Hikaru no Go~ Latest News, Anime, Manga, etc

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Hikaru no Go~ Latest News, Anime, Manga, etc

Postby steenajack » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:20 pm

So this thread is basically a discussion of both the anime and the manga. This includes episodes, chapters, the sub, the dub, favorite characters, fanfictions/fanart, anime/manga collections.....etc. This is basically a fan thread for Hikaru no Go. Please use spoiler tags if need be.
Yes, I'm aware 3 other threads have been made for this anime. But, I didn't want to grave-dig, y'know? I'd rather start a new and improved thread for Hikaru no Go fans, so they can discuss recent development in the series, rather than focusing on old news:thumb:.

So without further, I shall start the conversation with why I love this series so much.

There is something so addicting and appealing to this series. The characters, in my opinion, are wonderfully developed. The art is very realistic and fantastic (but then, what do you expect from the same artist of Death Note. lol) The story is just enthralling, and each chapter left me wondering "WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! I want to read more.":dance: I like the "coming-of-age" type storyline. I guess I kind of relate to those kinds of stories for some reason. The same goes for the anime. I actually watched the anime first before reading the manga. :3

Favorite characters:
Akira Toya: There is something about his driven personality that I just love. He's intelligent, practical, with a hint of obsession. XD! But, he also has his moments where he's actually kinda sweet/cute. Here is a prime example so you can get a feel for what I mean (http://www.onemanga.com/Hikaru_no_Go/71/01/) This picture really makes me squee. X3! And yet this same guy can be so intense such as in here (http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/Akiratoya03/hikaru%20no%20go/AkiraXD.jpg). Also, Akira is quite attractive (in my opinion) and is actually my very first favorite bishonen. X3! <= *fangirl moment*

Sai: So adorable, lovable, and glompable. X3! I don't care if he looks and acts a bit.....effeminate. I ADORE this character! I was so sad when [spoiler]he disappeared.[/spoiler] :waah!: Seriously, that scene in the anime hurt so much. And then [spoiler] when Hikaru started looking for him, but couldn't find him. Then decides to stop playing. But then, in comes Isumi to play a game against Hikaru and.....let's just say that was one of the most emotional turning points in this anime[/spoiler] Oh man!

Hikaru Shindo: Hey, even though he is a pain, he is still the main character. And, I actually grew to like him as the series progressed.:jump: Even though he was so rude to Sai (and practically EVERYONE ELSE:bang:), he still became a bit nicer later. While maintaining his....bluntness and teasing sense of humor, he does mature as the series went on. I guess in a sense, I do relate to him a little bit...at least in the growing/maturing sense. Though, I do like ramen. lol:lol:

Alright, any other fans of this series? Go ahead and post away. Comment, rant, post links to video, pictures, fanart, fanfictions....go ahead. Fly my pretties. EEHeeeheeheeheehee!!!!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:55 am

Aw, yay! I love Hikago! (As steen knows only too well. We've had many a private message gushing about it!);):hug:

I'm a total Sai fangirl.
ImageImage
Glompable is right! I think Sai resonates so well with me because I was one of those kids that had "invisible" friends growing up, and so Sai is just like what any kid like that dreams of having "for real." And yes, it broke my heart when
[spoiler] he disappeared.[/spoiler]

Hikaru I like not because he's particularly likeable (at least, certainly not at first) but because he's a pretty rare breed of shounen "hero." At least, in my limited experience. A main character with an attitude problem that actually has to work really hard to get better (no magical power ups here - though it looks like it to the others in-universe whenever Sai takes over, of course) and that has a believable journey towards becoming more mature (and, you know, nice). :)

Akira I like because, though he's light years more mature than Hikaru when they first meet, his friendship/rivalry with Hikaru does help him to grow as well - and though his personality doesn't invoke pity, since he's so capable, and takes everything so well - his situation kind of tugs at my heartstrings. It's like he was never able to really be a kid and just have fun until Hikaru came along and gave him a rival of his own age. And I like how he doesn't hate Hikaru for being (as he thinks) better than he is. He lets that spur him on, and he respects and likes Hikaru (when Hikaru lets him).

That's all for now, I'll be back later when I have more time!
Wyntre Rose

Postby steenajack » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:02 pm

YAY! Thank you Wyntre for posting. XD! A fellow fan.....and yes, I do see what you mean about Akira. He does seem like one of those people who haven't gotten a chance to REALLY be a kid. Also, when he went to Kaio middle school [spoiler] the students treated him so badly! :( And he was not as aware of it at first until, the one part during when he was forced to play 2 or 3 simultaneous games of Go BLIND. And then that one girl confronted him, and she was pretty harsh, but still. I felt bad for Akira then. :( [/spoiler]

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Yeah! That's exactly what I mean! Either people idolized him, and therefore kept him at a distance, or treated him like he was some awful person that was deliberately trying to ruin their lives by being a talented player. Poor sweetie. :( Probably to him, a rival that was at his level would be the closest thing he'd ever had to a real friend his own age.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Vega » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:54 pm

I like Yuki Mitani!Just wanted to say that.As soon as I came accross his defiant/swindling attitude,He stuck to me.I also think that he added a new side to the Go playing community depicted in this series.Before his appearance,we were introduced to characters like Hikaru,Sai,Akira and Toya Meijin who(in my opinion) play Go in a certain,mainstream way.Yuki showed a new way to play,A kindof hussling/sly style!
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby steenajack » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:59 am

Yes, Yuki Mitani is quite an interesting character indeed. :D! I just didn't like it when [spoiler] he got mad at Hikaru for becomeing an insei and left the Go club for a bit (which of course I understand since Hikaru wouldn't be able to compete in the tournaments, which they were looking forward to. That was a bit ignorant of Hikaru.) But then he seems to stay mad even after Yuki decides to come back, and the two never appear to find resolve. :( That made me a bit sad. I still like Yuki though. [/spoiler] Speaking of Yuki:
http://images.absoluteanime.com/hikaru_no_go/yuuki.jpg

For some reason, there is something about him that kinda reminds me of Han Solo. O_o! I don't know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing. O_o?

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 pm

I have seen like only a couple episodes of this (Ooh, it's dubbed by the Ocean Group. Gah! Hikaru's voice is the same as Julian from Cardcaptors! And the Go-master ghost dude.....HE SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE CHRISTIAN FROM THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS AUDIO TAPES!!!!).

I liked what I saw, and plan on finishing it. I plan on buying volume 1 of the anime and volume 1 of the manga, so I can compare! (Kind of like what I am doing with xxxHOLiC, enjoying it together).
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Wyntre Rose » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:50 pm

steenajack (post: 1383252) wrote:For some reason, there is something about him that kinda reminds me of Han Solo. O_o! I don't know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing. O_o?

lol...Well, they are both swindlers. :cool:
Wyntre Rose

Postby steenajack » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Definetly! lol. XD!

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews