Question about DEAth Note

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Question about DEAth Note

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:19 pm

In the American release, it says that some of the art has been modified (At least in volume 1), so what does that mean? Where was it modified?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:08 pm

That surprises me. There isn't anything offensive for them to modify, and when I skimmed the Viz edition of the first volume nothing leapt out as having been changed.

Here is a purely theoretical answer: Death Note, by its nature, relies on many words and these are frequently worked into the art itself. They might have translated signs/stores/computers, which would require modification because these are directly worked into the art (especially because Japanese and English read in different directions).
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:20 pm

Since it isn't specific, I'd imagine that refers to sound effects or the things that UC mentioned.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:58 pm

I would assume UC's theory is correct. My only other thought is that there's one portion of the manga in which Light buys some magazines which feature bikini-clad women trying to look provacative. Since I never read the scanlations, I don't know if the girls in the manga were originally wearing bikinis or not. I would assume they were, but that just seemed like another opportunity when something might have been switched up a little.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby MasterDias » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:43 pm

Nah, if it was actual content edits, it would have likely said something to the effect of "Some scenes of violence and nudity have been altered from the original Japanese edition."
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:46 pm

The modification of the art refers to the sound effects being changed into english, as is VIZ's policy. TOKYOPOP doesn't do this.

The women in the magazines have bikinis in the original version.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:03 pm

Impact Alberto wrote:The modification of the art refers to the sound effects being changed into english, as is VIZ's policy. TOKYOPOP doesn't do this.

random note: Darkhorse also leaves them intact. Viz is evil...but I can't complain because they brought us Kenshin manga. (sorry for going off topic)
Ichigo_89

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:05 pm

ZIPO_MASTER* wrote:Viz is evil...

Yeah, I know. I hate it when something is translated so I can read it. I want to be left in the dark about such things! :eyeroll:

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby That Dude » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:08 pm

I believe a lot of the retouched art is also the placing of word bubbles and whatnot...Seeing as some phrases are translated either longer or shorter than the originals.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:46 am

MasterDias wrote:Nah, if it was actual content edits, it would have likely said something to the effect of "Some scenes of violence and nudity have been altered from the original Japanese edition."

Good. I'm glad to hear that. :)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:06 am

I actually prefer Viz's policy of modifying sound effects. They're so integral to the artwork of the manga medium that having them in another language ruins what the author intended. Face it, unless you can read Japanese they're just a bunch of lines.
uc pseudonym

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:02 am

I like it when they translate the SFX, though they did a really crappy job in some places in the RK manga.

I had a feeling it was comething like that UC. The DEAth Note instructions were overlaid with English. In Rurouni Kenshin, there is no disclaimer about the art being modified.
Shao Feng-Li

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews