Energy Drinks and caffeine addiction

Talk about anything in here.

Postby sharien chan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:21 pm

I used to be awfully addicted to caffeine. However I gave it up for Lent because, and this sounds so stupid, but it affects how I connect to God. I get too manic and I used to abuse it like a drug to get away from pain. So now I have to be careful with caffeine. I love coffee but I like it for the taste, not the caffeine.
sharien chan

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:27 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1242500) wrote: In all seriousness, energy drinks are now beer for children.

qft.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby fairyprincess90 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:29 pm

OH MY GOSH! I'm the biggest caffeine lover ever!!!!!! woohoo! i drink coffee every day...sometimes like three cups by noon...and I LOVE MONSTER! i like the java monster =D and I like the Monster Khaos, and since I'm always on some stupid diet I like the Low-carb monster. I love starbucks as well! I kinda like the double shot expresso +energy. That makes me go crazy! hehehehe woohoo.
I am addicted to it too. like today...I didn't have any...and I slept practically the whole day and I have a terrible caffeine headache..

I think I'll go get coffee...hehe

but yeah. I really actually shouldn't drink it because my family has history of lots of heart problems...and so I probably shouldn't drink so much caffeine. hehe OH WELL!
fairyprincess90

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:52 pm

What bothers me is that people know that they have a problem but simply let it exist, as well as that people who think that caffeine addiction is a good or cool thing.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby fairyprincess90 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:01 pm

Well I just simply can't survive without my caffeine. I've tried to be good about it and only drink one cup a day in the morning... but I just can't do it.
fairyprincess90

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:05 pm

I drink for the caff if I need a pick-me-up on a long project or shift, but otherwise I just like coffee for the taste of coffee (and I don't have a coffee maker so I don't even drink it that much)
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:10 pm

In moderation, caffeine-containing drinks aren't bad --it's when you drink in excess that they show their harmful effects.

I try to limit myself to 1 soda and 3-4 cups of coffee a week. I drink mostly distilled water, and Crystal Light(that stuff is awesome and low on calories--it makes the tap water here drinkable --otherwise, the water tastes very metallic)

And the soda I usually drink is Sprite for my stomach (it helps when I'm uh, feeling a bit bloated/crampy/gassy)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:11 pm

My sodas are all caff light sodas. lol. Orange soda, Dr. Pepper and the like.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:15 pm

fairyprincess90 (post: 1242513) wrote:OH MY GOSH! I'm the biggest caffeine lover ever!!!!!! woohoo! i drink coffee every day...sometimes like three cups by noon...and I LOVE MONSTER! i like the java monster =D and I like the Monster Khaos, and since I'm always on some stupid diet I like the Low-carb monster. I love starbucks as well! I kinda like the double shot expresso +energy. That makes me go crazy! hehehehe woohoo.
I am addicted to it too. like today...I didn't have any...and I slept practically the whole day and I have a terrible caffeine headache..

I think I'll go get coffee...hehe

but yeah. I really actually shouldn't drink it because my family has history of lots of heart problems...and so I probably shouldn't drink so much caffeine. hehe OH WELL!

Wow...

My head is spinning from this post XD. I couldn't tell you were a caffine person... really ;)

Nah I don't drink any energy drinks that often The last time I had an energy drink was like back in April...

I like Amp BECAUSE it doesn't taste like an energy drink... I hate the taste of most of them... >_>

And I don't drink caffine before a race, or exercise or anything... I get really stressed out when I watch races on TV, (I'm so afraid my driver will wreck) and if I drink caffine... I just can't handle that...my heart races so fast.

Also, NEVER drink coffee or caffine WITHOUT eating! A couple of times last year I had a cup of coffee without anything else in my stomach and it really made me sick...

Also out of everything mentioned here, Tea, Coffee, Energy drinks... WATER OWNS THEM ALL!

Seriously the BEST thing for everyone is to drink water... Tea and Coffee, while okay for you in moderation will never be better for you than plain ol' H20
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby king atlantis » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:20 pm

[color="Red"]yeah, drinking caffenated stuff before excercise is BAD.

like, REALY bad.

ill drink it to wake up, if i know i have a little b4 i have to be physically active.[/color]

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1242500) wrote:Yeah, but there's also loads of taurine and guarana in them. And 200-300 mg of caffeine, while not really fatal, is no way good for your health. Top it with the loads of sugar and/or other artificial sweeteners and it's like you're drinking more soda a day than the average individual in the US. If you're drinking thes frequently, don't be surprised to run into many health problems later on.

Oh yeah, and caffeine addiction. Something is wrong with you if you think it's cool to be dependent on caffeine. So many people drink coffee to get rid of headaches due to their dependency. I think it's dumb, and that it would be better to deal with the headaches for a few days to let it get out of your system.

With all due respect, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to not know that those things are pretty bad for you. I know two people, one who had to go on a strict water-only died because he drank way too many energy drinks. The other had to drink water as well as take salt pills because she almost died of dehydration for drinking soda too much.

And seriously, energy drinks is such a retarded fad anyway. You don't look cool for drinking them and nobody cares if you're a Monster-connoisseur or whatever. In all seriousness, energy drinks are now beer for children.

[color="Red"]
seriously, i just like the taste...
which is wierd, cause' i know how many people DONT like it.[/color]
im a back.
king atlantis

Postby Debitt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:53 pm

Dew. Pepsi. Lots and lots of green tea. Rockstar sometimes. Not really a big coffee drinker, though. I'm pretty caffeine addicted, but I've been trying to at least drink stuff that's more natural, like tea, as opposed to soda.

It, uh. Hasn't been working out exactly as I planned, but I'm working on it. *shrug*

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:20 pm

I don't really have much of either. I prefer my caffeine in chocolate form.
I do have energy drinks when they hand out free samples at exams though... XD
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:33 am

Fairyprincess illustrated what too much coffee does to your mind. Don't do coffee kids, and stay in school!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby chibiphonebooth » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:42 am

bleh i hate coffee. i hate the taste, the smell, the look. all of it. the whole package. BLEH.

I cant drink energy drinks. I'm naturally a very talkative person (anyone who knows me at all on here can vouch for that) and when i have energy drinks..

i.

dont.

shut.

up.

I talk and talk and talk and talk until people are like OMG GO AWAY AUUGHHHH.

My manager yelled at me cause i had told her i was tired, so she told me to get an energy drink (in which i never had before) so i bought one and drank it at work. and then for the next hour i followed her around just constantly talking and i was like.. jittery. finally she turned around and was like 'NO. YOU CANNOT HAVE THESE ENERGY DRINKS. YOU DONT SHUT UP. AUGH LEAVE ME ALONE.'

and i was unaware of how talkative i was until i looked back on it. XDDDD;;;
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:48 am

That's awesome Chibi. You rock!

But you don't even like the smell of coffee?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 am

I don't drink energy drinks or coffee.

My caffeine comes from cola slurpees.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:13 am

I've actually heard that teenagers younger than like 18 SHOULDN'T drink energy drinks because of all the harmful side effects...

is that true?

AND CHIBI!

OMGOSH I feel your pain... When I drink coffee, I imagine it's like an inhibitor. I can't stop talking! I can't control what I'm saying either... Stuff just like falls out of my mouth before I can stop it.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:15 am

EricTheFred (post: 1242425) wrote:My only canned drink is Boss Black. It's one of the wonderful canned coffees from Japan, and the only one I know of that's simply perfectly brewed coffee (actually, they mix brewed coffee and espresso) without any additives. If you aren't a drinker of black coffee, it tastes bland. You have to really appreciate the subletities of coffee flavor to get why people love the stuff.

Dis one?

Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby MBlight » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:20 am

Mmhmm... I'm a coffee addict... I average around 5 x 450ml cups a day (darn, that sounds bad when I write it down!!!)

Maybe I should cut down on that just a wee bit.

As for energy drinks... nah, the South African ones suck...
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby animewarrior » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:56 am

well.... *is currently sipping hot chocolate with 2 extra tablespoons of powder in it* I've never actually tried coffee because my Dad is ADDICTED to the stuff...btw I LOVE caffeine....especially when in CHOCOLATE.... ((CHOCO-HOLIC))......btw coffee smells good but I don't want to try it due to the fact that what it may do to me... same for energy drinks *twitch* l remember my two friends getting so wasted on Coffee that they were talking non-stop and spinning themselves on the swings....it was....SCARY... therefore, considering that I'm EXTREMELY prone to getting hyper (off nothing) if I'm in good mood, I stay away from energy drink and coffee.....just don't take away my CHOCOLATE!!!! XD
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:56 am

ChristianKitsune (post: 1242587) wrote:I've actually heard that teenagers younger than like 18 SHOULDN'T drink energy drinks because of all the harmful side effects...

I heard that drinking too much of that is extremely dangerous... and drinking too many sports drinks can cause somebody to die (because they're meant to replace the sodium in your body after you sweat them out).

Hmm... As far as this goes.... I'm not sure...
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby RobinSena » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:00 am

EricTheFred (post: 1242425) wrote:Back before I grew unable to digest sugar and a number other ingredients in the typical energy drink, I drank Bawls by the case. Its a UNIX geek thing...

Ahh, yes. The only energy drink I consume is Bawls, and that's seldom. (being broke. XD)

As for caffeine, it never makes me hyper. I actually receive a calming effect. Especially after having 7 cups, like yesterday.. 0.o
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby fairyprincess90 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:16 am

Hey Hey! Don't make fun of meee! hehe

I'm actually pretty smart =] Just alittle crazy at times....hehe I was crazy all my life haha

But seriously. I know they are bad for you. But I really need them to survive. I should try to stop though.........because I care about other stuff I put into my mouth...like I only drink organic milk and certain foods like that...I should work on my caffeine consumption.
fairyprincess90

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:29 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1242576) wrote:Fairyprincess illustrated what too much coffee does to your mind. Don't do coffee kids, and stay in school!

Hmmm..... I'm not sure how to parse this one. Me and the student union coffee machine were best buds in Engineering school... we hung out 4-5 hours per day while I did my homework... once the hallucinations kicked in, we'd have the most amazing conversations.....

Warrior4Christ (post: 1242592) wrote:Dis one?

You are correct, sir!
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:37 am

I drink at least four to five cans of Mountain Dew a day. I have a pretty bad caffeine addiction. XD;; I don't particularly care for coffee though. I love the smell, but can't stand the taste...if it's about half-creamer though I can drink it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:15 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1242611) wrote:I heard that drinking too much of that is extremely dangerous... and drinking too many sports drinks can cause somebody to die (because they're meant to replace the sodium in your body after you sweat them out).

I drink sports drinks when I'm sick --I tend to get dehydrated when I have the flu/a bad cold and they really help! They are also really helpful in the Texas summer where you're drenched in sweat after being outside for 5 minutes...
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:42 am

Sorry...

I'm a JOLT man.
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Postby Debitt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:43 am

:lol: ErictheFred, I'm a fan of Boss Cafe Au Lait myself. Between last summer and January, they stopped selling it at the Japanese market near my house. D: Augh. Miss it so much.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby sharien chan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:44 pm

[quote="chibiphonebooth (post: 1242577)"]bleh i hate coffee. i hate the taste, the smell, the look. all of it. the whole package. BLEH.

I cant drink energy drinks. I'm naturally a very talkative person (anyone who knows me at all on here can vouch for that) and when i have energy drinks..

i.

dont.

shut.

up.

My manager yelled at me cause i had told her i was tired, so she told me to get an energy drink (in which i never had before) so i bought one and drank it at work. and then for the next hour i followed her around just constantly talking and i was like.. jittery. finally she turned around and was like 'NO. YOU CANNOT HAVE THESE ENERGY DRINKS. YOU DONT SHUT UP. AUGH LEAVE ME ALONE.'

and i was unaware of how talkative i was until i looked back on it. XDDDD]

What about that time you, Carl and I had a Jolt and we all fell asleep? talk about a weird day.
sharien chan

Postby MBlight » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:21 am

[quote="chibiphonebooth (post: 1242577)"]bleh i hate coffee. i hate the taste, the smell, the look. all of it. the whole package. BLEH.

i.

dont.

shut.

up.

and i was unaware of how talkative i was until i looked back on it. XDDDD]

lol!

I kinda fall asleep with energy stuff... like an adverse side effect or something.:drool:
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Previous Next

Return to General