Gunslinger Girl

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Gunslinger Girl

Postby blueraven » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:34 pm

I tired doing a little search before hand but I didn't find any threads with actual information about it. I've notice the manga at the store and it does look interesting and while looking though December's issue of Newtype its also in the 2003 Buyer's Guide. Just wondering if anyone had any input on this and all. Thanks ^^
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby HikariChan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:25 am

i have this book! its an ok book. i like how shes an assasin like person^___^'
if you dont have it you should get it!

My mom does NOT go to college
:P
HikariChan

Location: -Where I practice flying with my Imagination-Big Ol' Texas-

Postby blueraven » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:32 am

Could you maybe give be a bit more information please? From what little I know about Gunslinger Girl its the type of manga that has my full attention but I like to know what I'm getting myself into before picking something up. Thanks ^^
blueraven

Postby chibi_chan » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:15 pm

great manga it's a little sad at some parts (you just start to cry at some parts, it's so sad) I want the second book to come out!! :mutter: :bang:
happy go luck monkey!
ImageImage

akai tsuki wo nagameteta kara nakitai hodo boku no fuan wa
itsumo kioku no katasumi ni kasabuta mitai ni nokoru yo
itai kurai kirei datta kedo hikari no naka no boku no kage wo
ano takai kanransha de dareka ga waratta ki ga shita

hitsuji no kigurumi wo kita mama yaseta otoko no ko ga odokete
haku iki wo shiroku sasete inoru youni te wo awaseta
ano ko to sora no aida ni wa toumei na nanika ga aru kara
kitto negai wa todokanai sukoshi samuku naru yuuenchi

nanimokamo uso ni naru daremo inaku naru

boku no naka no boku wo itsuka katai GARASU bin ni tsumete
hi no ataru niwa no kadan ni koneko to issho ni umeyou
mizutamari ni utsuru kao wa tsumetai ame de gushagusha ni
chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridashita yo

maboroshi no BERU ga nari keshiki ga kasumi daseba
nanimokamo uso ni naru daremo inaku naru

boku no naka no boku wo itsuka katai GARASU bin ni tsumete
hi no ataru niwa no kadan ni koneko to issho ni umeyou
mizutamari ni utsuru kao wa tsumetai ame de gushagusha ni
chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridasu yo

yasashiku gin'iro no ame ga machi no subete ni furisosogu
michi no haji de sagashiteita boku wo yatto mitsuketa
isu no ue ni hana no ue ni ashi ga nai roba no senaka ni
komakai ame ga furisosogu boku no ue ni mo _____.
song: Hontou no Uso by PLastic Tree lyrics:anime lyrics
chibi_chan

Postby HikariChan » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:56 am

like theres this agentcy that finds children in dreadful conditions (like a child that has lost an arm and stuff) and they fix them and brainwash them so where they are like assasins and do what their masters want ( the masters are nice)
the book revolves around these three girls (at least so far) and it just shows who they are and their storys and how they becom assasins^______^'
i tryed to explain it the best i can! i havent read it in a while so i dotn know if thats the full download on it^____^' someone correct me if i'm wrong.

HikariChan

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:00 pm

Not sure about the manga, but from all the 13 episodes of the anime Gunslinger Girl, it's a serious and dramatic series. Like what Hikarichan said, an Italian agency (specifically their Section 2) "conditions" young girls that are crippled, orphaned, etc. The girls are enhanced with cybernetic parts and brainwashed to erase any qualms about killing, memories of their past, and to give their uttermost devotion to their instructors. (They carry out missions and assasinations in pairs, the girl and her instructor, which is called "fratello" which is akin to "siblings" in Italian if I'm not mistaken)

Gunslinger Girl is a pretty conterversial title. And if the manga is as serious as the anime, then it ought to be. It takes a serious look at the "young girl assassin" genre and at times you really want to help these poor girls.

Good premise and characters, GG is one of my favorites. Expect violence and maybe disturbing pasts if they are shown in the manga (none particularly shown in the anime). If you have qualms about pre-teen girls gunning down men without batting an eye, then this is not the manga/anime for you.

In the anime, the worst past might belong to Henrietta (the main char). See below if you want to know:

[spoiler]Her family was killed in front of her and she herself was raped all night--and we're talking about a 11-12 yr old girl here. Really heart-wrenching...[/spoiler]
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby HikariChan » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:15 pm

Could you maybe give be a bit more information please? From what little I know about Gunslinger Girl its the type of manga that has my full attention but I like to know what I'm getting myself into before picking something up. Thanks ^^

What Psycho Ann said^______^'

HikariChan

Postby blueraven » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:20 pm

Thank you all. Just the information I was looking for. Does seem like the sort I'd be interested in. I didn't realize it was also in anime, I'll probally be looking into that also. So I take it there is a "deep" Italian influance? Influance probally isn't the right word I'm looking for but I hope you know what I mean. If so that also interests me, my best friend is Italian ^^; Thanks again.
blueraven

Postby HikariChan » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:28 am

no problem^_____^'
I didnt know it was an anime too?!?

HikariChan

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:28 pm

Yep, the Italian feel to it was one of things that made GG so special. The places were taken from real reference so I felt like I'm back in art history class some times ^^ You'll also get some german lessons in the last episodes :P

Yeah, I really recommend the anime (despite the 'hanging' last episode), just be wary of violence and that's about it. I didn't recall there to be any bad language either.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Icarus » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:55 pm

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but does anyone have any idea when the next volume of the manga comes out.?

Regardng Ann's spoiler, I hadn't interpreted that way before. but wow.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby indyrocker » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:01 pm

no clue But i am loving my subed copys of the anime henreta has got to be my faveret girl from the entire series and her relashinship with her "brother" is quite intresting.
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:18 pm

Icarus wrote:Sorry to bump such an old thread, but does anyone have any idea when the next volume of the manga comes out.?

What volume are we talking about? Three is released, that much I know, but I'm not sure about any more than that. The release calendar for GG has been completely hormonal. I'll go do some research.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Icarus » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:13 pm

I'm hoping it's four, as I've not seen anything past 3
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Kisa » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:55 am

in the anime and manga are they clean? like what should we be aware and cautious of?
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Icarus » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:13 pm

Swearing, and graphic violence for the most part. There is one panty shot that I recall n the manga (I've not seen the anime past the first volume).
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews