Would you Date someone you dont know and perhaps may not be a Christian?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Are. You. Kidding. Me.
Solid Ronin

Postby Arya Raiin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:13 pm

I probably would go on a date with them. I guess blind dates just sound exciting to me. I want to date some different guys... though I do tend to be the "love at first sight" kind of girl. Also in my opinion someone may claim that they are a Christian but not actually be one. So, I would want to go on a date with them to see if they show the fruits of the spirit or not.
Arya Raiin

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1495601) wrote:Are. You. Kidding. Me.

It's better to express your disagreements in a reasonable manner than to leave a vague message that displays your disgust with this thread for some reason.
Yamamaya

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1495606) wrote:It's better to express your disagreements in a reasonable manner than to leave a vague message that displays your disgust with this thread for some reason.

..No.
Solid Ronin

Postby goldenspines » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:29 pm

It's also better to not lash against someone's comment in a demeaning manner if you can help it (both of you). I encourage you all to please continue to keep this thread civil and respectful.
goldenspines

Postby PrincessZelda » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:31 pm

I wouldn't date someone I didn't know. That's just... weird. I don't know, I always have thought that I didn't want to date someone until I knew I liked them, rather than dating someone to get to know them better to decide if I like them. I'd rather get to know them as a a friend first, personally.

As for dating a non-Christian... I don't know. I feel like I should answer no, that I wouldn't date someone who's not a Christian, but it's hard to say. I would have just flat out said no a few years ago. But to be honest, now, there really aren't that many Christian guys that I know that I could date. *Shrugs* I don't think I could 100% say I wouldn't go on at least one date with a nice, non-Christian guy that I got along with really well. Though, I don't particularly think being in a serious relationship with a non-Christian is the wisest choice a Christian could make...
PrincessZelda

Postby Nightshade X » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:43 pm

The fact that so many of us are saying that we'd consider dating a non-Christian at all presents a failing of some sort... but that's just my opinion on the matter. Take it or leave it.
Nightshade X

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Htom Sirveaux wrote:What even makes you think that that one question was directed at you specifically?

I didn't feel it was directed at me specifically, but I felt that my second post could have been taken as saying I didn't want to date a Christian. When I didn't really mean that, I was just saying religion isn't that important to me as far as qualities I'd look for in a girl I wanted to date. So I wanted to clarify a bit in case he misunderstood.
Nightshade wrote:The fact that so many of us are saying that we'd consider dating a non-Christian at all presents a failing of some sort

Wait, a failing of what? How is it a failing? I don't see how it's a failing of any sort. o.O

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Nightshade X » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Nate (post: 1495637) wrote:Wait, a failing of what? How is it a failing? I don't see how it's a failing of any sort. o.O

I'll be happy to explain it in a PM to anyone who asks. Don't want to risk the thread getting closed over my desire to make a point.
Nightshade X

Postby Midori » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Nightshade X (post: 1495643) wrote:I'll be happy to explain it in a PM to anyone who asks. Don't want to risk the thread getting closed over my desire to make a point.
I just want to say: thank you very much for this post.
Midori

Postby Nightshade X » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Midori (post: 1495644) wrote:I just want to say: thank you very much for this post.

Is it that big of a problem?

*realizes that this is still the Internet*

...don't answer that. :sweat:
Nightshade X

Postby Edward » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm

I would neither date someone that I don't know, nor someone who isn't a Christian. Like Nightshade X said, I would never date someone who I was not already comfortable with. It would be way too awkward. And I don't want to date someone who isn't Christian because I feel there would be too much of a clash between us for the relationship to work. It'd be like dating someone with the opposite political views as me. There would just be too much discord between the two of us.

Sadly, like some others have mentioned, I don't find most of the Christian girls I know irl 'interesting' enough for me to want to date them. They would probably disagree with me on a lot of things anyway. It just seems to me that the only Christian girls I know who share my intrest in anime, music, etc only exist on the internet, as far as I know. At the same time, I can't bring myself to date a girl who isn't Christian. And 'missionary dating' is simply not an option, as the thought of it is repulsive to me. And having someone come to Christ and then immediatley starting to date them seems pretty horrible to me as well. Maybe God could use the relationship to bring her to Christ, but it probably won't happen.

I suppose I could date someone who isn't Christian, if they shared similar values with me and were supportive of my religious beliefs and not negative about it at all. Then it could work, but it's doubtful, at least for me. *sighs* Looks like I'll be single for the rest of my life.
Edward

Postby armeck » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:28 pm

Nightshade X (post: 1495643) wrote:I'll be happy to explain it in a PM to anyone who asks. Don't want to risk the thread getting closed over my desire to make a point.

can you please send your point to me
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Any man I dated would be a Christian. The only reason I'd date would be to have a husband. The idea of being in love with someone who doesn't have Christ as their savior is sad to me. Say they died or something, you'd have not much hope at all seeing them in Heaven. I've never been in love with anyone though, so who knows.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1495476) wrote:Non-Christians are usually more interesting to me in general. =) That and I prefer someone who holds a strong sense of love and compassion compared to someone who believes in some abstract concept such as "being saved". (If, hypothetically, they must be mutually exclusive). I mean, Joyce Meyer is apparently saved but I'd never date her even if she were younger and prettier.

I hear that, how would anyone learn anything about love from such things as Christianity.

Nah. It's just my experience itself.

I'll put it this way. I'll like you more if you love the band mewithoutYou than if you're a Christian.

<modsnip: That's enough being rude in one thread.>
Solid Ronin

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 pm

I guess I should explain myself better.

It's not that the fact that someone is Christian that I dislike, but that, in my experience, a lot of Christians do not care for the things that I are important to myself. And to be perfectly honest, I see a lot of non-Christians being more compatible with me than Christians are. There are a few, yes. But they tend to be a rare few.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1495476) wrote:That and I prefer [that] to someone who believes in some abstract concept such as "being saved".
Nate (post: 1495479) wrote:Heck, I'd even consider political views more important than religion as far as potential dating material goes.
Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1495498) wrote:I'll like you more if you love the band mewithoutYou than if you're a Christian. :)
Would that I could say these posts surprise me as much as they depress me.

As it stands, I can only say they depress me.
Fish and Chips

Postby armeck » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:50 pm

i see this thread getting closed....
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Midori » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:56 pm

We gave this thread a chance to not do what it's doing. It didn't not do what it's doing, so now it will do nothing.
Midori

Previous

Return to General