RIP Circuit City: 1949-2008

Talk about anything in here.

RIP Circuit City: 1949-2008

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:50 pm

Well, Circuit City's gone:
http://www.circuitcity.com/

And just as well, because everything there was significantly more expensive than Best Buy. I'm slightly sad that when about half of the stores were closing just 2 months ago, the store I go to said "we're not closed, we'll be here a long time". I guess Circuit City closed because THEY DIDN'T SELL ANIME! (PS: Fry's and Best Buy sell anime! Circuit City didn't!)
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:07 pm

I figured this was on its way. XD Best Buy does good business; I'm glad they put Circuit City out.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:28 pm

ilikegir33 wrote:I guess Circuit City closed because THEY DIDN'T SELL ANIME! (PS: Fry's and Best Buy sell anime! Circuit City didn't!)

Don't count on it. Best Buy is going to start to reduce its anime volume soon.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:52 am

Circuit City closed because there just isn't enough room in today's market for so many electronics/media retailers. We already have Best Buy, Walmart, Target, online stores, and other regional stores.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Smile:) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:42 am

There isn't a Circuit City with in 3 hours of where I live, so I'm not upset! ^^
[color="Lime"]I[/color] [color="Lime"]You People![/color]
Smile:)

Location: In wonderland having tea with the Mad Hatter, and the March Hare. It's our unbirthdays!

Postby ADXC » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:25 am

Yeah Im glad they are closing. Really the store in my city looks gheto and they had a horrible sellection. And as ilikegir said, they don't sell anime. So really there was NO reason for me to go there.

Even though BB may decrease it's anime selection, at least they sell anime at all. No other store really sells anime. FYE did, but not only did it have a crappy selection, they also overpriced the anime. A dvd you could get at BB for $20, you'd pay $30 at FYE.
ADXC

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:38 am

I enjoy how casually we're all taking the demise of a long standing household company and several thousand of its now out of work employees and their families.

Good times.
Fish and Chips

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:56 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1282287) wrote:I enjoy how casually we're all taking the demise of a long standing household company and several thousand of its now out of work employees and their families.

Good times.

Wait, several thousand former employees and their families just died? I guess Circuit City was more important than I thought. For the record, I have liked Circuit City more than Best Buy ever since my friends and I spent several thousand dollars cleaning out their electronics section one fateful Black Friday.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:37 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1282287) wrote:I enjoy how casually we're all taking the demise of a long standing household company and several thousand of its now out of work employees and their families.

Good times.

If only the markets had been so sentimental.

It happens. My dad's parents worked at a plant for years till it closed down. Then they went and found other work. That's the nature of the beast called capitalism; businesses and fortunes are made and lossed based on the deciding factors of the market.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:47 am

Yeah but Circuit City treated its employees like crap. Look it up, they were guilty of a lot of things, including unfair arbitration agreements (taken to court for and lost), as well as labor law violations (taken to court for and lost), and is also currently being sued for firing employees who earned higher wages.

Anyway Circuit City sucked pretty bad. Also, don't bother going to them for liquidation deals, the liquidator that ran the notoriously awful CompUSA liquidation (they actually raised prices) is conducting the liquidation of 155 Circuit City stores.
Yeah, I currently work at circuit city and we're liquidating. A 9.99 ipod case is now 19.99, we all had a good laugh. Open box laptops went up $60 too.

Yup. I wanted a Lumix DMC-TZ5 and it was $345 at the liquidation price. MSRP is $329.99, newegg has it for $225.. with a free 4GB high speed SD card.

So don't fall into the trap of thinking Circuit City will have good bargains. They'll put up a sign that says "15% off!" but actually mark up the price, and most people won't bother to check.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Technomancer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:00 am

Fortunately, the Circuit City outlets here in Canada are not closing (at least not yet), and are run separately from the American chain. The local Circuit Cities (formerly Radio Shack) aren't great, but right now are the only places I know in the local area where I can buy/order electronic components.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Shiningmonk_e » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:07 am

Hmm...My youth leader worked there. I always liked Circuit City more than Best Buy too. On the good side, there will probably be some wicked sales.
Shiningmonk_e

Postby ilikegir33 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:21 am

Nate (post: 1282296) wrote:Anyway Circuit City sucked pretty bad. Also, don't bother going to them for liquidation deals, the liquidator that ran the notoriously awful CompUSA liquidation (they actually raised prices) is conducting the liquidation of 155 Circuit City stores.

My parents went to one of the liquidation sales and said, "The Wii games are now $59.99!" Enough said. :mutter: By the way, Circuit City always had astronomical prices. For instance, a Blu-ray Disc player was like $499 instead of $399 like it was at Best Buy. And don't get me started on HDTVs.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Ikimaru_Tarimi » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:41 am

I wonder who's next......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
God loves you

:dance:MOES:dance:
Ikimaru_Tarimi

Postby Whitefang » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:22 pm

This is bad news...as more retail stores go out of business, state governments will be seeking their "fair share" of the sales tax for online sales.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby RandomBurrito » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:37 pm

I don't think I've been to Circuit City (if I have it was probably once a loooong time ago), so I'm not sure how it is. Poor economy.
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby ADXC » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:52 pm

@ Fish- That's a cheap shot, I meant the stores, not it's employees. I hope that the employees do find another place at which to work.
ADXC

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:00 pm

Shiningmonk_e wrote:On the good side, there will probably be some wicked sales.

Nice to know you read the entire thread before posting.

In light of that, yes, I'm sure (snicker) that there will be some really GREAT sales! (tee hee) You should go right now, I hear that (heh heh) some stuff will be up to 25% off! Much (pffft) cheaper than normal! (seriously nobody tell him you guys)

Nate

Postby RFC » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1282272) wrote:Circuit City closed because there just isn't enough room in today's market for so many electronics/media retailers. We already have Best Buy, Walmart, Target, online stores, and other regional stores.

That's truth. Even the Safeway near where I live is enlarging its electronic section.
Which is kinda sad seeing as it's supposed to be a grocery store.. :forehead:
[color="Plum"]Jesus Freak Forever!![/color]
Proud creator of the Fakir Girls! (To visit our forum: click on the banner)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] [color="Plum"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators[/color]
"MOES:You gotta know when to hold it, know when you've scrolled it."
[color="PaleGreen"]Con List: Anime L.A. 2008, Saboten Con 2009, Con-Nichiwa 2010[/color]
RFC

Postby Ikimaru_Tarimi » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:06 pm

The last days are near
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
God loves you

:dance:MOES:dance:
Ikimaru_Tarimi

Postby Icarus » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:17 pm

Well, this clears the way for the new Denny's we seem to need. A La Quinta is going up right next to it.

Otherwise, one less store I didn't go to.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:27 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Here's the weirdest thing: about 7 months ago, they built a Circuit City as part of a new Mall Development! I went there when it first opened! This is so freaky...

Circuit City's prices were always way too high for my tastes, and their customer service was terrible. I remember standing in the computer section waiting for someone to come and assist me, and nobody came--even though their was a group of workers standing around talking!

That being said, I still hope the employees and their families are going to be alright.

And yet another empty parking lot goes empty except for Teenagers learning how to drive and the homeless.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:28 pm

Ikimaru_Tarimi wrote:The last days are near

The last days already happened, that's why they're closing their stores. They already tried filing for bankruptcy and it didn't work, which is why they're in this position. So yeah, the last days are already over.

Nate

Postby m12specops » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:35 pm

well at least they're still in Canada...
m12specops

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:07 am

Nate wrote:The last days already happened, that's why they're closing their stores. They already tried filing for bankruptcy and it didn't work, which is why they're in this position. So yeah, the last days are already over.

I love you Nate.
Stephen

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:39 pm

If Best Buy does decrease its anime, there's always the online sites. Go Right Stuf!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 pm

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1282531) wrote:
[size=84]Circuit City's prices were always way too high for my tastes, and their customer service was terrible. I remember standing in the computer section waiting for someone to come and assist me, and nobody came--even though their was a group of workers standing around talking!

[/SIZE]

I Agree with this and would like to add that their stores were always rather unpleasant to shop in, in my experience, and featured terrible lighting and awkward design regularly, making products difficult to find.

I'm not surprised that they collapsed when they have such strong competitors who are known for service and accessibility.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Song_of_Storms » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:39 pm

[SIZE="1"]Regardless of whether they were a worthy store or not, it is upsetting to hear of anything going under.

What's with all the "They didn't sell anime! They deserved to go under!" ?
There's more movie entertainment then just Japanese Cartoons, people. [/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:31 pm

rocklobster wrote:If Best Buy does decrease its anime, there's always the online sites. Go Right Stuf!

Yeah, but that doesn't help the DVD distribution of anime. Since Best Buy deal, it has caused Media Blaster to delay the DVD distribution of Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.

It now they are now selling a 10 ep set of Moribito at Wal-Mart in hope that Best Buy and other stores will want to sell the dvds.

So, just think that because Best Buy decrease there anime is not going to hurt anyone, and you can still buy it online. Its still going to hurt the DVD distribution and also may mean less anime on TV.

OT:

Long lines, few bargains as Circuit City fire sale begins

[quote="Yahoo"]Bargain hunters descended like vultures upon shuttering Circuit City stores over the weekend, but from what I'm hearing, true bargains are hard to come by. Also: Don't worry, your extended warranty is still good.
The Circuit City liquidation sales began in earnest Sunday, just a couple days after the bankrupt retail chain announced it's throwing in the towel after 60 years of business. (Based on the 600-plus comments on my Circuit City post Friday, many disgruntled shoppers are more than happy to see the chain go under.)

Reports from the various shopping fronts detail long lines at the more than 500 remaining Circuit City stores over the weekend, with CNET News.com witnessing "pandemonium" at a southern California stores ("consumers swarming everywhere …]

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Return to General