Does anyone here read the Tokyopop American manga?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Does anyone here read the Tokyopop American manga?

Postby rocklobster » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:50 am

Just wondering how picky you folks are.
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:42 am

I've been reading Roadsong online and I'm also probably going to start reading Sorcerers and Secretaries.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:34 pm

Many more of these and I'll have to start cutting down on them. But I'll let this one go.

I have nothing against the principle of people creating stories in manga styles regardless of their origins. That having been said, I'm not very impressed with most of Tokyopop's new selection. That having been said, I read the free stuff and there are a few titles I intend to pursue.
uc pseudonym

Postby Maledicte » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:10 pm

I'm fairly happy with DramaCon, and am interested in East Coast Rising, drawn by an artist I like. Also I've heard of a Work Bites full-length manga coming out, but I haven't seen it yet.
Maledicte

Postby TrigunX89 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:49 am

I've only read parts from the free Manga mag that TokyoPop is is putting out. So far, DramaCon is the only one that has impressed me. I generally think the term "American Manga" is an oxymoron.
TrigunX89

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:41 pm

I've very much enjoyed "Van Von Hunter" and "Psy-Comm", and I am a huge fan of "Rising Stars of Manga". I'm a little underwhelmed at the rest of it. I'm looking forward to more good stuff coming out of this venture.

BTW, Trigun, "American Manga" is not an oxymoron; it describes a very definite, distinct breed apart from American comics. We have to have something to call it, and this name makes more sense than any other.

Whether it is "legit manga" however, you remain perfectly free to decide however you like, of course. But consider this: given that Tokyopop is currently sponsoring one cross-border Manga, published both here and in Japan, which is the co-product of American and Japanese mangaka (Princess Ai, I'm referring to,) the boundary between "Real Manga" and "American Manga" is already blurring.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:02 am

I'll add that I am waiting impatiently for "Mail Order Ninja" to come out, also. The short in "Rising Stars of Manga" that this is to be based on was hilarious (and it is available online on their website, so you can see for yourself.)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby soul alive » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:03 pm

I've enjoyed Van VonHunter online and will probably buy it once I finish a few other series I'm currently getting. DramaCon also looked worth a second look.

And just because it's funny, the publishing date for the second volume of Fairies Landing (sp?) is 2050. *snerk* sounds like my production schedule.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Icarus » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:00 pm

I've read DramaCon, and Sorcerers and Secretaries. Most of the rest I have a hard time adjusting to the art style.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Ashley » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:05 pm

Oddly enough I like Sea Princess Azuri much more than I thought I would. It seemed very childish at first (by the cover, anyway) but it's got a lot of depth and a very creative, aesthetically-pleasing style that I like a lot, and a good story to boot. Sorcerers & Secretaries had me picqued from the art on the tokyopop calendar that came with Furuba #12, but I haven't been astounded by it. Juror 13 looks interesting, if only that it's suspenseful and that's not something I see a whole lot of. I find Dramacon fairly amusing, as well.
Ashley

Postby termyt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:45 am

I read quite a few Tokyopop titles, so I guess I'm not very picky at all.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews