Earthquake and Now Hurricane

Talk about anything in here.

Earthquake and Now Hurricane

Postby ashfire » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Well I would call it insult to injury. Irene will be coming up the coast and passing through the areas the earthquake rattled and caused damage. Some areas will have tropical type storms and others will be hit hard.
ashfire

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm already having panic attacks.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby ADXC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Yep and my college just called an Evacuation that we need to be out by tomorrow. So I'll have to drive home. <_>

I hoooope my stuff won't get trashed. XD
ADXC

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:11 pm

According to reports from weather.com, it actually looks like it's not going to be that bad (though I'm sure every news channel will do its best to tell you to panic as much as possible XD). I realize the northeast doesn't get a whole lot of hurricanes, and everyone up there should definitely take the necessary precautions, but according to the following picture, it's only a cat. 3 right now, and it's expected to be a cat. 1 by the time it starts hitting the northern states:

Like I said, you should definitely all take the necessary hurricane precautions and stay up to date with what's going on (I'm certainly not a hurricane professional or anything XD), but I don't think you should be panicking or worrying too much. XD It doesn't look too terribly menacing. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ADXC » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:26 pm

um Corrie, we HAVE to evacuate. XD It's a city-wide evacuation. lol
ADXC

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:29 pm

ADXC (post: 1499560) wrote:um Corrie, we HAVE to evacuate. XD It's a city-wide evacuation. lol

XD I'm not talking about evacuating; I said to take all the necessary precautions (they usually cancel school for cat. 1's down here, too, though we don't evacuate). I'm more referring to panicking and worrying. XD Be chill and trust God, is what I'm saying; it's not the end of the world. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Ally-Ann » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:31 pm

There's already a mandatory evacuation in the city I live in. The only problem? My dad, who's in the army, can't come with me and the rest of my family to my cousins' until hours after us 'cause his commander, who's in the navy, isn't letting anyone, army or navy leave the base. (We're a joint base. Yeah, it's real fun. (- -) ) Stupid hurricane.
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby Kaori » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:32 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1499558) wrote:According to reports from weather.com, it actually looks like it's not going to be that bad (though I'm sure every news channel will do its best to tell you to panic as much as possible XD). I realize the northeast doesn't get a whole lot of hurricanes, and everyone up there should definitely take the necessary precautions, but according to the following picture, it's only a cat. 3 right now, and it's expected to be a cat. 1 by the time it starts hitting the northern states

I think it depends on whether or not buildings are designed to withstand [s]typhoons[/s] hurricanes. If they are, then a category 1 or 2 is not too terrible, but if not, it might be a problem.

So in some parts of the States you have to evacuate for hurricanes, huh? o.o I hadn’t known that (here we just ride them out). Anyways, I hope everyone on the East Coast gets through the storm safely and with a minimum of property damage.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Sheenar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:53 am

When Ike hit TX, it was a strong cat. 2 storm. My college town is far enough inland, that they didn't order evacuations, but they did cancel classes and had a strict curfew for those staying on campus to ride out the storm.

Thankfully, the authorities learned from the disaster that the Rita evacuations were and Ike evacuations went much smoother.

I stayed with a friend in her dorm upstairs from mine (apartment-style dorms where doors open outdoors.) We slept through the storm making landfall. My dorm room flooded and the university paid for me to stay in the university hotel until clean-up was finished.

Trees were knocked over, lots of leaves/debris everywhere, but all structures were okay. Another friend, however, lost her home on Galveston Island. :(

So, here in TX, we're a bit nervous each hurricane season since Ike --hoping/praying storms go away from us (though now, we're hoping to get glanced by one so we'll get some good rain.)

Everyone follow local emergency protocols. Make sure you have emergency supplies in place (food, water, batteries, etc.) --include extra water for flushing toilets and animals. Don't forget to tape windows. Be careful driving to your safe spots/homes.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:59 am

[SIZE="7"]NEVER FORGET[/SIZE]

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ADXC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:09 am

@ Nate-

ADXC

Postby Dante » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Can't you send Irene to Arizona instead? This state could use the rain - maybe not the hail, but we could definitely use torrential downpours of rain. I mean, you can't give us just one? Seriously, you don't share your hurricanes with ANYONE... bunch of greedy east-coasters.

In all seriousness: I realize that taking precautions is a good thing, but I really can never underestimate the willingness of the news to cry wolf/Armageddon every week to get people to watch. Given that I've come to view it as an organization that lives off getting people to believe outlandish lies - I tend to have second thoughts when I hear them talking about how this will devastate the East coast and would take New York years to recover from. It's always possible they could be telling the truth, but especially for disasters like this - I can't entirely believe them on predictions.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:49 pm

I just saw a space view of hurricane Irene o.o It looks pretty massive from space x___x

Praying for all of you safety who are in the path of both the hurricane and the earthquakes (I have a friend who felt it and their grandparents live in the town where the epicenter was..) :hug:
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ashfire » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:12 pm

I hope the weather people are right and when the storm gets near Ocean City MD it will go farther off the coast and spare most of Maryland. Then I would hope it would just keep going East and disappear.
ashfire

Postby ADXC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:30 pm

By the time it gets to me (in NC), it will be a category 1 which really isn't much of a hurricane after all.

To me, hurricanes(The really cool kind anyway) are only those category 3 and up. XD
ADXC

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:55 pm

I think the big giant deal here is just the fact that New England gets hurricanes so rarely. It's like when it snows down South: "WHAT IS THIS STRANGE WHITE STUFF??? THIS IS THE END OF EVERYTHING!!!" And as a result, everybody else gets caught up in the frenzy.

Well, I'm bracing myself here in DC. Here's hoping for the best...
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm in central Virginia.

We're probably not even gonna get rain from this thing.

Nate

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:40 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Riding out a hurricane is not a big deal in some cases. Just make sure you have non-perishable food items, ensure you have gas in your vehicle, charge up the batteries in all essential equipment including flashlights, batteries, computers, cell phones, etc...and also make sure you have some emergency cash and credit cards on hand just in case you can't readily get to a bank.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Corrie wrote:but according to the following picture, it's only a cat.

You are THE MOST correct, my good Corrie. It's only a cat.

Anyway, I'm situated in the EXTREME (lol) danger zone.

My roommate and I went to Target to get food today and there was no water, no bread, and no flashlights. SO HILARIOUS. People are overreacting for sure. The worst I'm expecting is rain, intense wind, and maybe some power outages.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ADXC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:34 pm

ADXC

Postby ashfire » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:26 am

Well now that its Sat I have to see if I have to call to see if I have to report for work today if the storm causes any problems. They say after the sun goes down thats when things will get heavy around Wash DC.
ashfire

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:02 am

I think one thing people are worried about is the fact that some of the areas that it will hit, has had already wet summer. So flooding could be the major problem then anything.
Roy Mustang

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am

So we got some rain last night, and we're getting some strong wind gusts every so often but really nothing too bad here. I keep hearing forecasters talk about "The rain it brings is more of a concern than the wind!" It hasn't brought ENOUGH rain. We've had a horribly dry summer all year long. Give us some freaking rain, Irene!

Nate

Postby ADXC » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:26 am

Um I only said that as a joke. Apparently, no one knows what those are anymore.
ADXC

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:34 am

Good luck everyone! I echo the bit on things built without hurricanes in mind. That is gonna be the biggest problem. However, I can't give much advice, since there are no severe storms where I live. >_<
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:37 am

ADXC (post: 1499953) wrote:Um I only said that as a joke. Apparently, no one knows what those are anymore.

When a mod or especially the admin takes action on the public boards, we expect members to respect that decision. If you have a problem with what Mith did, you are more than welcome to discuss that with him via PM.

Getting back on topic, it's raining here now and there's barely any wind. It's supposed to get worse as the evening progresses.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:41 am

ADXC (post: 1499953) wrote:Um I only said that as a joke. Apparently, no one knows what those are anymore.

I think we can all agree that there are some things that shouldn't be joked about, especially considering the current events in our world right now.

Anyways, here in SC it is slightly cloudy with blue skies and a strong breeze. XD I was actually expecting to have at least a little bit of rain from this thing, but it doesn't seem like we're even going to be getting much of that. XD Apparently Irene has completely passed us by. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby ADXC » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 am

Sorry, it's just that at my Christian university, we joked some about that. So I thought a forum would acknowledge that it was a joke and move on.
ADXC

Postby goldenspines » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:12 am

ADXC wrote:Um I only said that as a joke. Apparently, no one knows what those are anymore.
ADXC wrote: Sorry, it's just that at my Christian university, we joked some about that. So I thought a forum would acknowledge that it was a joke and move on.
Mod note: Now you have everyone not amused at you for not having the decency to PM the staff member you are having trouble with. If you edit a mod snip again and continue to talk back to both Mith and LadyRushia, we will be taking more action than just snipping your posts for rude jokes. If you have any questions about this, PM me. If you continue to post about it in this thread, your posts will be deleted.

Now, back to the topic at hand. I've only seen a few pictures on the news about the effects of the hurricane on the East Coast so far. It looks a bit wild in NC, but hopefully it won't be as hyped as everyone thinks it's going to be. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:44 am

I have a friend in NYC and she's really worried about the hurricane, though I'm sure that it'll make landfall before it reaches her. I hope everyone is safe, though!
Atria35

Next

Return to General