ripoff of another existing manga series.

I would like to think that I'm greatly inspired by Watsuki Nobuhiro (Rurouni Kenshin) but am not sure if my style is truly close to it (it's not like I draw action scenes/hopping rurounis) OR if I've moved on to integrate elements from another mangaka instead OR my style is truly my own. My webmanga titles are at the following links:

http://www.kcome.net/kcome/kcome.html
http://www.kcome.net/home/home.html

Thanks for your insight in advance! It will be useful as I continue to explore various mangakaing artstyles.

**Other webmanga artists are more than welcomed to use this thread for this type of enquiry for their own projects.
Mave

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:50 pm

I think that, while your style does lightly reflect some of Nobuhiro Watsuki's artwork, it really seems that you've grown into your own, unique style. There was one character picture that especially reminded me of his work; it was of a character named Francis, and it only showed his face up to his bangs. I did enjoy the little Kenshin action figure you had on the TV set, though...Nice touch, I must say! XD Anyways, I think you've got an awesome style, and I really do think that you've really made it your own. Anyways, keep up the great work!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:52 am

It's always reminded me of Watsuki's art.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:13 am

I agree with the inspiration from Watsuki but you also have you're own style, Mave, that's really good.
Hitokiri

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:33 pm

I'm never read any of Watsuki's manga, so your style has always seemed very fresh and original to me.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:04 pm

have you read his latest title, "Busou Renkin"? The artwork's a lot different from rurouni kenshin. REALLY different.
jon_jinn

Postby Sakura15 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:11 pm

I havent read Watsuki's manga either. So yours seems unique to me ^-^
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:01 am

I suppose, now that you mention it, you could see a bit of Watsuki-sensei's influence, but overall, if someone were to show me a piece of KCome artwork, I'd probably say, "Hey, that's Mave's art."

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:20 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:I suppose, now that you mention it, you could see a bit of Watsuki-sensei's influence, but overall, if someone were to show me a piece of KCome artwork, I'd probably say, "Hey, that's Mave's art."

I agree, now that I think about it there are a few similarities. Sometimes your eyes sort of show a Watsuki influence, but overal I'd have to say I consider your style unique. Personally I'd actually say it has more of a anime style to it since you always have such nice smooth lines/outlines.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:40 am

I see a variety of influences, but not just one. I'd say your style is definitely your own.
Aka-chan

Postby Da Rabid Duckie » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:15 am

I would say your style is similar to "butt-kick" more than anything else. *glomps Mave* :hug:
Da Rabid Duckie -- Taking Over Your Country In Three Posts Or Less.

Join the Proud Nation of Temuoplis! Koei, Temuoplis!

Law of Japanese Animation #11 (Law of Inherent Combustibility)
Everything explodes. Everything.

In both real life and video games,
anything can be solved through the mass application of explosives. -- The Duck

Da Rabid Duckie, concerning Gypsy wrote:Gypsy doesn't realize this, but she's ditching whomever she's with and we're getting married. Uh huh. Yeah. Lil bro Zilch can be the best man, it'll be an explosive ceremony. Everyone is invited! We'll serve poutine at the reception, Straylight can DJ, and Shatterheart can start a mosh pit!
Gypsy, in acceptance wrote:Explosives and poutine? Alright!
Hey... she said it... :p
Da Rabid Duckie

Postby Mave » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:53 pm

Thank you, folks for your kind and important feedback! XD Now, I have more peace of mind and can continue drawing. :)
Mave

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews