From the creater of Azumanga Daioh...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:39 pm

Yostuba will make you happy.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby soul alive » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:39 pm

very happy indeed XD XD

i laughed so hard when i was reading this i was almost in tears, and i snorted a few times as well (ah, i deplore my snort feature... i wish my laugh came without it, but *shrugs*)

when.. [spoiler] yotsuba hits jumbo on the head with the bug net, and he sinks to his knees in pain, and she asks him if it's something he ate... [/spoiler] i about burst a gut i was laughing so hard. (excuse my poor grammar, lol)

i can't wait for the second one to come out, and would be a very happy person indeed if they made an anime.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Starfire1 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:00 am

*screams and breaks the sound barrier* Must...find...must...find...
Only a dead thing goes with the stream. Only a living thing can go against it.

USSRGirl wrote:>.< No. Because I say it tastes of evil. And everyone is entitled to my opinion.

"It is impossible to end hatred with hatred"-Gandi

Adopted by Mega.EXE
Adopted: KhakiBlueSocks, ShadowChild
Starfire1

Postby oro! » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:08 pm

I just borrowed it from the library! It was SOOOO funny! I am in agreement wit the person who said that it was the funniest manga read in a long time. I must go to the store and read more! I thought it was cool that her "dad" is a translator. I wonder what language he knows.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Kisa » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:16 am

Its so funny and Yotsuba is so cute ^^ Is vol 4 out yet???
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby termyt » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:21 am

It's not out yet, and I don't even have a date for its release, yet.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Icarus » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:18 pm

I would be a much happier young man if I could find my copy of volume two.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Hahahaha! I just bought this one on Thursday, and OH MY GOSH. It's the funniest manga I've read!! Yotsuba is SO adorable!! When I saw it in the bookstore, I thought, "Oh, I've heard this is funny." So I read the back. As soon as I read about her "unnatural fear of air conditioners," I knew I had to buy it. :lol: I absolutely LOVE the scene where Yotsuba learns about "glow ball warning"..."My dad is an ENEMY of the EARTH!!" Hahaha, I almost DIED! And the scene where Jumbo and Koiwai fight about Koiwai's wearing pants...THAT was amazing. XD And everytime one of the neighbors met Jumbo..."You're HUGE!!" :lol: !! WAY too funny, and super clean! I love it, and I'm craving more. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:54 pm

Kireihana wrote:Does anyone know the meaning of the "&" at the end of the title?

Since several others have almost, but not quite, answered this question for the poster, I will take a whack at clarifying it.

Think Harry Potter. All the books are titled "Harry Potter and insert-subject-of-book-here". Every installment (chapter) of Yotsuba& as a subject, and it is essentially the story of Yotsuba encountering that subject, generally for the first time. So it's as if the writer of Harry Potter had entitled the series "Harry Potter and".

Yotsuba is both every parent's nightmare (she will wander off anywhere at the drop of a hat) and every parent's dream (she is a walking heart-of-pure-gold and the very definition of joyful enthusiasm.) She is probably my most favorite manga character ever.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:03 am

Kireihana wrote:Does anyone know the meaning of the "&" at the end of the title?

Sorry for gravedigging, but I havent seen this to be answered yet. As we all know, the & sign means "and" and in Japanese "and" is "to" (I believe) so in essence, Yotsuba&! = YotsubaAnd! = Yotsubato!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Lynx » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:11 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Sorry for gravedigging, but I havent seen this to be answered yet. As we all know, the & sign means "and" and in Japanese "and" is "to" (I believe) so in essence, Yotsuba&! = YotsubaAnd! = Yotsubato!

yes, you are correct MSP. "to" is the particle used to mean "and", but only when linking nouns.
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Neko Niisan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:40 am

This sounds like a riot. If its by Kiyohki Azuma then i'll have to save my penny for it.
Will insert something intelligent here later... maybe

Where I doth lurk:
[MySpace][Facebook][DeviantART][No I have no life]
Neko Niisan

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:49 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Sorry for gravedigging, but I havent seen this to be answered yet. As we all know, the & sign means "and" and in Japanese "and" is "to" (I believe) so in essence, Yotsuba&! = YotsubaAnd! = Yotsubato!

Actually it's Yotsuba "and"... You will notice on the title of each chapter in the manga it is Yotsuba and something. Yotsuba and flowers! Yotsuba and the neighbors! Yotsuba and the police officer!, etc. Therefore the creator of the manga just named it Yotsuba&! with the "&! in anticipation of everything Yotsuba would be doing and interacting with.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby yukinon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:50 am

I looove Kiyohiko's sense of humor. It's so random, but so real and everyday.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Arnobius » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:41 am

Since it's been gravedug, I've noticed it's been awhile since we've had a new volume. Hope this wasn't one of the many titles ADV cut
Arnobius

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:27 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Since it's been gravedug, I've noticed it's been awhile since we've had a new volume. Hope this wasn't one of the many titles ADV cut

Right after volume 3 came out it was announced that ADV was working with a company in Japan to produce a project. Since that time there has been no announcement about the publication of volume 4. My earnest hope is that they are looking to develop Yotsuba as an anime series and that the manga will then continue in conjunction with that. Wishful thinking perhaps, but this is what I am anticipating.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Arnobius » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:43 pm

Rev. Doc wrote:Right after volume 3 came out it was announced that ADV was working with a company in Japan to produce a project. Since that time there has been no announcement about the publication of volume 4. My earnest hope is that they are looking to develop Yotsuba as an anime series and that the manga will then continue in conjunction with that. Wishful thinking perhaps, but this is what I am anticipating.

Well, it could work... though I've found few anime are as good as the manga they are based on. I'd rather they allow the author to continue as it is instead of risk stifling him with the need to produce anime accessable material

According to Wiki, there is a 4th volume in Japan:

* 22. Yotsuba & Competition (よつばと勝負 Yotsuba to Shōbu): 18 August
* 23. Yotsuba & Fishing (よつばと釣り Yotsuba to Tsuri): 19 August
* 24. Yotsuba & Dinner (よつばとばんごはん Yotsuba to Bangohan): 20 August
* Break - Yotsuba & 4 Panels (休憩 よつばと4コマ Kyūhei - Yotsuba to Yon-Koma): 21 August
* 25. Yotsuba & Adolescence (よつばとせいしゅん Yotsuba to Seishun) 22 August
* 26. Yotsuba & Newspapers (よつばとしんぶん Yotsuba to Shinbun): 23 August
* 27. Yotsuba & Tsukutsukuboshi (よつばとつくつくぼうし Yotsuba to Tsukutsukubōshi): 24 August
Arnobius

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Actually, from my understanding, I thought that Yotsuba&! only had four volumes. If that's the case, then I would LOVE for them to make an anime. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:57 pm

Rev. Doc wrote:Actually it's Yotsuba "and"... You will notice on the title of each chapter in the manga it is Yotsuba and something. Yotsuba and flowers! Yotsuba and the neighbors! Yotsuba and the police officer!, etc. Therefore the creator of the manga just named it Yotsuba&! with the "&! in anticipation of everything Yotsuba would be doing and interacting with.

Well that too of course. But I'm reffering as to why it's called "Yotsubato" and not "Yotsuba" or "Yotsuba And!"
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby yukinon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:22 am

I'm aware that they started out in different formats, but didn't Azu only have four volumes as well?
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby termyt » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am

AnimeHeretic wrote:Well, it could work... though I've found few anime are as good as the manga they are based on. I'd rather they allow the author to continue as it is instead of risk stifling him with the need to produce anime accessable material

I don't think they'd be stifling Azuma, just delaying the releases of Yotsubato in the US. I'd love to see it animated, but it could be a trick duplicating Yotsuba's naiveté in animation. If they pull it off though…
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews