Dragon Ball Z: The End?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Dragon Ball Z: The End?

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:28 pm

I heard that Dragon Ball Z will no longer be running in Shonen Jump... Can anyone confirm this?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby MasterDias » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:33 pm

That is true.

They finished up the Cell storyline in the most recent issue. The last six or seven volumes that encompass the Buu arc will be released directly to graphic novels.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fireproof » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:38 pm

Does that mean they're slipping a new manga in? Or are they just giving DBZ the axe?
:rock:
Fireproof

Postby righteous_slave » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:43 am

I hope there is something new. I've already though about giving up SJ monthly and just saving up for the GNs I want. If they drop it completely with nothing new, they will probably put in more Yugioh or Shaman King every issue, since those are the two most commercial ones.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:28 am

They did not state that there would be any new manga replacing Dragonball Z, though that does not eliminate the possibility that something will take its place. I would also hope that they do not merely raise the number of issues of the more commercial manga (though I suppose that would make Yu-Gi-Oh over sooner).

I'm not a rabid fan of Dragonball Z, but I'm sad to see it go. I liked it more than a number of the other manga featured.
uc pseudonym

Postby chewster777 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:59 am

Man, if the show wasn't over and pretty much done for, I'm sure the DBZ manga would be more popular. I guess everyone knows what's gonna happen, so everyone's like "Whats the point?" That's kinda sad. All I can say is that Yu-Gi-Oh better not get more pages. I'm glad I buy novels rather than subscribe to Shonen Jump.
chewster777

Postby TroutNinja » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:43 am

One Piece needs more chapters <_<;;
Once the Baratie Arc is done, we'll be hitting an Arc that will almost kill you with cliffhangers. Naruto is also a series that is hitting one of it's 'better' Arcs.

I had heard that 20th Century Boys was licensed by Viz.. and had heard of a volume in May. Although it isn't a "Shounen Jump" series.. it'd be nice to see it in monthly.
To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescense. - C.S. Lewis
TroutNinja

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:13 pm

The bookies give extremely high odds that this thread becomes a thread randomly talking about Shonen Jump series, now that the question has been answered.

TroutNinja wrote:One Piece needs more chapters <_<]

I am enjoying One Piece because it is actually new to me. This arc, however, does not particularly interest me, and won't be quite over for a while. Unfortunate, but apparently the next one is better.

TroutNinja wrote:Naruto is also a series that is hitting one of it's 'better' Arcs.

I agree. The forest of death is quality (as is much of the series) but doesn't fall victim to the drag that plagues a great deal of the series. It moves less quickly than I remember, however.
uc pseudonym

Postby Lunis » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:53 pm

chewster777 wrote:I guess everyone knows what's gonna happen, so everyone's like "Whats the point?" That's kinda sad.
That's the way it is for me. Because I know what happens, I really don't feel as inclined to read a more condensed version.

At lease we all got to read the best saga. ^_^ *is partial to the Cell Saga and Cell in general*
It is the infirmity of little minds to be dazzled with everything that sparkles.
Lunis

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:00 pm

I think there will be a manga preview for Toriyama Akria's "Dr. Slump." Maybe they'll stick that in there...?

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. It's a Hunter X Hunter preview. Sigh, I only have one mroe SJ after this one... the May issue. Man, I need thirty bucks again... I take donations! :P
Shao Feng-Li

Postby MasterDias » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 pm

The Dr. Slump preview will be in next month's issue. It is, however, intended for a direct-to-graphic novel release.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:18 am

I am quite glad they're releasing Dr. Slump directly to graphic novels, because I'm certain I would not enjoy it. In fact, the more I see of Akira Toriyama's works, the more I realize Dragonball Z is the only work of his I find worthwhile (by "Dragonball Z" I mean the latter half of the Dragonball manga).

Lunis wrote:At lease we all got to read the best saga. ^_^ *is partial to the Cell Saga and Cell in general*

I would agree, actually. Excepting the third form of Super Saiyan, the series would have not been harmed by stopping prior to Buu in all his incarnations.
uc pseudonym

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews