2009 was pretty cool

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby NothingClever » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Well, this is my first full year of watching anime and I spent allot of the year digging through the library of a streaming site. Consequently most of the titles i watched aren't actually from '09. After browsing the forums here I realize I've probably missed a good portion of the better shows of the last few years. However of the ~35 shows I did watch some of the best were:

Last Exile - A great story with an fantastic setting. Something about the flying battleships just captures my imagination. Best of all, I can share it with my sisters without reservation.

Hayate no Gotoku seasons 1 & 2 - Nothing beats 1/2 hour of laughs after a long days work. Very little is serious in this show and it's great.

Code Geass 1 & 2 - Sure it had it's faults and I understand that there are better shows out there that I haven't seen yet, but it had me hooked at the first cliffhanger and drug me though until the last episode of R2.

Aria - Not sure why I like this show so much, nothing ever happens. Still it's a very beautiful show and I keep watching.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1 & 2 - I watched the first season in original broadcast order and nearly dropped it on the first episode. However, I was tired and any show with the audacity to air the episodes out of order deserves a second chance. Haruhi's outrageous personality, Kyon's deadpan narrative, and the whole off the wall premise kept me entertained until the Endless Eight... I found some translations of the light novels and I can't wait for Disappearance in '10.

Spice and Wolf 1 & 2 - Personally, the best of the year. The art work, the setting, the central theme, the business dealings, Lawrence and Holo's relationship; it all works for me. One of the few times I've cared about the characters enough to want to give them advice. I'm really hoping for a season 3. Even if wiser minds in the Spice and Wolf thread suggest it's unlikely.

Heroic Age - A good, clean space epic made better by the fact I watching mostly mediocre shows at the time.

Those are the one that stand out the most anyway.
NothingClever

Postby blkmage » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:30 pm

It seems like a really long time ago, so I forgot that certain shows were finishing up in the winter that started in fall 08. This includes one of my absolute favourites, Clannad After Story. For those of you who have watched the first season of Clannad and haven't gone on to After Story yet, you should. Clannad is a pretty good show, but it's unmatched in the story that it tells in the actual After Story arc. The theme that sits in the background during the formative parts of Clannad forces its way to the forefront in a very powerful way during the second half of After Story. I'll say it again, the After Story arc is the reason why Clannad is considered Key's greatest work. Watch it, and Dango Daikazoku will never be the same again.

So yeah, I had to wait three months into 2009 before I was allowed to declare Clannad After Story the best anime of 2008.

I also watched Aria near the beginning of this year and since a lot of people are discovering it, I figure I should say more about it. In a way, my feelings about it are along the lines of Clannad. It's not exactly the same, since Aria is a lot more consistent in its tone, but the last few episodes of Aria the Origination acts in the same role as the After Story arc, where we see the culmination of the last forty-something episodes and finally arrive at the destination after the long and memorable journey.

And the two are similar in that they act as very good reminders of what's important in life. Clannad is an emotional tale about one man's journey as he struggles to learn what family means. Aria is a series of snapshots in a girl's life as she finds enjoyment in the things that she encounters each day. Both are spectacular shows and really deserve your time.

And about Spice and Wolf season three, the second season is doing fairly decently and there's tons of volumes of the light novel that haven't been animated yet, so a third season is very possible.
blkmage

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:30 am

OOoh, thanks Mith... I forgot Midori no Hibi. I watched... and loved it. Not one I can show to anyone (if the weird factor didn't get to them, the nudity would) but a nice story nonetheless... Quite sweet, especially considering the premise. The sister stuff was a bit weird, though.

I also think there's a good chance I watched Air all the way through this year. I had seen the first couple episodes before, but I decided to watch it all the way. It was really depressing, though not as bad as Bokura no, which I MAY have watched this year, too... I don't remember. It may have been late last year, though. I was gonna say that I saw the first three eps of School days and the last ep this year, but I remember showing the "nice boat" to someone around Christmas last year, so I didn't see it this year.

Since I mentioned Umineko, it should count that I watched Higurashi Rei this year. And I finished Haruhi for the first time, and also watched season 2. I never got past the baseball game in Chronological order before because I thought it would all just get boring after the BIG episode, and indeed the baseball one was a bit boring, but it got better and now it's one of my favorites (though I still think she's EVIL)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:57 am

Eureka Seven - This is probably the best show I've seen this year. The first bit, while good, is a bit slow. Takes about ten episodes to really get going, but once it does, it does I really felt that they got everything right here. At times the show is sweetly melancholy, at times weightily dark, and at times absolutely joyful. I became enamored with six or seven of the main characters, and the Renton/Eureka love story just felt so authentic. In fact, you come away from the show in awe of just how powerful/effecting love can be. Of course, the mecha action, the music, mood etc. are fantastic. The ending was truly beautiful.

Romeo X Juliet - I had no idea this was going to be such a delight. Exhilarating adventure story. Romeo is such an admirable character. Enjoyed every minute.

Yu Yu Hakusho - Excellent stuff. I began the show some years ago and decided to finish up the last two seasons. Shonen tournament fighting executed to perfection.

Naruto/Naruto Shippuden - Currently in the middle of this one. This is far, far better than I expected, and my expectations were already high. To me, this show really expands the boundaries of what shone anime can accomplish. While the action is as good as it gets, the emotional weight of the show is something to behold (and the weight doesn't come from trite angst). Will be watching this one all the way through.

Fantastic Children - In the midst of this one as well. This show is a real gem! ANN's claim about FC making you "think circles around yourself" is no exaggeration. One of the only sci-fi anime I've seen lately, and it is a keeper. The atmosphere is executed so well, and the slow revealing of the mysteries is a joy to view. My heart has already been won by a terrific cast. Can't wait to see more after I finish this post.

Death Note - Blew through this show in a week or so. Wow. I haven't seen anything like it. Watching Light outsmart detectives filled me with such glee, yet seeing him get what was coming also felt so just.

Twelve Kingdoms - What a fantastic anime! I have yet to see such a carefully worked out, detailed fantasy world, and it came to life in such an appealing way. Need more!!!

Peacemaker Kurogane - Good watch. Although I enjoy shows about this particular period in Japanese history, I honestly don't remember much about PMK except the battles. They were nice. There were some tense moments too.

Fate/Stay Night - Good show ruined by an awful ending. Seriously...:comp: That ending killed all the love I had for the show and its characters. WTH.

Black Cat - I was disappointed by this one. I've heard the manga was better, so maybe I'll check it out.

Whoo! Enjoyed a lot of great shows this year. 2010 will start off good too as I will be able to kick it off w/ the Hunter X Hunter box sets I got for Christmas.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby crusader88 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:19 pm

I certainly enjoyed a lot of good animes this year, but just months ago one of my favorites, Shugo Chara!, totally jumped the shark and turned into a variety show for kindergartners. That weighs heavily against 2009 in my book.
...you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age... Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books.

-Ignatius J. Reilly, in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, 1960s

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
crusader88

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews