Death Note US movie

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Death Note US movie

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Wow, maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I thought Zac Efron playing Light was just an internet joke...guess it's not...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-11-22/zac-efron/death-note-remake-not-on-front-burner
Wyntre Rose

Postby minakichan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:45 pm

It's not going either way apparently, but he's "had a meeting" so...

But yeah, this is hysterical. And awesome. If he gets the role, I will cry tears of lulz, and then go watch the movie like 10 times. It'll be awesome.

(Has anyone actually seen Me and Orson Welles? How is it; can Efron actually pull off a 'real' role?)
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:09 pm

What's the deal with movies often having the beautiful people who can't act for peanuts? It's ludicrous.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:34 am

Let me guess, they'll get Nick Jonas to be L.:shady:

Hmm, I wonder if Zac is really a manga fan or if he's just bluffing. Celebrities seem to bluff about things like that quite a lot. I would have asked him a bit of trivia just to see if he had actually read DN.

Personally I'm willing to give Zac a chance but he better not screw this up. :P
Yamamaya

Postby raider~joseph » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 am

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!urk!(I died from lack of oxygen)Well if they cast a jonas brother to be L at least the many various youtube videos made by fangirls will be true.
I really don't like the jonas brothers ever sence they re did beetles.
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby Winry » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:47 am

Yamamaya (post: 1357605) wrote:Let me guess, they'll get Nick Jonas to be L.:shady:

And then we can have Miley Cyrus be Misa! =P

I'm pretty sure that would be the worst movie ever made.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:35 am

Samuel L. Jackson should be L.
Fish and Chips

Postby wildpurplechild » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:41 am

Don't kill me for this, but I actualy like Zac Efron (except in those HSM movies) but I think if they ever made an American DN it would be a big disapointment. And who would play L? Him being my favorite character, I'm really worried.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1357612) wrote:Samuel L. Jackson should be L.

"I've had enough of these *bad word* Kiras in *bad word* Japan!"-Samuel Jackson's interpretation of L.
Yamamaya

Postby Derek_Is_Me » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Interesting point of view.
Derek -The Daring Pokemon - A cool, totally awesome Pokemon that uses his power of song, medical skills and powers of cool to make others see things differently. He is not temperamental, but he likes to pull pranks and grins when you fall into his traps. Usually, he styles a fedora and prances around on all fours, he's all black with a white belly.

"Although I look into infinity. I only see the lords eyes, always shining upon my face and smiling in my heart. He will always be with me, no matter where I may go. Always watch over me lord. For I shall be eternal in your light."-Derek.
Derek_Is_Me

Location: Staring at you from your window outside. You have nice tastes in decor.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1357649) wrote:"I've had enough of these *bad word* Kiras in *bad word* Japan!"-Samuel Jackson's interpretation of L.

I LOL'ed.

I'm willing to give it a try, but I really hope they don't screw it up. I'm personally more worried about the Cowboy Bebop live-action movie than this though. Keanu Reeves doesn't really seem the type to play Spike.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Winry » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Ew Keanu Reeves...

I don't know after seeing Dragonball I'm not sure Hollywood is capable of making a good live action adaptation. We will see.... =)
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Winry

Postby minakichan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:00 pm

I don't know after seeing Dragonball I'm not sure Hollywood is capable of making a good live action adaptation. We will see.... =)

Hollywood isn't a single person/actor/director, you know...

I've seen tons of crappy Japanese and Taiwanese live-action anime adaptations. I've also seen some that were awesome, and even some that were better than the original. On the same vein, it's unfair to say that the anime industry is incapable of making a good show just because Naruto and Bleach suck. Feel free to judge the project on the people assigned to it, but don't judge the entire industry based on a single movie...

Example: I've actually read the Death Note script. Even ignoring the changes from the source material (since some people think that fidelity is the sole factor in determining a derivative work's value; it's not. The first thing fans should be complaining about is if it's crap, not "OMG THERE'S NO RYUK") it's pretty mediocre... it doesn't seem horrible yet, just not that great and not at its full potential, in my opinion. It's got some twists in it and addresses some questions that didn't show up in the series, though, so it seems to be a bit of a fresh look on the familiar premise. Putting down my blind-and-raging-purist hat, I think it's interesting enough to watch, even if it might not be "good."
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Kkun » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:35 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1357612) wrote:Samuel L. Jackson should be L.

I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby raider~joseph » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:44 pm

How did you read the script?

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Kkun (post: 1357744) wrote:Image
Jamie, thank you for finding this.
Fish and Chips

Postby Winry » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:52 pm

minakichan (post: 1357731) wrote:Hollywood isn't a single person/actor/director, you know...

Ummmm my comment was meant more as a bashing of Dragonball the movie (which I saw) than my serious opinion about whether or not it is possible a good live action movie can be made in the US. Just joking around...

Winry

Postby raider~joseph » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:01 pm

I really liked your bashing of the dragonball movie.yamcha didn't deserve what they did.

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:35 pm

That's hilarious! My deepest gratitude goes out to you.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby minakichan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:19 pm

raider~joseph (post: 1357748) wrote:How did you read the script?

Apparently someone on the project leaked it O_O]Light becomes Luke, there's no Ryuk or Misa, Light and L don't even really interact, Light does this to find out who killed his dead mom. It's... different. I'm going to say that I don't think it's as good, but NOT just because it wasn't taken word-for-word from the original.[/Spoiler]
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:39 am

I'm waiting until I hear something official before I start bemoaning it or getting all excited. Tons of things can change before it's shown on the screen.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:06 am

^That was the plot? If that's true, then they just turned Death Note into any other sterotypical movie with a supernatural twist.

Let's hope it isn't.:eh:
Yamamaya

Postby minakichan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:17 am

One thing I do like about the prototype script is that

[Spoiler]Although it kinda sucks that Light isn't really that much of a super genius anymore (he's just above-average intelligence and very clever), he's more ordinary and doesn't have a God complex. He does have more doubts about what he's doing and considers the morality behind it a little more, so Luke is a bit more relateable than Light, even though this is achieved by a bit of a cop-out. I don't think this is BETTER than the original, not at all, but it raises some questions that the original doesn't.[/spoiler]

I would say that it's a story that uses a different main character from the original, but has some similar actions. Essentially, you can look at it as an AU "what if the Death Note was picked up by a different person?" kind of thing.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:17 pm

minakichan (post: 1357852) wrote:I would say that it's a story that uses a different main character from the original, but has some similar actions. Essentially, you can look at it as an AU "what if the Death Note was picked up by a different person?" kind of thing.

I now have a way of looking at it in a positive light(Get it, I made a pun).

I should go rewatch Death Note. But now I have moral issues about watching non-official streams. Dang.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Munitz pulled off Psycho/Confused/crazy pretty well in criminal minds, so I'd say wait and see to see what Efron can do. Hopefully they don't jack up the ending at least so we can see how well Efron acts out*spoilers*.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:27 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1357885) wrote:I now have a way of looking at it in a positive light(Get it, I made a pun).

I should go rewatch Death Note. But now I have moral issues about watching non-official streams. Dang.

Bust through the heavens with the fansubs!
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:59 pm

If I were going to watch it subbed I could watch it on ANN. But, as I wish to watch it dubbed, I have a problem.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:47 pm

I can't look away...
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby AJV » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:14 am

Only seeing Zack in HSM 1 & 2, I'm not really sure how to judge how he'll do in Death Note.
But, surprisingly enough I am somewhat more hopeful that this could be pretty good (Unlike DBZ;)).
I'll wait to see the trailer before I judge it any further.

That picture is too awesome for words.:cool:
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Postby animeguild53 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:16 am

.. i like L's character the most and surely it'll be difficult.. [though the person who plays L on the japanese series and movie did well].. if they can't find the perfect person to play the role, they better stop planning the film.. haha!
[color="black"][SIZE="1"]
When I fall, [color="White"]HE[/color] lifts me up!
When I fail, [color="White"]HE[/color] forgives!
When I am [color="White"]weak[/color], HE is strong!
[color="White"]When I am lost, HE is the way![/color]
[color="White"]When I am afraid, HE is my cou[/color]rage!
When I [color="White"]stumble, HE[/color] steadies me!
When I am [color="White"]hurt[/color], HE heals me!
When I am[color="White"] broke[/color]n, HE mends me!
When I am [color="White"]blind[/color], HE leads me!
When I am [color="White"]hung[/color]ry, HE feeds me!
When I face [color="White"]trial[/color]s, HE is with me!
When I face [color="White"]pers[/color]ecution, HE shields me!
When I face [color="White"]prob[/color]lems, HE comforts me!
When I face [color="White"]loss[/color], ]HE provides for me!
When I face [color="White"]Deat[/color]h, HE carries me Home![/SIZE]

from http://emailministry.org/stories2.asp?id=1481[/color]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[color="Red"]... i'm a CHRISTian who happens to be a Student...[/color]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
animeguild53

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews