DNAngel

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:09 am

Heart of Sword wrote:the demons (and don't say it was translation, the word was oni).

I thought "oni" was the word for "monster" or something to that effect and the word for demon was something like "youkkai". I don't speak japanese, so I could be totally wrong.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:24 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:I thought "oni" was the word for "monster" or something to that effect and the word for demon was something like "youkkai". I don't speak japanese, so I could be totally wrong.

You're not totally wrong, just a bit mixed up. Oni means demon or ogre, but demon most of the time. Youkai can mean demon too but it can also mean ghost, apparition, phantom, spectre, monster....you get the picture :sweat: I used online dictionaries for this a while back so check on something and I just checked again to get all of the translations and to make sure.
That part of the side story had bothered me a little too.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:52 pm

Indigo_Eyes wrote:You're not totally wrong, just a bit mixed up. Oni means demon or ogre, but demon most of the time. Youkai can mean demon too but it can also mean ghost, apparition, phantom, spectre, monster....you get the picture :sweat: I used online dictionaries for this a while back so check on something and I just checked again to get all of the translations and to make sure.
That part of the side story had bothered me a little too.

Ah ha! I stand correct. ;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Debitt » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:56 pm

I think the reason that youkai is translated into 'demon' more often than it is 'phantom/specter/ghost' is because most Japanese youkai are solid, and us gaijin might have a problem grasping that (no pun inteded). =) Personally I wish they just left it youkai, though.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Kisa » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:56 pm

LOL yea what she said! I was confused on it as well tho Osaka!
Now lets get back on topic....
Who has the latest DNAngel manga? Its 6 right?
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Debitt » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:58 pm

^_^;; I have 6 in Japanese....it's kind of an interesting volume, and I wouldn't be surprised that after its released in english, boy-love fangirls will go nuts over it. >_>;

Debitt

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:24 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:I think the reason that youkai is translated into 'demon' more often than it is 'phantom/specter/ghost' is because most Japanese youkai are solid, and us gaijin might have a problem grasping that (no pun inteded). =) Personally I wish they just left it youkai, though.

Me too
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Heart of Sword » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:00 pm

I thought "oni" was the word for "monster" or something to that effect and the word for demon was something like "youkkai". I don't speak japanese, so I could be totally wrong.

No, you got it backwards. :sweat:
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:31 pm

I want six so bad. I haven't gotten it yet. . . My book store doesn't even have it yet. Bleh!

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:54 pm

*cries* I still need 5!
Kisa

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:59 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:I want six so bad. I haven't gotten it yet. . . My book store doesn't even have it yet. Bleh!

Since when has six been out? *Runs around thinking how it could be missed...decides to go to Barnes and Noble on the weekend since its not at BAM* :dance:

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:05 am

Well, technically it comes out on the 8th, but I've been spoiled by my book store since they've been putting manga out consistently a week a head of the release date since. . . forever.

I have seen it there, though. Now it's only the matter of making sure I don't over spend. *sigh* Sadly, 6 will probably be one of those "Read now, buy later" manga. Poor volume 6.

Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:59 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Well, technically it comes out on the 8th, but I've been spoiled by my book store since they've been putting manga out consistently a week a head of the release date since. . . forever.

I have seen it there, though. Now it's only the matter of holding making sure I don't over spend. *sigh* Sadly, 6 will probably be one of those "Read now, buy later" manga. Poor volume 6.

That explains why it wasn't at B&N when I checked today.

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Kisa » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:10 pm

*cries* Why does manga have to cost money!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well at least its cheaper than anime.....
Kisa

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:22 pm

I got the first volume last weekend. Great so far.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby sonichiro » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:44 am

>>edit<<
-- if white was black and black was white, what of shades of grey?
sonichiro

Postby sonichiro » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:44 am

>>sory gahhh<<
sonichiro

Postby Lady Arianrod » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:08 pm

I got volume 6... and it's very good!

[spoiler]Krad makes an apperance... very exciting ^^[/spoiler]

and

[spoiler]There are some ADORABLE moments with Daisuke and Riku. What a cute pair![/spoiler]
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:35 pm

Ack! I must go read this! *get in car, then remembers that she's planning on buying it Monday* I guess I'll just have to wait.

Mangafanatic

Postby Ren_sama » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:27 pm

Any cool Satoshi moments in vol. 6?
Ren_sama

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:33 pm

I got it today, it's ok...i'm still not sure what i think about this manga, i wasnt sure how close to the anime it followed, but i'm still edgy about this, this volume was ok...

[Spoiler]But i didn't like the all guys play thing, i hope they don't show that, and i didn't like the terra cards*thats what there called right?*, i know they were only there for a sec, but thows things scare the heck out of me[/Spoiler]
SorasOathkeeper

Postby Debitt » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:51 pm

Ugh, double post. x_x;

Debitt

Postby Debitt » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:54 pm

What volume are you talking about SorasOathkeeper? Volume 6?
[spoiler]Yeah, the all guys play is still there (I thought it was hilarious, to be honest) but I wouldn't be worried about that at all. If you listen to the radio drama especially, Satoshi's REALLY dead-pan, and it's pretty obvious he doesn't want to be there. xD; ("*supposed to be riding a horse, I believe* ....hya....") The cards are in the manga as well, but they definitely not there as much as they were in the anime[/spoiler]

Debitt

Postby Ren_sama » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:06 pm

SorasOathkeeper wrote:I got it today, it's ok...i'm still not sure what i think about this manga, i wasnt sure how close to the anime it followed, but i'm still edgy about this, this volume was ok...

I would compare the manga to the anime, since the anime only lightly follows the manga...plus they totally butchered it with the ending.

So there's Satoshi goodness!? YAY!! *flies off to buy issue* ^_^
Ren_sama

Postby Debitt » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:36 am

:lol: There's an amusing scene with Dark/Daisuke and Satoshi/Krad. xD; So yes, plenty of Satoshi goodness, methink. >o> But I'm more of a Krad fan...hee hee~

Debitt

Postby Ren_sama » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:04 pm

Krad rocks! But Satoshi always has that spesho place in my ehart...XDD
Wat, so volume 6 is out in English? Man, #5 just came out...o_o
Ren_sama

Postby Kisa » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:14 pm

reading vol 5 now.... ^^
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:01 am

Well, Riku and Daisuke were just TOO CUTE in volume 6.

I will admit, though, sometime I get so confused by this manga. Especially the end of volume 6. That all happened WAY too fast.

Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:10 am

ooo RikuxDai moments... *can't wait* ^^
Kisa

Postby sonichiro » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:51 am

i baught volume four soooo long ago and have been waiting to get 5 and 6 but the book store i go to doesnt have them yet........its so sad. what happened about terrot cards? um isnt that a little demonic?? can someone explain whats going on with the terrot card thing in dnagel cuz i dont think i want to get it anymore if its got that kinda stuff going on in it. ooooo well.
sonichiro

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews