Alice 19th anyone?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Alice 19th anyone?

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:54 pm

Has anyone else read this series? I thought it was soo sweet and romantic!! (its by YU Watase) NEways if anyone else has read it what did you think?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:07 pm

The nudity in number five bothered me. I have a very low tolerence for that kind of thing so I wasn't permitted to read past volume 5. I was so sad to put it down 'cause I loved the story and the characters. Oh, Yuu, please, put clothes on those people! Ack!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:15 pm

I read all but number 5, and i do remember a nudity scene in vol 4... yah.. that was.. ermm... but i can assure you i dont think there is any after that.. (i have all but 5 and there is only 7..) but i agree... the nudity was... disturbing.. and i too, didnt like it all that much.. but the books belong to my sister..and she wanted to continue to buy them...

while i dont condone any nudity, at least there weren't any pervertedness about it... (but yah.. i guess that isn't anybetter...--.-)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:06 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:I read all but number 5, and i do remember a nudity scene in vol 4... yah.. that was.. ermm... but i can assure you i dont think there is any after that..

Are you sure there's no nudity past five? I was told there was quite a bit after that.

And yeah, there are seven volumes.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:23 am

Its been a while since i have read the rest of the series, and after you asked i made sure to check so i wouldn't give a stupid answer...

Unfortunatly, in volume 6, there is a little nudity, but nothing like there was in vol 4, (shower scene) (upper half) this time it is Alice's sister, but she is basically covered in vines or something that looks like vines, I think it is supposed to symbolize how evil really is taking hold of her... or something..

and again, in volume 7 there a few VERY breif, and not detailed nudiy of the sister falling, back facing us, (not much is shown.. but there it isn't hard to see she has nothing on.. -.-)

This is one problem with manga i too, dont aprove of, and i wish that it didn't have to be in there... but just like the rest of the series, the nudity scenes are done in good taste (what i mean by 'good taste' is no perverted comments are said during the entire series about it..)

Again, i am in no way, shape or form saying its ok for nudity scenes to be in manga, So please, dont think i am. I amalmost tempted to draw clothes on some images seen in manga actually..and in case i actually did LOL.

well i hope this helps with the information, if you think you still want to finish the series, i can tell you it ends well! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby kazekami » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:31 pm

I really like the series. There is nudity in the series. however there is no sex. Which would have disturbed me a lot more. I have all 7 volumes in japanese. Over all I think its a great story.
kazekami

Postby VioletEyedCat » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:38 pm

Do you know if anybody has an english version out? And if so, where I could get it? I haven't started a good manga in a long time, and I love sweet stories!

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:39 am

Its all out here in teh US. Viz licensed it.. I would say any book store that sells mangas (Barnes and Noble, Hastings, Waldenbooks, Fye, Sam Goody.. and any anime store..) (you may hafta order it though)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Kisa » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:49 am

Yea there is still a bit of nudity in the rest of the series after that initial bath scene fight with Alice and her sister.... I would still be wary..... I agree with Osaka on this, the story is good and the char are good ^^, but Yuu somehow manages to insert these things in most her mangas.....
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:31 pm

VioletEyedCat wrote:Do you know if anybody has an english version out? And if so, where I could get it? I haven't started a good manga in a long time, and I love sweet stories!

Yes, Alice the 19th is released in English by Viz. Concerning where to get it, if you live in a town with some large book stores (Barnes and Nobles, Waldenbooks, Borders) they should have a manga section. The section itself may be tucked away in some corner of the store, so you may want to ask for help finding it.

But really, I would read Imadoki first. It's also written by Yuu Watase just like Alice the 19th, but I enjoy the character, story, and moral of Imadoki much more. It's equally romantic and far less sensual.

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:38 am

I am so sad imadoki is finished >< It was soooo good ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby VioletEyedCat » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:17 pm

Many thanks, everyone! (scurries off to spend more money than she should)

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:25 pm

Mwhahahahahah!!! Yay!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby kazekami » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:34 pm

imadoki was a great series. I think it's my favorite series by Watase Yuu. I love the whole flower garden imagry going on in it. It deals with some tough isues yet it is sweet. Tanpopo is just great. =)
kazekami

Postby c-girl » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:21 pm

I liked the story very much, but I wish it had more of the other characters besides Alice and Kyo. >^^< <3 <3 'cause we only got to learn a little about the others.
I live to love and love to live! >^.^<
ImageImage
I am part of The No Group.. Group.. >"<.. >0.o<
~Real guys go for real down to Mars girls ~ "Roses" by Outkast
c-girl

Location: Omg! It's a flying bird!!! *runs away while you're distracted*

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews