SUMMER of (2010) ANIME

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

SUMMER of (2010) ANIME

Postby blkmage » Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 pm

I'll be you were wondering if there was going to be any anime next season. It turns out there is!

The chart, as always.

COPY/PASTED HEADER
Much like the threads before it, this is a thread I created for the discussion of new anime that will be airing on TV in Japan in the Summer 2010 season. Anime typically gets released and runs for a number of seasons. The year is divided up into four seasons: January to March is winter, April to June is spring, July to September is summer, and October to December is fall. Each season is approximately 13 weeks.

Here, we can talk about what shows look interesting, what we plan to watch, and generally get giddy and excited for things that we've been anticipating for a while. There's a handy chart of all the shows that are coming up, with a short blurb about the premise of the show and what studio will be handling it. As we get closer to the season, more information shows up, like the first airing date. Other information like staff and cast obviously won't fit, but it's not too hard to use the Google to find out.

WHAT ARE THE SUMMER ANIME HAPS
It's summer, which means that there are few enough shows that I can judge them all! What fun!

[color="lime"]Highschool of the Dead[/color] looks to be one of the big ones this season. It's got Madhouse behind it, so it shouldn't be terrible.

Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin is the next Anime no Chikara show. There's very little other information about it.

[color="Lime"]Sengoku Basara 2[/color]: ARE YOU READY FOR HORSES WITH MUFFLERS AND MOTORBIKE HANDLES AND SCALING WALLS AT RIGHT ANGLES GUYS? PUT YOUR GUNZ ON

[color="lime"]Shiki[/color] is a supernatural/horror manga that I've heard very good things about. The only thing I've watched from Daume is the first season of Minami-ke, and that remains the best and only watchable season of that show, so I am optimistic.

Kuroshitsuji 2 is the second season of Kuroshitsuji. If you're happy about it, then you're happy about it.

Nurarihyon no Mago is a manga currently running in Weekly Shounen Jump. I have no idea what it's about, but it's being done by Studio DEEN, lolololol.

Tono to Issho looks like something none of us will watch.

The Legend of Legendary Heroes is some fantasy light novel adaptation.

Osaka Hamlet is another show none of us will be watching.

Amagami SS is based on a popular visual novel series. It looks to be the standard galge fare, but I'm probably going to give it a shot because of the buzz.

Ookamisan to Shichinin no Nakamatchi looks like someone ran out of original character designs.

Mitsudomoe looks like another comedy with 'those crazy kids these days'.

Strike Witches 2 is lol.

Asobi ni Iku yo! features a girl with animal ears but is not about economics.

Seitokai Yakuindomo is another show about a guy on an all-girl student council. Sigh.

Shukufuku no Campanella is another boring adaptation of something.

Seikirei: Pure Engagement is also lol.

Digimon Xros Wars is DIGITAL MONSTERS, DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS

WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Yeah, there's nothing that really stands out this season as top tier material. There are a few things that should be interesting to check out and will probably turn out to be good watches. I'd say Shiki and HSotD are the two to take a look at. Beyond that, it's up to personal taste, sense of adventure, and tolerance for bad shows.
blkmage

Postby Wolf-man » Tue May 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Highschool of the Dead sounds awesome! :( but it looks horribly inappropriate. Oh well I'll try watching the first couple episodes then probably end up dropping it after that. Sigh...maybe they will make a clean zombie anime or at least clean non-demonic horror anime would good. So far Death Note is the best I have gotten.

Just saw that the new Digimon series is on the list!!!!
WOOT!!!!!! That makes up for highshool of the dead...sort of.
Wolf-man

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:12 pm

I am here to sum up this season with one word.

"Eh."
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:39 pm

blkmage wrote:The Legend of Legendary Heroes

Call the Department of Redundancy Department, because someone needs to call them.
Amagami SS wrote:a second-year high school student who dislikes Christmas due to a past experience.

lolwut
Digimon: Xros Wars wrote:It is meant to coincide with the release of new toy straps and capsules.

Honesty is a refreshing thing, isn't it?
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby MightiMidget » Tue May 18, 2010 10:45 pm

Shiki sounds potentially interesting, and I'll probably read some reviews of HSotD and see if it sounds worth it...but most other things there sound rather meh.

If Legend of the Legendary Heroes' did not look so much like a D.Gray-man parody in its artwork I'm seeing? I maybe, maybe would try it. But the closeness in the advertising doesn't sound worth it.
MightiMidget

Postby MasterDias » Tue May 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Shiki is based on the manga adaptation of a horror novel by The Twelve Kingdoms author Fuyumi Ono.
I gave the manga a brief look awhile back, but not enough to really form much of an opinion.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Tue May 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Sengoku Basara 2 looks interesting. Well, at least Japan is starting to go away from the moe craze.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Falx » Wed May 19, 2010 2:08 am

Highschool of The Dead sounds like the best thing I won't be watching.

I don't understand the desire to give women spine-snapping breasts and think it's attractive.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Falx » Wed May 19, 2010 2:11 am

Ugh... Mistsudomoe's summary sounds off putting... I was hoping it would be a clean comedy.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:27 am

Highschool of the Dead- I enjoy action flicks, and this looks like it might be fun (I actually have a preference for the animated ones- it's easier to take the whole cheeziness when I know it's totally not real in the first place. Cheap live-actions disappoint me in every way unless they're the comedy/parodies)

Shiki- looks fascinating. It might turn out to be a Higurashi rip-off, but I'll definately check this one out!

Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin - Well, it can't be any worse than anything else on here.... right?

I'm so disappointed by how Nurarihyon looks. Can that hair get any bigger? ><" XP
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed May 19, 2010 1:48 pm

I echo the Shiki sentiments. Check the teaser trailer, here. Since it is going to air in the noitaminA timeslot, does that mean that Funimation will be streaming it?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Wed May 19, 2010 2:08 pm

Ah yeah, I would hope that that's the case. And I really hope that means they'll be streaming the Moyashimon live-action drama too, but unfortunately, that is significantly less likely.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed May 19, 2010 3:04 pm

The only thing I'll be checking out this summer is the Kure-nai OAD, because Kure-nai is awesome. But hey, fall has Tegami Bachi, Bakuman, new Brains Base, and probably more.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MightiMidget » Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm looking very forward to the second season of Tegami Bachi in the fall. Yay! The Shiki trailer looks cool, and interesting, and I like the animation, so...looking more and more likely as something to watch.

BTW, @TheSubtleDoctor, love your new avatar. :D
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:02 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1395367) wrote:I'm looking very forward to the second season of Tegami Bachi in the fall. Yay! The Shiki trailer looks cool, and interesting, and I like the animation, so...looking more and more likely as something to watch.

I'd never thought I'd go out of my way to say this on this board, but it looks like a rip-off if Higurashi no naku koro ni- I'd recommend watching that first so you can see what's considered one of the 'gold standards' for horror in anime. I have to admit, I'll be following it too out of curiosity because I could be wrong, but the setup is.... eeriliy similar.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Wed May 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Atria35 (post: 1395375) wrote:I'd never thought I'd go out of my way to say this on this board, but it looks like a rip-off if Higurashi no naku koro ni- I'd recommend watching that first so you can see what's considered one of the 'gold standards' for horror in anime. I have to admit, I'll be following it too out of curiosity because I could be wrong, but the setup is.... eeriliy similar.

That's a fairly strong accusation there which, upon doing a bit of research, I've found is completely unfounded.

First of all, the only thing that Shiki shares with Higurashi is premise and setting, which, considering Higurashi's unique narrative structure, is only superficial, unless you also somehow know Shiki's narrative structure. The only way Shiki can be a ripoff of Higurashi is if they share the same "twist". It's the twist that makes Higurashi what it is, not the premise. Simply sharing a similar setup isn't something I'd consider ripoff material.

Secondly, the original novel for Shiki was published in 1998. The first installment of Higurashi was released in 2002.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:22 pm

blkmage (post: 1395379) wrote:That's a fairly strong accusation there which, upon doing a bit of research, I've found is completely unfounded.

First of all, the only thing that Shiki shares with Higurashi is premise and setting, which, considering Higurashi's unique narrative structure, is only superficial, unless you also somehow know Shiki's narrative structure. The only way Shiki can be a ripoff of Higurashi is if they share the same "twist". It's the twist that makes Higurashi what it is, not the premise. Simply sharing a similar setup isn't something I'd consider ripoff material.

Secondly, the original novel for Shiki was published in 1998. The first installment of Higurashi was released in 2002.

Really? Well, then I recind my statement- the premise looked incredibly similar. I mean, small village in the middle of nowhere, villagers hiding a secret, murder.... okay, I can see how there might be differences in the story. But the initial look at the preview really didn't show many differences between it and Higurshi, so that's where I got my impression.
Atria35

Postby MightiMidget » Wed May 19, 2010 5:22 pm

I'll probably end up watching Higurashi first, just cause it's on hulu now. But we'll see. =) For the most part though, one thing is more than likely ripping something off from something else no matter what you try. (poor wording oh well.) I don't know enough about either yet, but you never know, Atria, it might surprise you. :grin: (or it could be even worse than you fear, but hey.)
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Wed May 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that "mysterious things happening in rural villages" seems to be a common setting/trope for Japanese horror.
blkmage

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:10 pm

blkmage (post: 1395382) wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that "mysterious things happening in rural villages" seems to be a common setting/trope for Japanese horror.

The first Godzilla movie does this in 1954 as well.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby blkmage » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:16 pm

Here's an interesting post that came up in my feed reader about Shiki, the novel.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:43 pm

blkmage (post: 1399098) wrote:Here's an interesting post that came up in my feed reader about Shiki, the novel.

.... Hmmm..... Curiouser and curiouser....
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:48 am

As was my suspicion, it seems that the reason Crunchyroll didn't get many shows is that there are now many other interested parties competing for licenses and killing fansubs. For next season's streams, we've got:

Funimation
Legend of Legendary Heroes
Kuroshitsuji 2
Seikirei 2 (more like suckyrei mirite)
Shiki
Sengoku Basara 2
MOYASHIMON LIVE-ACTION HELLS YES THIS IS THE GREATEST AAAAAAAAA

Sentai
Highschool of the Dead

As you can see, there's not much left for CR to take.
blkmage

Postby Wolf-man » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:39 am

Well I don't care so long as someone gets Digimon Xros Wars.
Wolf-man

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Well said, good sir. Well said.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:07 am

So some interesting stuff has been going on in Japan.

When Sengoku Basara 2 was confirmed for summer, there was also the interesting note that it would be running in the super-expensive Sunday 5pm timeslot. The timeslot has been running anime since spring 2008, and there have been three shows that have run during it: Code Geass R2, Gundam 00 Second Season, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Obviously, with predecessors like that, there was a ton of concern that the Sengoku Basara Production Committee was just throwing money down the drain.

As it turns out, Sengoku Basara is doing pretty alright in its new timeslot, and by pretty alright, I mean crushing all of the shows that ran before it. Recall that Sunday 5pm is not a late-night slot, so the shows that run in this slot tend to represent shows that are more mainstream than usual.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:41 am

blkmage (post: 1408836) wrote:So some interesting stuff has been going on in Japan.

When Sengoku Basara 2 was confirmed for summer, there was also the interesting note that it would be running in the super-expensive Sunday 5pm timeslot. The timeslot has been running anime since spring 2008, and there have been three shows that have run during it: Code Geass R2, Gundam 00 Second Season, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Obviously, with predecessors like that, there was a ton of concern that the Sengoku Basara Production Committee was just throwing money down the drain.

As it turns out, Sengoku Basara is doing pretty alright in its new timeslot, and by pretty alright, I mean crushing all of the shows that ran before it. Recall that Sunday 5pm is not a late-night slot, so the shows that run in this slot tend to represent shows that are more mainstream than usual.
*Dances*
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Cadence » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 pm

blkmage (post: 1408836) wrote:As it turns out, Sengoku Basara is doing pretty alright in its new timeslot, and by pretty alright, I mean crushing all of the shows that ran before it. Recall that Sunday 5pm is not a late-night slot, so the shows that run in this slot tend to represent shows that are more mainstream than usual.

Wait, seriously? I didn't see that coming. Am I thinking of the right Sengoku Basara...the show featuring a bunch of dancing samurai in the op, and the wannabe bike gang...with horses? Maybe I ought to finish watching the first season so that I can find out what all the excitement is about this second season. =)
Cadence

Postby Sheol777 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:03 am

Thanks for this again, blkmage
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:05 am

Cadence (post: 1409325) wrote:Maybe I ought to finish watching the first season so that I can find out what all the excitement is about this second season. =)
YESSIR
TheSubtleDoctor

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews