What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby EndearingHotaru » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Popyman (post: 1506073) wrote:Aw, I love Zathura.

Me too! It was a good movie and the brotherly-ness was so adorable. :3
ImageImageImage ImageImage
EndearingHotaru

Postby mkalv » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm

I saw Deep Blue Sea on G4. Like Jaws, but with super sharks, and in an enclosed space.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:03 pm

50 first dates.

Hilarious, emotional and actually original. I was truly surprised by it.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Freeway. Old movie with Reese Witherspoon... A very black comedy that puts a very twisted spin on the "Red Ridding Hood" tale... and I don't think I've ever seen Reese in a more hilarious role. I don't think I'd recommend it though. I've always loved a GOOD black comedy but I always feel a little guilty afterwards. I mean the movie is so messed up and if it was a serious movie, it would be terrible because it has so many messed up situations but instead, you're laughing. But lol, she was hilarious... the part where she turns on her kidnapper and then puts a gun to his head just had me rolling...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Atria35 (post: 1505699) wrote:But the movie has issues. There is absolutely no explanation for [spoiler]the 'future self' of the older bro suddenly appearing- where did he come from and all that jazz, the gas stove and running water still working[/spoiler]

I think that was all perfectly implied, even if they didn't come right out and explain it or debate reasons (like how the kids in Jumanji debate how the pieces move by themselves). The gas and water still work because the game is magical like that, and [spoiler]future!Walter got stuck in a time paradox. Explain it with different dimensions or however you want to do it.[/spoiler] They didn't explain those things right out because they trusted the audience to be smart enough to figure it out, or at least to guess, and it's really not that important to the core story. I really think a lot of it can be forgiven because it's so exaggerated anyway. It's not supposed to be completely realistic. You'd do just as well to complain about the astronaut being able to fly briefly out of the house without his helmet, or the couch burning as it sailed off into space.

And then the drama and danger don't seem as real as it could be. Their little personal drama seemed petty and superficial (and overall, sibling rivalry is exactly that) because they didn't go into the background behind it. The message and story were simple and obvious. The danger was brought down a little too much by forced humor (the bird in the robot. Seriously?).

I suppose this comes down to personal preference, but I thought the drama and danger were perfectly realistic. That's exactly the way brothers bicker, and even if they don't exhaustively outline the years leading up to this day, there are plenty of hints and implications. Like how they're shouting, and Danny says, "It's not my fault!" and Walter replies, "Of course it's your fault! Everything's your fault! It's your fault Mom and Dad got divorced!" That smacks of something that would burst out unbidden in the heat of the moment, something he's been thinking for a long time but never said out loud. And if this bitterness has been running that deep and that long, it makes perfect sense why they're always fighting. I got the impression, purely from the way they were interacting, that the divorce and circumstances around that time damaged the brothers' relationship and twisted it into a very antagonistic one, whereas before they got along fairly well - evidenced by how quickly they eased back into a supportive brotherly relationship once Walter worked through some of his issues and they all realized how much they care about each other, deep down.

And the danger was supposed to be fun rather than truly terrifying, but even so, my twelve-year-old sister would probably tell you it felt genuine. She was still a bit scared of the robot and the Zorgons, though she watches bloody action movies and is no pansy.

:rant: :red: Sorry. I just really love Zathura, I guess. I found the reconciliation of the brothers very refreshing, because most of the siblings I know seem to want to murder each other in their beds.

Popyman (post: 1506073) wrote:And those kids, man, they had awesome taste, name dropping Super Smash Brothers and rocking that Jak 3 poster in their room. =P

Not to mention that Danny actually plays Jak 3 in one scene :cool:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:32 pm

I recently watched When Harry Met Sally and The Big Lebowski for the first time. Definitely not for sensitive viewers; I believe both are rated R for good reason.

I really liked When Harry Met Sally, because the characters were very well-developed and believable, and I definitely enjoyed the dialogue, which was witty and creative without succumbing to the typical romcom cliches.

As for The Big Lebowski... I have so many questions. But I still found it enjoyable. That being said, I super-uber-definitely do not recommend this for young or sensitive viewers.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1506810) wrote:As for The Big Lebowski... I have so many questions. But I still found it enjoyable. That being said, I super-uber-definitely do not recommend this for young or sensitive viewers.

I'm not a big fan of this movie, but I know a few things that will make sense of it. The Big Lebowski is a parody of the stories-style and structure of author Raymond Chandler, who wrote hard-boiled detective fiction (set in Los Angeles) during the 1930s to 1950s. His novels were characterized by extremely good, snappy dialogue and extremely convoluted plots that he made up as he went along (in a famous incident a side-character gets murdered, the murder is never explained and when asked he was unable to provide an answer). Admittedly this makes him sound more like a hack than a highly regarded 20th Century author]The Big Lebwoski[/I] in particular is a parody of a novel called The Big Sleep (filmed well in 1946), which is about a detective investigating a case of black-mail for a wheelchair-bound rich guy with troubled daughters (one whose character bears remarkable similarities to the wife of the Big Lebowski), which leads to several crazy situations. Much of the big difference lies in the fact that the 'investigator' is not a hardboiled detective but a hippy who is unable to keep up with the plot. The movie was also inspired by The Long Goodbye, a comedy film from the early 70s loosely based on a Raymond Chandler book but which depicts the detective as astoundingly inept in an equally complicated plot.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:15 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]"Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"

Funny how I jump from "Lucky Star" to this of all things.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 am

Chromeskull: Laid to rest 2

Different than I expected, expect a review shortly on my blog
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:31 am

Stake land easily one of americas best vampire films

GrubbTheFragger

Postby ich1990 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Thor

Just edges over the line of "good enough to not be dismissively silly" although it toes the line at times. It does not cross the line of "good enough to take seriously". My sister says it was written as a Shakespearean tale. If that is true, it would explain the improbably romances, dramatic deaths, and inscrutable actions of its cast. It does not explain why they ride horses out to their spaceship. Now that I think about it, a movie about frost giants and thunder gods probably doesn't need to explain that last bit.

The Departed

A finely honed thriller that is simultaneously brutal and believable. It is well acted --dang, Nicholson is a creep! It is well written, aside from the improbably shared girlfriend. It is well executed. Well, maybe a little too "well executed" given that everyone performs flawless headshots with pistols. It is good. Recommended, with the obvious content warning caveat.

bigsleepj (post: 1505271) wrote:The movie is not bad]SOLARIS[/I] (filmed twice by Andrei Tarkovsky and Stephen Soderbergh respectively), and both deal better with attempts at contact by unknowable alien entities (both which happen to be round and both bringing horror unintentional upon humans). The work of Lem in general deals with the incapability of aliens and humans to communicate.
Are you saying that SOLARIS deserves more widespread viewership because it was the first and best film, or just that Sphere didn't provide sufficient homage to its predecessors?
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:46 am

St. Elmo's Fire : A peek into the lives of a bunch of PSYCHOS. Okay, not really, but this movie leaves you with two feelings: One: For the most part, I just watched a movie about normal people, with no good guys or bad guys, just people; and Two: God help us. People are messed up.

Some Kind of Wonderful: Honestly, the best John Hughes movie I've seen so far. I'm trying to go through Hughes' body of work (and the "Brat Pack" movies in general) a little at a time. I watched "Pretty in Pink" last week and it was actually pretty awful. This movie felt like it was the same story, except with the gender reversed. Also, "Wonderful" actually had likeable characters. And decent dialogue. And a plot you could feel kind of invested in.
Yuki-Anne

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:25 am

Madea's Big Happy Family: Much better than Goes to Jail. Madea felt more involved, thus it was funnier. I like what they did near the end too, to make the characters grow out of their old ways.

How to Train your Dragon: Rewatched it. I now realize that there's a scene near the end that mirrors a scene in the middle. I felt it was really artistic.

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Ferb (post: 1507761) wrote:How to Train your Dragon: Rewatched it. I now realize that there's a scene near the end that mirrors a scene in the middle. I felt it was really artistic.

Oh man, I love that movie. Which scene are you referring to?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:35 pm

The Shining. Bought it since it was in the $5 at Wal-Mart. Good, good movie.
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Atria35 (post: 1508075) wrote:The Shining. Bought it since it was in the $5 at Wal-Mart. Good, good movie.

One of the best horror films ever. I never thought wide angle shots could be so scary

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Neane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Atria35 (post: 1508075) wrote:The Shining. Bought it since it was in the $5 at Wal-Mart. Good, good movie.

Speaking of The Shining, I watched the movie that was shown to the cast to prepare them for their roles very recently. Eraserhead. It was very Disturbing, but it was an amazing Film.
Neane

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:31 am

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: It was... well, it was shallow and contrived, but it was also witty and entertaining. Worth a watch once, if only for the cultural understanding: "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" is a stupid, stupid song, but one that was culturally very influential.
Yuki-Anne

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:32 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1508067) wrote:Oh man, I love that movie. Which scene are you referring to?

[spoiler]It was when Toothless and Hiccup were falling. Hiccup urged Toothless to come towards him and Toothless' wing hit him in response. Eventually, Hiccup came towards Toothless and got back on him.

Then much later we come to the scene where they were attempting to escape the explosion. This time, Toothless came towards Hiccup.
[/spoiler]

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:36 am

ich1990 (post: 1507547) wrote:Are you saying that SOLARIS deserves more widespread viewership because it was the first and best film, or just that Sphere didn't provide sufficient homage to its predecessors?

Andrei Tarkovsky always deserves more viewership, but that aside]Sphere[/I] / Michael Crichton took a fairly intriguing premise and used it for horror. What the other versions of the story was more intriguing and harrowing.

Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby bakura91 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:37 pm

I Caught up on my Summer movies here are my thoughts

X-men 1st Class-Awesome X-men is my favorite Marvel comic
Captain America- Awesome Can't wait for avengers
Red State- Pretty violent (don't watch if your not comfortable with violent horror type movies) but I thought I was pretty good, The actor playing the villain was Excellent
Transformers 3- Horrible, really bad I really like the cartoons and I even liked the 1st movie and I enjoyed the 2nd although I watched at the theater so thats probably influenced my opinion. But boy was 3 Horrible felt like it was like 5 hours long
bakura91

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:29 pm

bakura91 (post: 1509550) wrote:I Caught up on my Summer movies here are my thoughts

X-men 1st Class-Awesome X-men is my favorite Marvel comic
Captain America- Awesome Can't wait for avengers
Red State- Pretty violent (don't watch if your not comfortable with violent horror type movies) but I thought I was pretty good, The actor playing the villain was Excellent
Transformers 3- Horrible, really bad I really like the cartoons and I even liked the 1st movie and I enjoyed the 2nd although I watched at the theater so thats probably influenced my opinion. But boy was 3 Horrible felt like it was like 5 hours long

I fell as though transformer 3 was the beast, it did have pacing issues but the action was better and so was the humor ( only because there was less of it, it was still bad humor)

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:36 am

Session 9- Hooo dang. This film works on the pychological and nothing else. This avoided gore until that very last, and even that was horrifying not because it was particularly gorey, but because of the implications. Great, great film.
Atria35

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Atria35 (post: 1509692) wrote:Session 9- Hooo dang. This film works on the pychological and nothing else. This avoided gore until that very last, and even that was horrifying not because it was particularly gorey, but because of the implications. Great, great film.

Loved that film, it creeped me right out. I thought it worked well

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:26 pm

So, in the last couple weeks, I've seen:

Rango - It was all right; it was visually interesting, the voice acting was great, and was a pretty good Western, but didn't have a lot that was really memorable about it.

Captain America - It wasn't my favorite superhero movie ever, it didn't really differentiate much from the pack, but it was pretty solid. It was pretty to look at, for sure (semi-dieselpunk!), even though the Red Skull was pretty silly looking, and it served its purpose in setting us up for Avengers, so I can't complain that much.

Final Justice (MST3K version) - Hoo boy.

So one of the first scenes has two Texas Rangers in their office: a fat, sweaty one and one that's younger, not ruggedly handsome, but not fat and sweaty? Young guy is being set up to be the hero: the older one is nomming on a donut and saying how he wasn't supposed to have them anymore, so younger guy altruistically grabs it from him and jams it into his mouth.

Five minutes later, the young Ranger gets shot by the bad guy. Welp.

So what we're left with is a movie where a fat, sweaty Texas Ranger goes to Malta, beats up/intimidates/shoots/acts like a jerk to half the people there, gives people death glares, spends a lot of time at a strip bar, gets in a fight at same strip bar, gets put in jail a lot, swears a lot (blanked out hilariously in the MST3K cut), and chases a guy around the bay in a Zodiac. Obviously, this makes it [s]the greatest movie ever[/s] a shoe-in for MST3K.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:53 pm

The Lion King 3D: When you see a movie like this when you're a little kid, you really don't get much. But when you're much older, you understand so much.

Madea's Big Happy Family: Second time I watched this and it's still funny. XD

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Ocean's Eleven--The 1960 original with Frank Sinatra. It was different enough for me to find it interesting. It occurs to me now, though, that there were certain problems--Ocean's marriage, for example--that were never resolved or even addressed. (Unless something critical happened in the fifteen minutes I missed in the middle.)

Gunga Din--CARY GRANT. 8D He was pretty funny in this. XD And the rest of the movie was good, too. Fun to watch with my mom. My suspension of disbelief got stretched a little thin during the climax, but not enough to bother me.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:09 am

Atria35 (post: 1509692) wrote:Session 9- Hooo dang. This film works on the pychological and nothing else. This avoided gore until that very last, and even that was horrifying not because it was particularly gorey, but because of the implications. Great, great film.

I really like that movie. Also the fact that it was shot at Danvers State Hospital made it even better (I love reading about abandoned buildings and urban exploration).

I went to see Real Steel yesterday. It was sooooo much better than I was expecting.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:13 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1510087) wrote:I really like that movie. Also the fact that it was shot at Danvers State Hospital made it even better (I love reading about abandoned buildings and urban exploration).

I went to see Real Steel yesterday. It was sooooo much better than I was expecting.

Same here that's why I love ghost adventures and ghost hunters to learn the strange and twisted history

Watched vampires suck, and well it did suck

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:32 am

Arsenic and Old Lace: Classic Halloween film. I hadn't realized it was a Halloween film until I watched it. I was just wanting to see a classic, and Cary Grant is always a joy to watch. Nothing beats Philadelphia Story, though.

Amelie: French Indie film. Mature content. It was quite enjoyable, though.
Yuki-Anne

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment