The (un)official CAA quote thread.

Talk about anything in here.

The (un)official CAA quote thread.

Postby Sparrowhawk » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:37 pm

I love quotes. Some quotes describe me, some quotes describe what I believe, some quotes make me laugh, some quotes have insight. Lots of things to like about quotes.

So I thought why not make a thread? You can list all of your favorite quotes at once, list them as you come across them, or just every now and then drop off a quote you like.

I plan to do the last proposal, though if the thread starts dying for a finale I may choose all 100+ I have gathered together so far on my facebook =)

To open things up, one that makes me laugh and describes me, first said by my good 2D friend Charlie Brown:

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"/ Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
- Charles M. Schulz
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby GeneD » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:04 am

My favourite quotes usually end up in my sig. At the moment it is "We must go out and ninja in the night" from a random YouTube video. XD

I tend to like quotes that make me laugh more than anything else.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby That Dude » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:53 am

Goya - The sleep of reason produces monsters.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Shadowfax » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:55 am

Yay, another quotes lover! ^ ^

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
-- Bill Cosby

If it's sent by ship then it's a cargo, if it's sent by road then it's a shipment.
-- Dave Allen

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
-- Douglas Adams

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
-- Somerset Maugham

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
-- Unknown

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.
-- Unknown
[SIZE="1"]"This is only the beginning."[/SIZE]
Shadowfax

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:53 am

"Everyone's at least a little insane."

-Azier the Swordsman
Azier the Swordsman

Postby ich1990 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:23 am

G.K. Chesterton is perhaps the most quotable man in history. Here is a link to some of his best. http://chesterton.org/acs/quotes.htm

My favorites:

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered."

"He is a [sane] man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head."

"We have had no good comic operas of late, because the real world has been more comic than any possible opera."

"Reason is always a kind of brute force; those who appeal to the head rather than the heart, however pallid and polite, are necessarily men of violence. We speak of 'touching' a man's heart, but we can do nothing to his head but hit it."

"If there were no God, there would be no atheists."

"It is terrible to contemplete how few politicians are hanged."

The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected."

"By a curious confusion, many modern critics have passed from the proposition that a masterpiece may be unpopular to the other proposition that unless it is unpopular it cannot be a masterpiece."

[sarcasm]"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like." [/sarcasm]

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."

"All science, even the divine science, is a sublime detective story. Only it is not set to detect why a man is dead; but the darker secret of why he is alive."

"Marriage is a duel to the death which no man of honour should decline."

"I have little doubt that when St. George had killed the dragon he was heartily afraid of the princess."

"How quickly revolutions grow old; and, worse still, respectable."

"When giving treats to friends or children, give them what they like, emphatically not what is good for them."

etc.

Not bad for a guy who lived a 100 years ago.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:07 pm

I'm gonna sound dumb, but do you mean quotes as in quotes made by other CAAers or any kinda of quotes. Or, both XD?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby minakichan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:10 pm

I love quotes, and I love picking them apart and telling WHY THEY ARE RONG. But a few that I like (definitely not the best, but I'm going through a mental fart ATM) off the top of my head:

"Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life." -Oscar Wilde

"Monogamy is impossible, but anything else is worse." -François Truffaut

In other news, does anyone know that one quote that says something about Christians being the biggest obstacle for Christianity, or something? I've been looking for it EVERYWHERE.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Lil_Ninja » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:14 pm

For now, I shall give two quotes from an awesome show
~~

"But Invader blood marches through my veins, like GIANT RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS! The pants COMMAND me! DO NOT IGNORE MY VEINS!!!!" - Invader Zim

"One day, you'll be sitting in your house feeling all safe and secure, and then you'll look over and I'LL be there! DOIN' stuff!" -Dib

"It was MEE! I was in the turkey ALL ALONG!" - GIR
[SIZE="5"][color="Blue"]~[/color][color="Lime"]K[/color][color="Blue"]Y[/color][color="Lime"]L[/color][color="blue"]L[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]H[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]N[/color][color="blue"]~[/color][/SIZE]
[color="cyan"][SIZE="5"]42[/SIZE][/color]
[color="royalBlue"][SIZE="1"]The meaning of life,
the universe,
and everything.[/SIZE][/color]
Lil_Ninja

Postby That Dude » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:18 pm

A man is like steel, when it loses it's temper it loses it's worth. - Chuck Norris.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Akikaze » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:39 pm

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
~ C.S. Lewis~

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere."
~ Albert Einstein ~

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." ~ Mark Twain ~

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
~Mark Twain~

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." ~ Mark Twain~

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do.” ~Helen Keller~

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city in the world. ~ Steve McQueen~

Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.
~ Robert F. Kennedy~

It's been a long, hard day, full of emotional turmoil and dinosaur fights. ~Wilbur in the movie Meet the Robinsons~

Sweet! I have a convert. Excellent. The kool-aid is working perfectly.
~ Vic Mignogna~

"Yeah, 'cause only a stoned deer would steal pickles." ~ My Dad~ Don't ask >.>

I'll speak slow, so those of you with Ph.D.'s in the room can understand. ~Doug Carlin in the movie Deja Vu~

I'll post more later.

Lil_Ninja (post: 1266644) wrote:"But Invader blood marches through my veins, like GIANT RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS! The pants COMMAND me! DO NOT IGNORE MY VEINS!!!!" - Invader Zim

I love this quote. Invader Zim is awesome! :thumb:
"For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson
Akikaze

Postby ich1990 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:19 pm

More Chesterton:

"I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean."

"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."

"The men who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."
ich1990

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:42 pm

“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.”
“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”

-- Chuck Palahniuk

"Die young and save yourself"
"And tell them that I realize that everyone who lives will someday die and die alone"
"I am heaven sent, don't you dare forget."

-- Jesse Lacey (Brand New)

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:08 pm

minakichan (post: 1266643) wrote:In other news, does anyone know that one quote that says something about Christians being the biggest obstacle for Christianity, or something? I've been looking for it EVERYWHERE.

There are quite a few of these. Here's a sampling:

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." -Mahatma Gandhi

"If it weren't for Christians, I'd be a Christian." -- Mahatma Ghandi

"Organized Christianity has probably done more to retard the ideals that were its founder's than any other agency in the world." - Richard Le Gallienne

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." --Thomas Jefferson

This rather convicting list could go on for quite some time. Anyhow, a quote I rather enjoy:

“I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.â€
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ich1990 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:16 pm

[quote="Cognitive Gear (post: 1266706)"]
“]

"Education is the period during which you are being instructed by somebody you do not know, about something you do not want to know."

"No man who worships education has got the best out of education... Without a gentle contempt for education no man's education is complete."

"The purpose of Compulsory Education is to deprive the common people of their commonsense."

"Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously."

-- all by G.K. Chesterton

Did you know that Neil Gaiman is a long time and vocal supporter of G.K. Chesterton?
ich1990

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:03 pm

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

-H.P. Lovecraft

"Just be thankful for what you got."

-William DeVaughn
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:42 pm

Here's two that I really like that I've found:

"For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."

- Jean Debuffet

"Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand."

-Mark Twain
WrestlingOtaku

Postby ssj2gohan61 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:31 pm

Confucius has some really good quotes atleast i like them :] please note that i listed how they can relate to me or others before putting the quote i hope its alright with you all.

this has to be one of my favorite ones considering just starting out a job...

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. "

another one related to life..the way i see it. a simple argument can result in loss of a friend

"When anger rises, think of the consequences."

This one is such a good quote for everyday life as well.

"The superior man...does not set his mind either for anything, or against anything; what is right he will follow."

this one really speaks to me.. as in almost saying if you know youre doing something wrong. stop doing it

"When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them."

I love this one it really makes me think of all the know it alls.. the ones that act like they know everything, with out realizing they dont know what they are talking about.

"When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge."

I dont know much if anything about Confucius but i like his writings..was he a mellow minded man?

"With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud."

If only so many people would think like this...

"The superior man acts before he speaks, and afterwards speaks according to his actions."

Mistakes are mistakes... move on with your life without dwelling on them. is what i think of this.

"Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes."

This speaks to me in everything from life to work to sports

"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."

This one helps me out from time to time.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."

So true in todays world...why else would we have history class? lol

"Study the past if you would define the future."

This one can especially relate to other enlisted/seperated military members like myself and everyone else in life. (imagine yourself deployed)

"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved."

well thats enough Confucius quotes before i start putting them all on here lol.

and another quote from a different message board i frequent now. if this is too rude or anything in anyway please feel free to remove it or let me know and i will gladly remove it.

"Ignorance is curable with education; Stupidity is forever"
Love is that feeling you get when a girl looks at you and it feels like your driving a car at high speeds and experience a sudden drop. You know what i mean? That sudden sinking feeling you get in your stomach? Yeah, that's love. Leave's you speechless everytime.
ssj2gohan61

Postby Robin Firedrake » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:03 am

Check my sig. I really like that first one, disproving evolution FTW!
Robin Firedrake

Postby AJV » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:24 pm

"Do or do not,there is no try"- Yoda
That's one of my favorites
"Believe It!"- Naruto :lol:

Most of them would probably be from Star Wars and other things.
Though some of the quotes I've seen other sigs here are pretty cool, like the ones from FMA and stuff.

"May the Force be with you...always."- Obi-wan
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Postby Sparrowhawk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:24 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1266622) wrote:I'm gonna sound dumb, but do you mean quotes as in quotes made by other CAAers or any kinda of quotes. Or, both XD?

Not a dumb question. Answer: Both

I decided to go with some Winston Churchill today.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
-Winston Churchill

"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb."
-Winston Churchill

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required."
-Winston Churchill

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
-Winston Churchill

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half."
-Winston Churchill

"Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."
-Winston Churchill

Oh, and I love Chesterson (sp)? I won't bother making a post on many of his tho - he has so many good ones i would never get anything else done!
Final Fantasy 7

Postby rocklobster » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:13 pm

MOst of my faves are in my signature. But here are some others I've always liked:
"Your ticket to the future is always open."--Vash the Stampede in Trigun
"Thith ith the last time I work with thomeone with a thpeech impediment!"--Daffy Duck in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
"Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"--Clarence in It's a Wonderful Life
"I don't worry about the future. It comes soon enough"--Albert Einstein
"All the world's a stage, and the people merely players. They have their entrances and exits, and in life, one person plays several roles."--William Shakespeare
"Lord, what fools these mortals be."--William Shakespeare
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sparrowhawk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:33 am

When people tell me that we should spend all of our time with kids only using dry boring education, that we should not fill their head with stories of the fantastic like Narnia, or Middle Earth, I say this.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
-Gilbert Chesterton

Some people "grow up" and are too good for fairy tales. But if you ever mature past this stage, you may find you like them again. For a fairy tell, a good one anyway, is only a fun way of expressing a very real truth.
Final Fantasy 7

Postby Aletheia » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:54 pm

Sparrowhawk (post: 1267345) wrote:"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
-Gilbert Chesterton

Whoa, that is an awesome quote. :thumb:

I probably have about a million favorite quotes, but in the interest of saving time, I'm just going to post a couple from my Facebook.

"'In one thing you have not changed, dear friend,' said Aragorn: 'you still speak in riddles.'
'What? In riddles?' said Gandalf. 'No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to]The Two Towers[/I]

"...when pain is to be borne, a little courage helps more than much knowledge, a little human sympathy more than much courage, and the least tincture of the love of God more than all." - C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

"It is for people whom we care nothing about that we wish for happiness on any terms: with our friends, our lovers, our children, we are exacting and would rather see them suffer much than be happy in contemptible and estranging modes. If God is Love, He is, by definition, something more than mere kindness. And it appears, from all the records, that though He has often rebuked us and condemned us, He has never regarded us with contempt. He has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense." - C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

"One can imagine a sentient picture, after being rubbed and scraped and recommenced for the tenth time, wishing that it were only a thumbnail sketch whose making was over in a minute. In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less." - C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

"Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature." - I Corinthians 14:20, NASB

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Aletheia

Postby Sparrowhawk » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:17 pm

Aletheia (post: 1267547) wrote:"...when pain is to be borne, a little courage helps more than much knowledge, a little human sympathy more than much courage, and the least tincture of the love of God more than all." - C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

"It is for people whom we care nothing about that we wish for happiness on any terms: with our friends, our lovers, our children, we are exacting and would rather see them suffer much than be happy in contemptible and estranging modes. If God is Love, He is, by definition, something more than mere kindness. And it appears, from all the records, that though He has often rebuked us and condemned us, He has never regarded us with contempt. He has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense." - C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

"One can imagine a sentient picture, after being rubbed and scraped and recommenced for the tenth time, wishing that it were only a thumbnail sketch whose making was over in a minute. In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny]The Problem of Pain[/I]

Great C.S. Lewis quotes from a great book. here are a few of my own.

"If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair."
-C.S. Lewis

"The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed."
-C.S. Lewis from The Magician's Nephew

"Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say 'infinitely' when you mean 'very'; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite."
-C.S. Lewis

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil."
-C.S. Lewis

Of course this is nowhere near all the C.S. Lewis quotes I like, but they are some good ones.
Final Fantasy 7

Postby ich1990 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:56 am

minakichan (post: 1266643) wrote:"Monogamy is impossible, but anything else is worse." -François Truffaut

In mildly similar theme:

“]
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt[/QUOTE]

I like this one.
ich1990

Postby soul alive » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:15 pm

Some of my favorite quotes are from Mark Twain:

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

"It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them."

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest."

"The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter, they are an entire banquet."

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."

And one of my other favorite quotes is by Corrie ten Boom:

"When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer."

And because it was one of the funniest things I've heard come out of a person's mouth by accident:

"Boys can't have babies. I found that out the hard way. ... And I have no idea why I just said that." (paraphrase) - Charlie Hall
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:16 pm

Bear in mind that brains and learning, like muscle and physical skill, are articles of commerce. They are bought and sold. You can hire them by the year or by the hour. The only thing in the world not for sale is character.
-- Justice Antonin Scalia

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
-- Thomas A. Edison

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.
-- Abraham Lincoln.

He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear. In fact, I just saw his grades and he doesn't know the meaning of a lot of words.
-- Bobby Bowden, Florida State footballer, on player Reggie Herring

I have great faith in fools--self-confidence my friends call it.
-- Edgar Allan Poe

Please provide the date of your death.
-- from an IRS letter

It's a fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of IQ for every year.
-- Truman Capote

There are only two things that are infinite: the universe and stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.
-- Plato

Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.
-- Lord Byron

To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-- Theodore Roosevelt

We have enough Youth, how about a fountain of Smart?
-- Unknown

John Wanamaker, one of the country’s greatest merchants, said: “I have of course made large purchases of property in my lifetime … and the buildings and grounds in which we are now meeting represent a value of approximately twenty billion dollars.
“But it was as a boy in the country, at eleven years of age, that I made my biggest purchase. In a little mission Sunday school, I bought from my teacher a small, red, leather Bible. The Bible cost me $2.75—which I paid in small installments as I saved. That was my greatest purchase, for that Bible made me what I am today.”
Tan, P. L. (1996, c1979). Encyclopedia of 7700 illustrations : A treasury of illustrations, anecdotes, facts and quotations for pastors, teachers and Christian workers. Garland TX: Bible Communications.

"Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VIII, "Speech to One Hundred Fortieth Indiana Regiment" (March 17, 1865), p. 361.

"The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just; it shall not deter me." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume I, "Speech on the Sub-Treasury" (in the Illinois House of Representatives, December 26, 1839), p. 178.

"Leave nothing for tomorrow which can be done today." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, "Notes for a Law Lecture" (July 1, 1850?), p. 81.

"In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Reply to Loyal Colored People of Baltimore upon Presentation of a Bible" (September 7, 1864), p. 542.

"You can wax on, wax off all you like, I'm still kicking your [butt]."
— Gene, God Hand

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:10 pm

The fact that this thread is entitled "The (un)Official CAA Quote Thread," yet it contains no actual CAA quotes, saddens me greatly. Therefore, I have come to fix this problem:

Nate 09:52 - CAPS LOCK IS SHORTCUT TO COOLNESS!
AziertheSwordsman 09:52 - CAPS LOCK IS SHORTCUT TO BEING DORK.

Ark 09:09 - I see. Oh well. I am still waiting for a chick stalker.
Ark 09:09 - someday. Someday.
CapnNick 09:09 - Eh, they're not all they're cracked up to be.
CapnNick 09:10 - Think about it - if the chick's dateable, she's not a stalker. She'll be a girlfriend.
CapnNick 09:10 - The ones that stalk you are always consummate buttertrolls.
kaemmerite 09:10 - True, true.
Ark 09:10 - don't spoil my dream you funglenugget.

MrSmartyPants 10:34 - If I went to wikipedia and put down "Roland Reagan was secretly a woman" In real life he really would have been a woman!

AziertheSwordsman summons the hottest CAA celebrity lady to teh chat.
08:03 - MrSmartyPants has entered the chat.
MrSmartyPants 08:03 - HERE I AM!!!!

Kkun 09:34 - I'm gonna start a rock band and model the name after one of my favorite bands, mewithoutYou.
Kkun 09:34 - It's gonna be called
Kkun 09:34 - natewithoutPants.

Kkun 07:42 - Shirtless Abe: FOUR SCORE AND FIVE SECONDS AGO, I WAS CONJURED INTO EXISTENCE TO KICK #$*!!!!!!

MrSmartyPants 11:57 - once we start sharing quotes
MrSmartyPants 11:57 - We don't stop XD
RadicalDreamer 11:57 - Yeah, it's like, without quotes, it's not a true CAA chat. XD
sldr4Christ1985 11:58 - yeah, we have no lives, so we talk about things that happened a month ago on instant messenger xD

<CapnNick> And I find out now that in India, if you're possessed by demons, national law lets you ride the bus for free.
<CapnNick> I'm not sure how it works, though. Like, do you need a card or do you just convulse in front of the bus driver?

My work here is done. Now somebody please follow suit so I don't look insane. XD

(And only post the CAA-appropriate ones...you all know what I mean. XD)
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:30 pm

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

And so Corrie doesn't kill me.

FishandChips 03:14 - Jamie...
FishandChips 03:14 - Did we defend freedom and justice? And the American way?
Kkun 03:14 - We shot a foreigner like eight hundred times.
Fish and Chips

Next

Return to General