Studio Spotlight: Production IG

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Studio Spotlight: Production IG

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Production IG is a really well established studio, having been around since the late 80s. Unlike other studios, there's not really a single overriding trait or quality to their works other than that they're really solid. They're responsible for some fairly major works, such as xxxHolic, Blood+, and Prince of Tennis. I haven't seen any of those though, so I won't be talking about them.

「攻殻絵」 by Tea

Ghost in the Shell is the thing that put Production IG on the map. The 1995 film directed by Mamoru Oshii is one of the most influential anime movies ever. GitS is set in the future, during a time when the line between technology and humanity is blurred. Following that, GitS comprises two more movies and a TV series, Stand Alone Complex, that had two seasons.

「花酒をタンダに」 by たけのこ

In 2007, they adapted the first of a series of fantasy novels, Seirei no Moribito. The show follows an incredibly skilled spearwoman as she is hired to protect a child prince of the imperial family who is under threat of assassination. It's a journey that has a mix of (pretty well choreographed) action and calmer scenes of living and growing.

「平行線をつなげば」by ayu

Eden of the East is an original production about a conspiracy involving twelve randomly selected people who are tasked with saving Japan. The show examines social problems that are fairly unique to Japan, in particular adults in their twenties and NEETs. It aired in 2009 during the noitaminA timeslot and is concluded in two films.

「HEROES」 by にぼし

Sengoku Basara is 2009 show based on a series of video games of the same name. It features a caricaturized Sengoku-era Japan and lots of explosions, both metaphorical and literal. Amazing feats are performed by real Japanese warlords. It's a surprisingly popular show given its origins. A good choice if you're in the mood for ridiculous action and Japanese history.

「期待しちゃっても…」 by しろたか

They ended 2009 off by adapting a popular shoujo manga, Kimi ni Todoke. This one is about a girl whose social awkwardness and resemblance to the girl from the Ring lead her to be ostracized throughout her school life until she catches the attention of a certain guy. The series is all about how she breaks out of her isolation and discovering the joy of friendship.

Obviously, they've worked on a lot more stuff, being around for so long. Most recently, they worked on the film adaptation for Bungaku Shoujo, which was in theatres May 1 this year. I don't exactly anticipate that they'll pick up my favourite adaptations or anything since they don't really have a pattern in what sorts of things they do, but if they happen to land it, I know it's going to be in good hands.
blkmage

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:19 pm

I love Production IG! They did awesome with Tsubasa (movie and OVAs) and xxxHOLiC! They made the characters literally look like they came off the pages of the manga! I'm sure they do that with all the other manga adaptions they do.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:27 pm

I think the only thing I've seen from them is a bit of Tsubasa and Moribito, so they're not at the top of my list or anything. TheSubtleDoctor is going to make me watch Sengoku Basara though, so, who knows?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Oh yeah, I liked what I've seen so far of GitS: SAC, but I have yet to see any of the movies.
Ante Bellum

Postby Cadence » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:50 pm

I haven't watched enough of Production I.G.'s shows to contribute much to this thread, but those that I have watched have quickly secured their place in my favorites. I remember being very impressed with the incredible quality of the animation while watching Moribito. Ghost Hound was also top notch. Oh, and I can't talk about Production I.G. without mentioning Tokyo Marble Chocolate! ^_^
Cadence

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:53 pm

All I can say is, they do awesome work. I adore GitS, and Higashi no Eden just made me fall in love XD But they also did great work on Tsubasa and xxxHolic. They've produced a few of my favoritest that haven't even been mentioned, like Ghost Hound and Real Drive. And for all those FLCL fans out there (and I know that there are thousands), they produced that- perhaps the most famous, popular anime of theirs EVER.

Their production values are always steady and up there- always a plus- and have a knack for adaptations that really makes their shows worth watching. They're always a good pick for whoever you're trying to please, and that makes them a personal favorite of mine, because I have such a wide range of tastes and interests that I apreciate the variety that they offer.

In short, I can't say enough about them. Now, while they haven't always produced the most-loved anime out there, so many are so good that they stand on their own two feet and deserve a good reputation.
Atria35

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:03 pm

I loved their CLAMP adaptations, and what little I've seen of Moribito I liked a lot. Another of my favorites by them which no one has mentioned yet is Otogi Zoshi.
Wyntre Rose

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:30 pm

Production IG is one of my faves, They also produced Blood+ which is an anime I really adore, lol. Their character designs are always interesting, and well done in my opinion. I also love their backgrounds and GCI work.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:29 am

Blood +, Eden of the East, Kimi ni Todoke - this is why I love Production IG so very much.

I see Moribito is also one of their works, I think I'm gonna watch this as soon as I finish the novel first
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:20 am

Moribito and GITS are true masterpieces.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:13 am

Seeing the picture you posted for Eden of the East makes me want to watch it more now. O:

The only anime I've seen from them is Blood+ and one episode of Please Save My Earth.
Though, I was surprised that they did the art/animation for Tales of Symphony. That makes me like them more.
I think the art style. It's a bit simplistic, but still versatile enough to create interesting characters.
goldenspines

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:47 am

GITS and EoE are my personal faves from IG. The only thing I don't like from IG is End of Eva but they still did an amazing job animation-wise.

goldenspines (post: 1410166) wrote:I think the art style. It's a bit simplistic, but still versatile enough to create interesting characters.

The art is simplistic yeah but you'll notice that rarely if ever is a single scene not moving. The characters are blinking, their hair moving, the environment is fairly alive. There's always something going on in each scene. I really adore I.G for this.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:54 am

goldenspines (post: 1410166) wrote:Seeing the picture you posted for Eden of the East makes me want to watch it more now. O:

Do It! EotE is just amazing.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:21 pm

I think Eden of the East (EotE, guys; EoE is End of Eva ┐(´~`;)┌) is the recent work of theirs that is distinctly theirs, kind of in the same way that Eureka Seven or FMA is distinctly Bones. Before EotE, they were the GitS guys. And it's funny, because the team behind EotE (other than character designs by Honey and Clover's Umino Chika) is actually the GitS team.

Buuuuut, my favourite is still going to be Kimi ni Todoke. SECOND SEASON WHERE
blkmage

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Production IG is kind of my favorite studio.

Ones that I like from Production IG are,

Blood+
Blood: The Last Vampire
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Ghost Hound
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society
IGPX microseries
The King of Fighters: Another Day
Patlabor
Patlabor: The Movie
Patlabor 2: The Movie
The Sky Crawlers

And they also did the cut scenes for the video game Xenogears as well as other games as well.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Falx » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:06 pm

IMO I.G is one of the few studios that can consistently equal and sometimes surpass Bones in the animation department.

Their story-telling can be a bit hit-and-miss though.

I was pretty astonished at just how amazingly animated Kimi ni Todoke was once I really paid attention. The hair, oh my word... I've never seen animated hair move so realistically in the wind.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Nekomimi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:18 am

They did Kimi ni Todoke, too? Yeah, I always thought of them primarily as the GitS production house, oops ;;
Nekomimi

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:51 am

[SIZE="1"]Psst, the next one of these threads should be about Sunrise :B[/SIZE]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:34 am

or gonzo.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sheol777 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:51 am

They also did the anime short in Kill Bill
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:31 am

Not much to say other than two points: (1) I.G. is one of my favorite studios; as far as quality, I think I.G. and Madhouse are 1 and 1A (2) They really should apologize to Oshii for forcing him to make GitS 2.0 against his will.

Sheol777 (post: 1410355) wrote:They also did the anime short in Kill Bill
CoolJapan, ftw.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:47 am

I think after watching Kimi ni Todoke and reading the first volume of Bungaku Shoujo, the thing I am most super excited about is not the second Eden of the East movie, but the Bungaku Shoujo movie.
blkmage

Postby Falx » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:08 am

blkmage (post: 1410419) wrote:I think after watching Kimi ni Todoke and reading the first volume of Bungaku Shoujo, the thing I am most super excited about is not the second Eden of the East movie, but the Bungaku Shoujo movie.

There's a 3 episode OVA, of which the first episode is out right now.

It's pretty good! Just watched it this morning!
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:29 am

Yeah, I found out about it yesterday. It reminded me of how much I enjoyed the book and made me preorder it.
blkmage

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews