Kiss costs student his High School diploma

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:49 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1320895) wrote:I find that video to be really revealing about this whole thing. It shows exactly what happened on stage, which was more than a blown kiss. As the video comes to a close, a reporter states that "Each student had to sign one of theses. It's a form that says they'll behave, wear proper attire and they'll save the celebrating until the end of the ceremony."

What he did was pretty clearly celebrating during the ceremony. I don't necessarily agree with what they are asking of the students, but the superintendent seems to have merely followed though on what the signed form stated.

Hmm... I stand by what I said. What he did should be expected. I mean, it's his galznerking graduation. The school was still in the wrong here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1320890) wrote:I very strongly agree with what the dad said. This was a once in a lifetime event that's ruined for him.

Not entirely. He'll have the chance to graduate from college eventually, which is often viewed as a much greater achievement. Looking at high school graduation like it's the pinnacle of an 18 year old's life is a little bit silly anyways. I know my high school graduation wasn't the climax of my teenaged years. XD And since the students had to sign something stating they wouldn't do anything out of line at the ceremony, it only stands to reason that the school obviously wanted the graduation to be a prestigious occasion, and while it is a little absurd, the school has the right to hold its students accountable for their behavior, innocuous though it may seem in the long run.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:24 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]I'm sorry, but I'm going to go with the school on this one. He did more than just blow a kiss at the people on stage--he stopped, blew kisses, bowed, and pulled some sort of necklace from his track team from under his gown before continuing on stage. According to the report, he signed a document stating that they would "behave, wear proper attire, and save the celebrating until the END of the ceremony". He violated those terms, and was correctly punished for it.

The thing that strikes me as funny is that the father in the video is treating this like the son didn't graduate saying that the school board stole his dream of "graduating with pride and honor". Technically he did; he completed all course requirements laid down by his state. The graduation ceremony is just that, a ceremony. If there was any "pride and honor" lost it was done so by the son's hands.

Bottom line, he didn't follow the rules that was laid down and that he signed off on.

Something like that happened at my graduation in 2003. The principal made a point to tell us exactly what we were supposed to do upon crossing the stage. We were supposed to walk up the stairs, take our diploma, shake hands, pause for a picture, then walk offstage. Nothing more, nothing less. She also said that any deviations would result in not receiving your diploma. Graduation day came around, a student climbed up the stairs, lifted both hands and waved to the crowd. When he reached the principal to get his diploma, all he got was his handshake and was lead off the stage. He got his diploma after the ceremony.[/color][/SIZE][/font]

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I hope that kid and his family takes the school to court or something because there is no reason for that.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]They would have no case. He signed an agreement specifying no celebrations until after the ceremony. [/color][/SIZE][/font]

What the school did is clearly stupid and unfair.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]I understand where you're coming from but think of it this way: what about the kids behind him who were waiting to go on stage to get their diploma, but couldn't because of the commotion he caused? [/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:57 pm

Well, at the time of that post, I did not know that the school gave him his diploma at a later date. The article was misleading. Sounds like there really is no story here-- the whole thing is based on a misunderstanding.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Makachop^^128 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Peanut (post: 1320715) wrote:This is just ridiculous...

I mean really...was that disruptive?

wow that one messed up I feel bad for the high school student
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Ok I see now. If he still gets his diploma and that he signed a legal document, then the school is in the right.
ADXC

Postby Anystazya » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:17 am

Hm...I agree with what a bunch of you have said. He did sign the document, and he did more than just blow a kiss. I don't get why they'd have them sign a document, but hey, I live in a small town, where you wear your gowns and suits during the actual ceremony, not just the party afterwords(actually, a lot of people change into slightly more casual-wear during the party). If somebody did something like this, it would probably be laughed at(not in a harsh way, but in a joking way. Again, it's a tiny town(there's less people in our school than there were graduating at this one). So I sorta understand why the school did what they did.

I think it's silly that the whole thing has been blown up into this huge issue. That would only be more hurtful to the guy. It seemed bad enough that there were that many people there to see it, but to have it become this sort of news story? I'd be embarrassed by that.
[color="Plum"]Do not let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good. - Job 40:2 NLT[/color]

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] [color="Purple"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]

[color="DarkOrchid"]~Anystazya~[/color]
Anystazya

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:06 pm

WELL, WE don't even get our real diplomas at grad- the gov't mails them to us. At grad we just get pieces of fancy paper as a formality.
I mean, our diploma exams are marked by the panel, so the school doesn't even know if we graduate or whatever until AFTER grad anyway.

I could totally stir stuff up 8)
Baha.

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby animechica » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:36 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1321179) wrote:WELL, WE don't even get our real diplomas at grad- the gov't mails them to us. At grad we just get pieces of fancy paper as a formality.
I mean, our diploma exams are marked by the panel, so the school doesn't even know if we graduate or whatever until AFTER grad anyway.

I could totally stir stuff up 8)
Baha.

Haha, kind of reminds me of my school.
They held all diplomas until after the ceremony to be sure nobody acted "like a fool."
My question, though, is how any school can legally withhold a diploma for reasons other than academic. I find it to be a very controlling and disgusting threat. At my school this past year, one of my friends was forced to make a speech at graduation even though she didn't want to. It was even suggested that her grades and her BOYFRIEND'S grades would suffer if she didn't.

How I love it when the school system acts like the mafia...
animechica

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:43 pm

Sapphi (post: 1322192) wrote:My question, though, is how any school can legally withhold a diploma for reasons other than academic. I find it to be a very controlling and disgusting threat.

Simple. He signed a document that stated that he would save all celebrations for the end of the ceremony and that he would also not make any additions to the cap and gown. He violated those rules, and so the school has every right to withhold the diploma. Besides, the diploma is just a piece of paper that says you completed all required course information required for graduation. A class transcript does the exact same thing. Technically, until they put that diploma in his hands, it's still school property and they can do with it what they please.

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Nate » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:05 am

Yeah Khaki is right. A diploma is just a piece of paper, it really doesn't mean anything. *shrug* In fact, colleges don't even ask for a copy of your diploma, they ask for a copy of your transcripts, making transcripts infinitely more useful, and the school of course cannot withhold those. Diplomas are nice for framing but not much more (and besides, who's going to frame a HIGH SCHOOL diploma, seriously).

If he wanted the diploma so bad he should have followed the rules. *shrug*

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Reon » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:32 am

Stories like this create thoughts in my head like this:
1) The parent's blame the lack of them discipling their son on the school
Ex: Back in the day, one of my highschool teachers made it very clear to us at the beginning of the year and before every test, if your going on vacation you MUST take the test beforehand "NO" exceptions. A kid went on a vacation, hadn't taken the test, the kid complains, then has his parents come in and they complain even after knowing what he had been told. Roughly that same example happened way to many times in highschool. Its hilarious watching it happen in college though. During summer school highschool students often take college courses in a few of my classes. Due to the reason of parent's coming in talking for their children, they now deny talking to parents at all (obviously if the child has a handicap their parent's can talk to falculty). Its just sad that we blame others when were at fault (me being included =/).
2) The news being "the news"
3) Speeding - If I get a traffic ticket for speeding, after finishing drivers ed and knowing what happens when I speed and then complain about it - That makes me an idiot (notice how I said me and not you, if you do ;) And I've gotten a ticket before, didn't complain, just sucked.)

Bottom Line in my mind:
Follow the rules (especially when we agree to them)
We need to have accountability.
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:13 am

Reon (post: 1322248) wrote:1) The parent's blame the lack of them discipling their son on the school

ImageWIN.

:rant: You would not believe the number of comments on YouTube that are basically calling for the Superintendent to resign for being "so strict". But, and here's the clincher for me, whenever something tragic happens like a school shooting, the same people are going to ask "Where was the teachers? Where's the policy? This shouldn't have happened. There needs to be rules in place!"

I guess this is a prime example of mob mentality--one person thinks it sucks, everyone else thinks it sucks.

KhakiBlueSocks

Previous

Return to General