What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 pm

I just finished Me, Myself, and Bob by Phil Vischer. Yes, the creator of VeggieTales. It's all about how he started Big Idea, the struggles and joys he faced while following his dream, and how his faults led to Big Idea falling apart. It was very interesting and well-written (plenty of humor, as one might expect), and the last three chapters actually had me in uncontrollable tears. A great book.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Just finished When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr, Parallel Journeys by Eleanor H. Ayer, Helen Waterford, and Alfons Heck, and now I'm currently reading Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl.
_GazeRockMei_

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:42 pm

"Extras" by Scott Westerfeld (it's the last Uglies book).
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:55 am

Just finished Storm Front, book 1 in the Desden Files.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:40 am

How did you like Dresden? I quite enjoyed it but the library doesn't have more titles of his.

[SIZE="1"]Also, should I pull my evaunit01.jpg? it's been a while[/SIZE] :P

I'm reading The Time Traveller's Wife. I'm enjoying the premise and the unconventional narrative.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Neane » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:53 pm

Currently rereading my copy of Beowulf for like the gazillionth time .
Neane

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:18 pm

I finished "Extras", so now I'm reading "Monster" by Frank Peretti.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Neane » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Reading The Bulletproof Series by Eden Rose Archer. It is a futuristic military sci-fi novel about civil war in America. The main characters are really interesting and easy to like, plus they have flaws and are very realistic. There are some really tense parts in the book, and I like suspense.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:32 am

The Iceman Cometh by Eugene O'Neill.
Atria35

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 pm

I jsut finished The Sea of Trolls. Its a kids book, but I never really got out of my favorite kids books. :3 And Norse mythology is pretty much awesome.
Vilo159

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Having read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the space of 3 or 4 days (which for me is pretty fast), I am now on Chamber of Secrets. I don't regret waiting until the clamor and madness of "Pottermania" died down to a dull roar to start reading these books, but I've gotta admit: they are surprisingly good.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1546273) wrote:Having read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the space of 3 or 4 days (which for me is pretty fast), I am now on Chamber of Secrets. I don't regret waiting until the clamor and madness of "Pottermania" died down to a dull roar to start reading these books, but I've gotta admit: they are surprisingly good.

You like them? I'm one of those Harry Potter geeks that waited until everyone forgot about the series to try them. What do you think of the Chamber of Secrets? Personally, the Sorcerer's Stone was kind of slow and boring (aren't all first books?), so I'm sure if you found that one enjoyable you'll like the remaining books as well.
---------------------------
Finished Kon Tiki and I have to say, it was a pretty dull book. Exceptionally slow, long, and rather boring. The description and metaphors were really well done, however.
_GazeRockMei_

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Chamber of Secrets is good so far, I'm on chapter 6. Sorcerer's Stone was a bit unevenly paced (almost half over by the time Harry even gets to Hogwarts), but after the halfway point it picks up speed and gets more interesting. But it was a really fun read overall, and Chamber of Secrets is shaping up to be even better.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Zeldafan2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 pm

The Swiss Family Robinson. It is slow, but there is some sort of charm about the book.
Zeldafan2

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1546284) wrote:Chamber of Secrets is good so far, I'm on chapter 6. Sorcerer's Stone was a bit unevenly paced (almost half over by the time Harry even gets to Hogwarts), but after the halfway point it picks up speed and gets more interesting. But it was a really fun read overall, and Chamber of Secrets is shaping up to be even better.

Yeah, I pretty much felt the same way about the first book as well as the movie. I think the books get a lot more evenly paced as J.K. Rowling goes on, however, as well as longer. I think because there is so much information she tries to squeeze into the first few books that they seemed kind of fast-paced, you know?
_GazeRockMei_

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:55 pm

"The Fury", which is the third volume in The Vampire Diaries books by L.J. Smith.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby ich1990 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:46 am

“Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thiefâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:02 am

I've just finished the first two Father Brown collections by G.K. Chesterton- dude sure doesn't like Calvinists- I was almost insulted :P. Now I'm trying to get started on The Woman in While by Collins.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby _GazeRockMei_ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:06 am

[quote="ich1990 (post: 1546960)"]“Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thiefâ€
_GazeRockMei_

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Epic by John Eldredge - Pretty much all of the stuff he talks about in this little book are things I've read before in Jim Ware's books. But it was encouraging and inspiring to a fantasy writer all the same.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:04 pm

M is for Magic by Neil Gaiman - YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU this has some awesome stuff in it. It's dark, much like Gaiman's usual work, but I love it nonetheless!
Atria35

Postby Neane » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:10 pm

What I have read in the past while:

Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion.

It was like Interview with a Vampire. Only with zombies.

I liked it.

Also, The Woman in Black, apparently a modern imagining of a real Victorian ghost story, and the adaptation of a similarly recent play.

The writing was not especially good. Didn't fit either era. Moments of acceptability punctuate a poor pantomime of an older style.

Carrying The Fire - Autobiography of Michael Collins, first published in 1973. A really nice look at the progression of the space program in general between 1964 and 1969. Collins explains in detail what happened on his flights in Gemini 10 and Apollo 11, and all but 3 chapters of the book deal with his contributions to the Gemini and Apollo programs. Of the three astronaut (auto)biographies I've read so far, I'd have to say that Collins is easily the most informative. (Armstrong's following close behind. The writer for the Armstrong biography had heavy input from Armstrong himself, which really shows. Shepard's...not so much.)

As of this moment: Currently reading Gods Of Riverworld by Philip Jose Farmer

Also: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/in-which-i-fix-my-girlfriends-grandparents-wifi-and-am-hailed-as-a-conquering-hero
Neane

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:55 pm

MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:39 pm

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm reading The Druids pretty much a history about Celts and druids, its really interesting. I have a huge interest in the Celts so yea I'm loving this book.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Yesterday I finished Partials by my beloved Dan Wells. It was awesome in many ways, from its well-developed fictional political arguments (both sides) to characters dying (and staying dead) to the heroine already dating her love interest (woah, can you do that in YA?) to occasionally reminding me of the manga Shingeki no Kyojin (in setting and tone).

It's not as fantastic as I Am Not A Serial Killer (Wells's first published work), but I still really enjoyed it. Am eagerly awaiting the sequel.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Lynna » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 pm

I finished reading Inheritance, All be it with a lot of skip-reading over the boring drivel.
For reasons I cannot comprehend, I actually did enjoy some parts. Now that that enjoyment is over and done with, I shall now turn my attention to looking at the book in a critical view and figuring out why exactly the awful parts were so awful, and why a former fan like me is so dissatisfied with the series
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Lynna (post: 1549624) wrote:I finished reading Inheritance, All be it with a lot of skip-reading over the boring drivel.
For reasons I cannot comprehend, I actually did enjoy some parts. Now that that enjoyment is over and done with, I shall now turn my attention to looking at the book in a critical view and figuring out why exactly the awful parts were so awful, and why a former fan like me is so dissatisfied with the series

http://www.oak-tree.us/blog/index.php/2009/01/21/brisingr-sociopath
Atria35

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:30 pm

I finished reading Inheritance, All be it with a lot of skip-reading over the boring drivel.

You deserve an award for your bravery in reading this book.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Neane » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:07 pm

SincerelyAnomymous (post: 1549584) wrote:A fine work of genius.

The details in that are spot on, especially about the toolbars.
Neane

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner