Tattoos

Talk about anything in here.

Tattoos

Postby nicktk1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:29 am

i know this has been a taboo for a while in christianity, as well as a big no-no. but im seriously debating whether or not getting tattoos (especially ones that glorify Christ) are/ is a sin

oh inb4 flaming!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Red"]its[/color] [color="Lime"]cuz[/color] [color="Yellow"]i[/color]
[color="Yellow"] love [/color][color="Magenta"]you[/color][color="Red"] that[/color][color="Cyan"]i[/color]
[color="Yellow"]follow[/color] [color="Lime"]you[/color]
O o
/¯________________________
| I'MA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!!! BLAAAAGH!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
nicktk1

Postby Robin Firedrake » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:41 am

I don't think so. I know one guy who had a cross with a Latin word for something in the bible (Can't remember what) tattooed on him. Whenever anyone asked what the word was, he would tell them and then continue to tell them about God.
Robin Firedrake

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:44 am

It depends on what the tattoo is and what it means, etc. Some are tasteful and others aren't. Do a search for other threads about this because there have been plenty of good answers to this question.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby nicktk1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:46 am

i was just looking for opinions ^_^
i like to see what people think (i think thats why im a psyc major)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Yellow"] love [/color][color="Magenta"]you[/color][color="Red"] that[/color][color="Cyan"]i[/color]
O o
nicktk1

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:53 am

Psychology major? Pretty cool. Me too. Any concentration you want to further go into?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby chibiphonebooth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:26 am

dude, i'm planning on getting like.. 3 tattoos. XD
without getting into a bunch of theology and stuff, i really don't believe getting tattoos that glorify God are sins. I think it boils down to the conviction between you and God.
you should read this: http://www.sacredink.net/tattoo_and_the_bible/
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 am

nicktk1 (post: 1301297) wrote:oh inb4 flaming!

Did you make this thread with the intent of causing an argument? If so, I'll advise that you read our rules--they're very clear about both flaming and starting up debates. That said, if this does turn into a debate thread, know that it will be locked without question.

With that out of the way, my opinion about tattoos is something to the effect of "there's nothing wrong with them, but I hate needles and would never ever get one." XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby nicktk1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:54 am

First. im planning to become a school psychiatrist
second. i know its not a sin i just wanted opnions
third.no intention of an argument, just wanted opnions and didnt want people to be all like "ROR YOUR GOING TO HELL!!!!!1111one one !!"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
O o
nicktk1

Postby Cap'n Nick » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:18 am

There were more than a few dudes at my old seminary with Hebrew scripture tattoos. It's the theology major version of 90's kanji.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Shiningmonk_e » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:48 pm

I don't see anything wrong with tatoos but my dad is HUGELY against them. As long as they are well thought out and meaningful I think they are fine.

As a friend said: "If the body is the Lord's temple, why not decorate?"
"Who is this?" they said to Me
'That the wind and waves obey
Come, let's hang Him on a tree
That His reign should pass away'
But here I am I say to you
Though you turn away, it is My will
To love you for forevermore
Peace be still, peace be still
-Showbread-the Sky(alpha)
Shiningmonk_e

Postby PrincessZelda » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Cap'n Nick (post: 1301345) wrote:There were more than a few dudes at my old seminary with Hebrew scripture tattoos. It's the theology major version of 90's kanji.

I know 3 bible college students with Hebrew tattoos XD
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:13 pm

I've actually considered getting a tattoo, but decided it's something that attracts too much attention, hence I wont get one.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby PrincessZelda » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:16 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of the same way. I want to get one, but I don't want to have one that's somewhere that people can see it all the time.

But then, if it's somewhere that's usually covered, what's the point?
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:48 pm

I personally don't want one for three reasons:

1. Too expensive
2. Can be difficult to cover up
3. I HATE NEEDLES

But I don't have much of a problem with other people having them as long as they're in good taste.

Yeah, I'm kind of the same way. I want to get one, but I don't want to have one that's somewhere that people can see it all the time.

But then, if it's somewhere that's usually covered, what's the point?

I feel the same way!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm going to get a tattoo over my entire body of me, but taller.
Fish and Chips

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:26 pm

I've always wanted one or two but like someone else said, they attract too much attention. I think if I got married though, I wouldn't mind getting one of those bar code tattoos with the date on my wrist or something. I can't think of anything to put there... but it's gotta be something I really like...

My brother has 3 tats... and if I were him, I think I'd regret in about 10 years... he likes the punisher so he has two punisher skulls (one on the Boondock Saints Cross and the second is inlaid with some gun and then the third is just a gun... sure he thinks it's cool now but seriously those are gonna look real stupid and give the wrong impression when he's older... but whatever.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Wind » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:26 pm

I am an artist, so I am probably gonna get alot of tattooes and I will design them myself I am probably gonna get my back covered as well as my upper arms I have been planning this for years but not everyone should or could go to this extreme but I like art and I am willing to advertise to the fact of it all. and both my sisters have tattooes too my older sister has four very tasteful ones. and my little sister has one so I think as long as the meanings mean something to you and are special and yeah I am of the total opinion that if you are a christian that your tattooes should glorify God after some fashion. I am a heavy christian and I grew up in a totally hippie church and alot of people have tattooes so I don't think it's just a biker thing anymore. The greatest christian guy I ever knew had four great tattooes from his former hell's angels days but even then his tattooes glorified God too. My ex bf who I am still friends with wants my art, alot of my christian friends have bought tattoo designs from me, so all I can say is put some steadfast prayer into this situation like I have and if the lord wants you to have tattooes and you can afford them, go and get them but put alot of thought and prayer into it first

sorry for such the long post

but this is totally one of my passions lol

just to show you guys an example of my art I used MS paint to design this

F.K.A. JadeFox, HisuiKitsune
Quote= MrRogers 03:32 - politics have nothing to do with good pizza

chatbot 02:56 - Wind asks, did I kill the chat
My answer: Yes

chatbot 01:55 - Wind asks, is diamonddragon shatterproof??
My answer: Yes

Wind 01:55 - O.O

Wind 01:55 - noooooooo

chatbot 01:55 - Wind asks, Am I shatterproof?
My answer: No

DiamondDragon 01:57 - YAYS, I'M SHATTERPROOF!!!!!!!!

Sparx00 02:55 - Mean loaf is the loaf of the gods

Strafe 01:09 - I'm a hotcake
Strafe 01:10 - I am a very hot cake

rocklobster 01:17 - "What's the point of being an adult if you can't be childish sometimes?"

Strafe 02:38 - ~EWWW BOYS ARE NASTYYYY!~
Wind

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1301337) wrote:Did you make this thread with the intent of causing an argument? If so, I'll advise that you read our rules--they're very clear about both flaming and starting up debates. That said, if this does turn into a debate thread, know that it will be locked without question.

With that out of the way, my opinion about tattoos is something to the effect of "there's nothing wrong with them, but I hate needles and would never ever get one." XD

I wants one. My lady says she'll disown me if I get one. *sniffles*

Of course, every time I hear a friend brag about how much theirs cost I just think "Man, I could buy an HDTV with that money," or, "Man, I could buy a PS3 with that money," or, "Man I could build a new gaming computer with that money."
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby goldenspines » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:02 pm

Random note: My youth leader once told me I would make a good tattoo artist. o.O

Granted, there are reasons not to get a tattoo that aren't biblical. Like, they get all stretched out and weird when you grow older.
They cost how much it would be to feed a homeless and starving, little kid or two for a month.
And needles are terrible things.

But those are my reasons; other people getting tattoos are fine by me.
Tattoos aren't "against" God unless they separate you from Him. Which, judging from most Christians that I've seen get tattoos, it does almost the opposite.
goldenspines

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 am

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1301391)"]Random note: My youth leader once told me I would make a good tattoo artist. o.O

Granted, there are reasons not to get a tattoo that aren't biblical. Like, they get all stretched out and weird when you grow older.
They cost how much it would be to feed a homeless and starving, little kid or two for a month.
And needles are terrible things.

But those are my reasons]

i can see how you can say some of those things, but you can also use that mentality with a lot of other stuff.

when you get old, EVERYTHING stretches out and looks weird. XD
and yah, the homeless thing is true, but you can say that about manicures, pedicures, not drinking coffee for a month, not buying those nice shoes, etc etc. for example, did you know for Valentine's Day this year, we americans spent almost $15 Billion? Last year, Americans spent $18 Billion on Valentine's Day gifts? XD thats crazy mannn!
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:49 am

There's nothing inherently sinful about tattoos. I think most people don't like them is because they're permanent. Pray that your tattoo artist doesn't screw up :\

Just consider all the consequences first. At least, seeing as how you're a male person, whether or not it clashes with an outfit probably isn't too big a concern :P
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Benn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:46 am

dunno about the spiritual stance on tattoos

but...

if you ever want to go to a public bath house in japan don't get one. tattoos are still associated with the Yakuza and bad people so many don't let people with tattoos in.
Benn

Postby goldenspines » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:41 am

chibiphonebooth (post: 1301509) wrote:i can see how you can say some of those things, but you can also use that mentality with a lot of other stuff.

when you get old, EVERYTHING stretches out and looks weird. XD
and yah, the homeless thing is true, but you can say that about manicures, pedicures, not drinking coffee for a month, not buying those nice shoes, etc etc. for example, did you know for Valentine's Day this year, we americans spent almost $15 Billion? Last year, Americans spent $18 Billion on Valentine's Day gifts? XD thats crazy mannn!

You speak truth! I didn't say that other people getting tattoos was bad or they should feel guilty about it, I just gave my reasons because I'd rather spend money elsewhere. XD;
And yeah, Valentine's day spending is insaaaane. D:
goldenspines

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:48 pm

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1301609)"]You speak truth! I didn't say that other people getting tattoos was bad or they should feel guilty about it, I just gave my reasons because I'd rather spend money elsewhere. XD]

no i understand, i was just stating that. XD

yah, there's this website, luxuryfund, and it has all these crazy statistics that make you weep for humanity. :[
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby Nate » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:59 pm

Benn wrote:if you ever want to go to a public bath house in japan don't get one. tattoos are still associated with the Yakuza and bad people so many don't let people with tattoos in.

Uh...

The Yakuza is like the Japanese mafia. Japan is fairly xenophobic. I don't think any bath house would honestly believe a white American would be a member of the Yakuza simply because they have tattoos. The Yakuza wouldn't let white Americans into it.

If you're Japanese however then it's a different story, but I'm fairly sure the OP is not a native Japanese citizen.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Benn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:02 pm

Nate (post: 1301761) wrote:Uh...

The Yakuza is like the Japanese mafia. Japan is fairly xenophobic. I don't think any bath house would honestly believe a white American would be a member of the Yakuza simply because they have tattoos. The Yakuza wouldn't let white Americans into it.

If you're Japanese however then it's a different story, but I'm fairly sure the OP is not a native Japanese citizen.

It's cross-cultural... most travel guides to Japan will warn about it as well as there's articles on the web about it. Here's one about US soldiers having to cover up their tattoos even to visit a waterpark in Japan http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=56103
Benn

Postby Nate » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:09 am

Ah okay. I misunderstood. I thought you meant, "If they see a tattoo they'll think you're a member of the Yakuza." But really it was just, tattoos are associated with criminal elements. Kinda like how swastikas are a Buddhist symbol of peace, but if you wore one people would associate it with Nazis. I understand what you meant now. XD

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 am

nicktk1 (post: 1301342) wrote:First. im planning to become a school psychiatrist

Oooo. What classes have you taken so far?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Noblewreck » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:10 pm

Friends, the way I see it, Tattoos are mortal graffiti on a Divine work of art. Do you want someone putting graffiti on your artwork? And with permanent ink at that.

Does not look classy. From a distance it looks like a blemish or dirt on ya.

(temporary tattoos are okay, I think).
Noblewreck

Postby KagayakiWashi » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:32 pm

If I got any tattoos, I'd so get the TRIFORCE on my hand. YEAH I'm THAT GEEKY.
Second option would be to put my favorite motifs from Wagner's "Der Ring Des Niebelungen" on my back.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Next

Return to General