Tactics 2 - A fangirl's heartbreak.

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Tactics 2 - A fangirl's heartbreak.

Postby Debitt » Fri May 20, 2005 9:18 pm

I've waited 5 long months for this day. For the day I'd FINALLY get to read the one volume of Tactics that I haven't read before. And now that I finally have it...there is sadness.

Now don't get me wrong. I think next to volume 5, volume 2 is by far my favorite. x3 There's lots of Edwards! And Kantarou works in a church as a Japanese interpreter, which made me squeal with fangirly happiness. But...there is still sadness.

You see, ADV thought it was appropriate to randomly change the genders of Sugino and Muu-chan. So now one of the most lovely bishounen in the series is a girl. And his wife is now a boy. Apparently.

Now I wouldn't be so upset about this if Sakura Kinoshita failed to drop any hints to Sugino's gender. However...this isn't the case.

Sugino refers to himself with "ore" - a Japanese pronoun equivalent to "I" that is mainly used by men. Therefore it is safe to assume that the person he is married to (Muu-chan) is female.

This revelation makes me sad. Not only are their genders COMPLETELY wrong, but Muu-chan also happens to have a fangirly crush on Kantarou. So now we have incorrect genders and ADV sending the impression that a married youkai is gay...

*sighs* ...I must write to ADV and right this wrong...this is just too terrible...

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby chibi_chan » Fri May 20, 2005 9:22 pm

ahgrkssdkfhsjsdsjkhf! O.O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :waah!: :waah!: :waah!: :waah!: :waah!: :waah!: :waah!: ADV I will never ever ever support you again! *shoots self* TT_TT
happy go luck monkey!
ImageImage

akai tsuki wo nagameteta kara nakitai hodo boku no fuan wa
itsumo kioku no katasumi ni kasabuta mitai ni nokoru yo
itai kurai kirei datta kedo hikari no naka no boku no kage wo
ano takai kanransha de dareka ga waratta ki ga shita

hitsuji no kigurumi wo kita mama yaseta otoko no ko ga odokete
haku iki wo shiroku sasete inoru youni te wo awaseta
ano ko to sora no aida ni wa toumei na nanika ga aru kara
kitto negai wa todokanai sukoshi samuku naru yuuenchi

nanimokamo uso ni naru daremo inaku naru

boku no naka no boku wo itsuka katai GARASU bin ni tsumete
hi no ataru niwa no kadan ni koneko to issho ni umeyou
mizutamari ni utsuru kao wa tsumetai ame de gushagusha ni
chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridashita yo

maboroshi no BERU ga nari keshiki ga kasumi daseba
nanimokamo uso ni naru daremo inaku naru

boku no naka no boku wo itsuka katai GARASU bin ni tsumete
hi no ataru niwa no kadan ni koneko to issho ni umeyou
mizutamari ni utsuru kao wa tsumetai ame de gushagusha ni
chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridasu yo

yasashiku gin'iro no ame ga machi no subete ni furisosogu
michi no haji de sagashiteita boku wo yatto mitsuketa
isu no ue ni hana no ue ni ashi ga nai roba no senaka ni
komakai ame ga furisosogu boku no ue ni mo _____.
song: Hontou no Uso by PLastic Tree lyrics:anime lyrics
chibi_chan

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat May 21, 2005 1:52 am

::Blows up ADV::

::punches dead ADV translator's in the face::

::Stands around awkwardly::
Joshua Christopher

Postby Debitt » Wed May 25, 2005 8:01 pm

I went a little nutty and wrote a review about this on Amazon.com. ^_^

[quote="Kokoro's Amazon.com review"]Before I say anything else about the quality of this volume of Tactics, I must say this: Tactics by Sakura Kinoshita and Kazuko Higashiyama is one of the most beautiful manga series I have seen in a long time. I have been following the series in Japanese for a good while now, and from the very beginning I fell in love with the lovely art work and captivating characters that the two artists have created. At times the action was confusing and the dialogue less than perfect, but in the entire scheme of things, it's an enjoyable series that'll be sure to leave appreciating individuals hooked. Volume-wise, I'd have to say this installment of Tactics is one of the best out of the 6 book (and counting) series with a nice mix of humor and serious situations and a plot that's been nicely smoothed out since the first volume.

However, it would seem that with every good comes something indescribably bad. Thus is the case with ADV's translation of this most excellent manga. It would seem that both the translators and the editors were half asleep when they released this. The first and most disturbing problem with the translation is the gender bending of two core characters, Sugino and Muu-chan (who happens to be known as Myu in ADV's version, though the Japanese text clearly refers to her as "Muu"). Sugino is described in the translation as "she" while Muu-chan/Myu is referred to as "he". This couldn't be more incorrect. Yes, Sugino and Muu-chan/Myu are a married couple, but Sugino happens to be the male of the relationship, and in the original Japanese uses an exclusively male pronoun ("ore") to refer to himself. It's disappointing to me that a high school student such as myself, who has only one year of formal Japanese classes under her belt, was able to pick out such a glaring mistake.

Furthermore, the back of both volumes 1 and 2 describe the manga as being set in the "feudal era" or "medieval era" of Japan - a laughable mistake, seeing as there are fairly obvious clues pointing to a late 1800's or early 1900's setting. Example? The presence of automobiles, soda-pop, movie theaters, western style clothing, trains, and Catholic priests from Great Britain.

All in all, Tactics volume 2 is an excellent read, with a fun story line, new characters, and admirable art and character designs. However I only give it 3 stars for its rather disappointing translation. But, you know, there's nothing a little white out can't fix. ]

Debitt

Postby AngelSakura » Thu May 26, 2005 2:18 pm

<<::Blows up ADV::

::punches dead ADV translator's in the face::

::Stands around awkwardly::>>
*claps* FUNimation next!

<<I went a little nutty and wrote a review about this on Amazon.com. ^_^>>
*claps some more* Good for you!
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu May 26, 2005 7:27 pm

*claps for your Amazon review* AMEN MY SISTER!! Tell those ignorant masses~

I have lost hope in ADV ToT But I still have to buy FMP so I can't boycott them... <.< At least most of their dubs are decent...

.... Poor Sugino!! If they get the anime I wonder how they'll explain this... If I remember, Sugino does have a somewhat masculine voice.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Nate » Thu May 26, 2005 8:19 pm

Heh...Kokoro-chan, that was the first thing I noticed when I started reading it.

"Hey...this says it's in feudal Japan...but they're driving a car. What the...?"

Switched the two genders entirely? Man, that's retarded...the translation was already kinda shaky. I like the series, but...man, do they have freakin' IDIOTS working in the translation department or something?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Debitt » Fri May 27, 2005 11:34 am

:lol: Sugino has a rather masculine voice, yes. His manner of speech is also considered masculine.

A lot of the people I know from the Tactics fandom have at least a rudimentary understanding of Japanese. x3; I'm sure ADV's going to be getting a LOT of letter's about this. Either that or a rabid mob of Tactics fans at their main office threatening hostile takeover. *runs hands together* eeexxxceelllent.

Debitt

Postby Mave » Fri May 27, 2005 4:47 pm

This is bad. I'm really sorry to hear this. As it is, we already have enough misperceptions about anime/manga. The last thing we need is some smart aleck translator company.
Mave

Postby Jasdero » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:02 pm

Wha....? How can they just change a character's gender?!
Jasdero

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews