Why does the 80's get so much ridicule?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:43 am

One day somebody is going to be like "man those people in the 2000's, they took everything so seriously."
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:54 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1265968) wrote:One day somebody is going to be like "man those people in the 2000's, they took everything so seriously."

Thread saved?
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1265971) wrote:Image

Thread saved?

[SIZE="7"]Yes.[/SIZE]
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Dante » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:08 pm

I guess I haven't read the whole thread... and probobly should... but I just wanted to note when I skimmed and saw this...

Oh, and The Neverending Story sucked.

The Neverending story... and the Dark Crystal (another 80s movie) totally pwned... they are classics even today along with back to the future and any star wars movie. The sequel to the Neverending story was bad, but then again they didn't follow the author's book and decided they just wanted a sequel for a sequels sake... that's about as bad as creating a movie based off a video game just because the video game was well liked... yeah... (That's just a general event and nothing to do with the 80s though)

But... another topic...

Are you kidding me? the 80s is going to come back in style (just watch it) It will be more "modernized" but it's the same old stuff. Eras are interesting because they have references from past eras.

If that's true, then what era did the 80s reference? (although given all the bad references to tight pants and poofy hair styles I see people associating the 80s with, I'm beggining to think midevil europe... like King of France style Europe :P.

But seriously, why does every era have to be a repeat of a past era, can't our generation ever produce anything original? Oh wellz.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:36 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1265971) wrote:Image

Thread saved?

BEST. THING. EVER.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1265679) wrote:Back to the Future, Karate Kid, Red Dawn, Top Gun, Short Circuit, Alien (series), Blade Runner, The Empire Strikes Back, The Princess Bride, Terminator 2, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, The Blues Brothers, Amadeus, Platoon, The Shining, Clue, Die Hard, Godfather, and the list goes on and on.

The 80's had some fantastic movies.

How could you forget The Gods Must Be Crazy (I and II)?

ClosetOtaku (post: 1265812) wrote:And, surprisingly, my 18-year-old daughter thinks that a lot of the best music came out before 1990. For the most part, I agree.

I've played the karaoke game SingStar before, and there were several editions to choose from to play. The one that had the songs that I was most familiar with and actually knew the lyrics was SingStar 80s. So I (kind of maybe) partly agree....
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Mister Frodo » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:51 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1265731) wrote:Regretfully, while the air of your largely self-inoculated rampant sesquipedalism carries the unspoken influence that there is a reasoned cognitive process behind your barrage of applicative verbose vocabulary, it is insufficient to sweep under the rug your own dismissive ignorance of this board's established doctrine of zero tolerance towards public political dissection and discussion as outlined clearly in its operating policies which I am confident a man of your academic stature would normally be impressed upon to respect, if perhaps not personally condone. Alas, your futile attempts to weasel in your socio-political agenda into this only remotely related topic of discussion have proved to be laughably unsuccessful, if at the very least amusing in their heretofore previously documented laughable nature. Unless, of course, you can indeed provide documentation as to the cruel influence of a massively encompassing government project corrupting the state of mundanely bizarre hairstyling and like fields of interest.

Fish, put the thesaurus down and step away from the internet.
Mister Frodo

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:51 pm

How could you not love the 80s?

It produced some of the greatest music ever.

Like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edaJP3Lp0Gg
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:14 am

Pascal (post: 1266058) wrote:I guess I haven't read the whole thread... and probobly should... but I just wanted to note when I skimmed and saw this...

The Neverending story... and the Dark Crystal (another 80s movie) totally pwned... they are classics even today along with back to the future and any star wars movie. The sequel to the Neverending story was bad, but then again they didn't follow the author's book and decided they just wanted a sequel for a sequels sake... that's about as bad as creating a movie based off a video game just because the video game was well liked... yeah... (That's just a general event and nothing to do with the 80s though)

well... The sequel to the sequel was like that. The sequel unforunately followed a little too well... The second half of the book was pretty much NES2 and was not... well, lemme say that I didn't care for it.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:33 am

Azier the Swordsman (post: 1266084) wrote:How could you not love the 80s?

It produced some of the greatest music ever.

Like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edaJP3Lp0Gg

I just feel like I need to say "I called it." XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:41 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1266131) wrote:I just feel like I need to say "I called it." XD

The expression "fool me once" also applies here. hehe.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am

But it's In Subject so you can't hate him for it.
Fish and Chips

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:12 am

In either case not enough people saw this the first time so I'm gonna clear the stinkroll out of the air by posting this again. :lol:

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1265636) wrote:this seems an appropriate place to post this.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e062d7b4d5
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:16 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1266148) wrote:In either case not enough people saw this the first time so I'm gonna clear the stinkroll out of the air by posting this again. :lol:

HAHAHAHA, one of my friends was telling me about this video the other day. XD That is AMAZING.

Radical Dreamer

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:27 pm

Ahahahaha.. How Did I Miss That Xdd?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:38 pm

I think the vast majority of the points I've made in this thread were invisible. XD I've been finding everything I said repeated by others and accepted over and over, so I think I just had my superpowers on. Hehe
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:43 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, I's sorries :(

I don't think I've even posted in here accept the last one XD

I meant to earlier (yesterday), but I had to go, so I never hit "Psst Quick Reply" O_O Besides, what I WAS going to say was also already said, but in one line and summarized 8D
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby termyt » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:55 am

I like that song.
Christisright (post: 1265935) wrote:despite it's faults,The 80's was great. If you have to ridicule a decade,ridicule the 50's or the 60's. However,even though the 80's rocked,the 90's rocked even more.
The 50's and 60's rocked extremely hard, but are also ridicule worthy. The 70's are probably ridiculed the most (and perhaps deservedly so).
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Mave » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:25 am

To add to the fun videos of 80s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9nptjUs9FM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-is6S_b_g

Then, compare this to like say.... Snoop Dogg (which I cannot post here haha)? XD
Mave

Postby LiquidOcelot » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:26 pm

Well, I'll just say that I tend to like the music from the 1980's and 1990's better than this decade. I prefer pop and rock and don't like hip-hop quite as much. I prefer music for the heart and soul. Rather than music that seems more for ego or the mind.

Oh, and I'm probably one of the few Christians that loves Madonna.:hug:
Anyways, she started in the 1980's. And, well...hmm...let's move on to the next topic. :sweat:

Ok, there were some really good movies in the 1980's: Aliens, Terminator, Empire Strikes Back, The Abyss, Desperately Seeking Susan, Little Mermaid :lol: Anyhow, those are just some that I like a lot.
LiquidOcelot

Postby Eddosan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:40 pm

People still play NES games. They're that awesome.

Well, the good ones at least.
Jesus is Lord!

[url=eddosan.deviantart.com]Clickity click[/url]
Eddosan

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:57 pm

termyt (post: 1266307) wrote:I like that song.
The 50's and 60's rocked extremely hard, but are also ridicule worthy. The 70's are probably ridiculed the most (and perhaps deservedly so).

I don't know, the 70s rocked pretty hard. I'd give you THAT list, but I should sleep.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Purplefire » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:09 pm

Pascal (post: 1266058) wrote:But seriously, why does every era have to be a repeat of a past era, can't our generation ever produce anything original? Oh wellz.

Because there is nothing new under the sun, really. All artists take their inspiration from something.

Ah, the 80's. I can't say much for it because I was living an oblivious happy childhood at the time. My parents restricted a lot of things that we watched and listened to so I can't make a list of awesome 80's music, television shows or movies for everyone. Christian music back in the 80's was interesting though. Carmen anyone? How about early Michael W. Smith?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"]
^My webcomic[/color]
[color="Magenta"]"Try having pastries as your hair style." ~Purplefire[/color]
[color="Cyan"]"If you throw us in the fire, the God we serve can rescue us from your roaring furnace and anything else you might cook up, O king. But even if he doesn't, it wouldn't make a bit of difference, O king. We still wouldn't serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up." Daniel 3:17-18[/color]
Purplefire

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:32 pm

What it comes down to is that every generation had a lot of stuff that was goofy and a lot of stuff that was good. The 80s are no less deserving of laud or mockery than any other decade.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Dante » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:47 pm

speaking of the 80s I just wanted to note that I got my hands on the dark crystal manga today. The art work is beautiful, even if the story is a little cliche' (they could do much more with the story then they have thus far, nor do I believe a flute can kill a garthem :P). Overall though I'd like to see more by this artist in the future (but I'd like the author of the story to add a few more twists, even though I haven't read it through yet completely).
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:41 am

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:What it comes down to is that every generation had a lot of stuff that was goofy and a lot of stuff that was good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2phSUkFeVI

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kanerou » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1265636) wrote:this seems an appropriate place to post this.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e062d7b4d5

I <3 it!

*steps away slowly*
"You've gotta speak about those things you don't currently see as though they already exist. Back in the beginning, God didn't look into space and say, 'Gee, it's dark.' He called light into existence."

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1218170) wrote:Also, I hope never to hear "Nate" and "prance" in the same sentence again . . .
Kanerou

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:37 pm

Kanerou wrote:*steps away slowly*

What, you don't like Eurobeat? :|

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Nate (post: 1269734) wrote:What, you don't like Eurobeat? :|

I LOVE EUROBEAT :o
Tsukuyomi

Previous

Return to General