Viz Media Lays Off Up to 60, Closes NY Branch

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 am

Nate (post: 1396446) wrote:Um...I fail to see how this is "unfortunate." You...you DO realize that the regular broadcast schedule in Japan of anime shows is one episode per week, right? So you're basically watching it at the same rate a person in Japan watches it. I...I fail to see how this is unfortunate. You could just not watch it right now and then buy a DVD box set and watch it all at once if it's really so direly important to watch something faster than it comes out.

I mean I'm watching fansubs of Goseiger and Kamen Rider W and I get one a week and I've got no complaints.
Cross Game.
MAL wrote:Aired: Apr 5, 2009 to Mar 28, 2010
As you can see, Viz has picked this up two months after it has finished, so this isn't like watching Durarara as it comes out. They have all of the episodes but are only releasing them one at a time. My annoyance is exacerbated by the fact that last week Viz gave us the first five episodes at once, as they have done for other streaming titles. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that we get it at all]two[/B] episodes a week of other already finished licenses, such as Hikaru no Go, Kekkaishi and Prince of Tennis, well, you come to expect a similar kind of thing for Cross Game. I mean, they give us two a week of another sports show, so why not Cross Game? Most likely, in my opinion, it's b/c it is not a high priority for the reduced staff; and it's a new project, so it's not like they're going from two a week to one a week, which would probably annoy a greater number of people to a greater degree.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue May 25, 2010 9:19 am

What? Not only is Cross Game n times shorter than Hikaru no Go and Prince of Tennis for some integer n>2, both of those shows have been finished for years compared to two months for Cross Game. It's not unreasonable at all for it to have a (marginally) slower release rate. I'm all for righteous anger, but releasing a recent show at the rate that it was originally released at doesn't fall into that category for me.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue May 25, 2010 9:43 am

blkmage (post: 1396529) wrote:I'm all for righteous anger, but releasing a recent show at the rate that it was originally released at doesn't fall into that category for me.
I would say I'm a mixture of disappointed/mildly annoyed rather than angry (no exclamation marks in the above post after all!...maybe I just come off as an angry guy?). You have a reasonable point, magey, but I still can't help being let down a bit =).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nate » Tue May 25, 2010 10:30 am

I still don't see how you can be disappointed or mildly annoyed at watching a show at the same rate that it was originally aired. You're watching it exactly the same way people in Japan watched it when it was airing. Again, if you're so keen on watching a bunch of episodes at once then just don't watch it now and buy DVDs and watch ten episodes a day or whatever. It just doesn't make any sense to be disappointed in one episode a week.

The only way I could see it being disappointing is if the original air rate was one episode per day or something and they were releasing it once a week. That would be a semi-valid complaint (not entirely though as it takes time to translate and encode and whatnot so of course they couldn't necessarily produce one episode a day).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews