Wolf's Rain

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Wolf's Rain

Postby SeraphicCharm » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:28 pm

So I've been hearing a lot about Wolf's Rain, and I'm not sure about watching it. I absolutely love wolves; they're my fav animal. The show, however, looks somewhat violent, so I don't know if it's worth watching. And which would be better, subbed or dubbed? I've watched the first episode, dubbed, so far, and I understand how it works.

This thread is also for anyone who wants to comment on the series, just all in Christian love! So let your thoughts about this anime be known here!
SeraphicCharm

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:42 pm

[quote="SeraphicCharm)"]So I've been hearing a lot about Wolf's Rain, and I'm not sure about watching it. I absolutely love wolves]

Its a bit bloody and its okay. Its not a great anime as it leaves you kind of hanging at the end of the series and then the OVA, which is the ending. Just give you what do you think happen point of view.

As for sub vs dub. I heard both and the dub is just as good as the sub.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 pm

I love Wolf's Rain. But then, I love anything with Yoko Kanno music in it. The only thing I didn't like was the ending.
[spoiler] It's just starting the whole thing over![/spoiler]
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Wolf's Rain is beautiful. One of my favorites, but yeah, the ending isn't very satisfying to most. If you need an all-loose-ends-tied-up-everyone-lives-happily-ever-after-ending, you're probably going to have a hard time with it.

And yes, there are some pretty violent scenes, though I do believe that the first episode kind of sets the standard - Kiba's intro is maybe about par for how violent the rest of the series is, so if you saw the first episode and didn't mind it, you shouldn't have a problem.

The thing I love about Wolf's Rain is the whole feel of it. It's an apocalyptic urban fairytale of a sort, set in Russia, seemingly, and it's very different from any other anime I've seen. And Yoko Kanno's music is amazing in this anime!

As to sub/dub, they are both great. Personally, the sub has some of my favorite seiyuu in it, so that's what I prefer, but I've watched the whole thing in both and the dub is one of the best ones I've heard. It's right up there with Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:54 pm

Wyntre Rose wrote:The thing I love about Wolf's Rain is the whole feel of it. It's an apocalyptic urban fairytale of a sort, set in Russia, seemingly, and it's very different from any other anime I've seen. And Yoko Kanno's music is amazing in this anime!

Are you saying that is sort of set in Russia. Because as the story goes and information, it was never set in Russia.

From how it ended and the story,

Gives you the feel that [spoiler] the world that the wolves live on was not our world, but when they made it to Paradise, they enter our world.[/spoiler]

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:40 pm

Ah, you know what? You're right. My bad. Ok, it's set in a place like our Russia - alternative dimension, maybe? - I think it's all the writing in the Cyrillic alphabet that confused me. Plus, the feel of the cities is like what I get when I watch a movie that takes place in Russia. Which, again, is probably just a Hollywood-ified version of it, so what do I know, right? lol. :)
Wyntre Rose

Postby Whitefang » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:20 pm

To me, it seems like it is set in a post-apocalyptic North America. Perhaps not our world, but similar to it.

[spoiler]
Remember the mural of the rocket going into space? It looks more like an Apollo rocket than a Russian one.
Also the strong representation of American Indian tribes leads me to suspect a North American locale.
[/spoiler]

Regardless, this is one of my favorite anime series. Yes, it is very bloody, but it is not over the top. The ending isn't very happy, but honestly it's fairly typical fair for this style of anime.

The production studio is BONES, so you know the quality is good. And the dub is easily one of the best dubs I've watched, so if you prefer to watch in English, this is a good fit.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby wildpurplechild » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:27 pm

I love this series! I've got a few episodes before I'm done with it, and I'm sure I'll be sad when I'm finished with it. Yes it's bloody, but the story is so good, and the animation is wonderful. I myself prefer the sub but the dub is not bad.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:36 am

It's a good show, although it's not one that I think has universal appeal. While it has some action, it's really not all action. The show is very character driven. If you place great importance in atmosphere, as has been said, the stylish one in this show will really click with you: music, setting, backgrounds...all fabulous. There are FOUR RECAP EPISODES, which is awful. I don't remember the violence being that bad. Not to the level of, say, the Kenshin OVAs. There is some blood, but not its not a gratuitous gore-fest. The dub is actually very good; one of the better ones I've heard actually.

Now: the ending. It's truly a point of controversy. If you enjoy endings that are open to interpretation, then this one is for you. I think that the creator tries to make some sort of statement using the ending as an allegory, but as to what is being said...not sure :).

I'd give it a B/B+ rating. Enjoyable for sure, but I don't think it's groundbreakingly-great.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby wildpurplechild » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:34 pm

Oh, yes SKIP THE FILLERS! At least they don't have cheesy one-shot plots, but they are all review. I do wish they would show us more about Tsume's (and some of the other characters) background(s) though, but I still haven't finished, so maybe they do.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews