What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:55 am

Dance of the Tiger by Björn Kurtén

It is a novel set in prehistoric times that shows the Neatherthals and Cro-Magnons as very human instead of half-apes. Interesting, overall, though I would say it is worth more for the science behind it than the literary value.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:43 pm

Read half of Tarzan At The Earth's Core yesterday a crossover between ERB's
Tarzan of the Apes and Pellucidar series.
mitsuki lover

Postby yukinon » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:18 pm

What is that book about kokhiri? It has an interesting title.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:21 pm

American Gospel:God,The Founding Fathers,and the Making of a Nation by Jon
Meacham.
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:48 pm

I recommend American Gospel as a well researched even handed look at religion throughout American history.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:27 pm

yukinon wrote:What is that book about kokhiri? It has an interesting title.

Basically the book is about spiritual theology - how you live out your beliefs. Much of the book is discussing this in three areas, as Peterson titles them:

Christ Plays in Creation
Christ Plays in History
Christ Plays in Community

Peterson is an exceptional writer. I find that of any theologians I have read, he is the most interesting to read, though he is wordy. But I would recommend it if you are interested. Thanks for asking.

:thumb:
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:45 pm

Currently reading:

DragonKnight
Messenger

Recently Finished:

Beowulf
Wuthering Heights
Frankenstein (these were all for school, haha, but I really enjoyed Beowulf!)
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby revolution » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Currently reading:

DragonKnight
Messenger

Recently Finished:

Beowulf
Wuthering Heights
Frankenstein (these were all for school, haha, but I really enjoyed Beowulf!)

I was really surprised because most of the books that I have read from school I ended up liking them. If you liked Beowulf you might like Grendel.
You dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than who is in the world." 1 John 4:4
revolution

Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Postby yukinon » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:48 am

I've read Grendel and it mostly just confused me. But at the time I didn't like Beowulf either. I might appreciate it more now.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:04 am

I've read something like two small excerpts from Grendel. I think it's an interesting way to look at the story, though, from the monster's point of view, rather than the hero's. I may end up reading it, but chances are, I'll probably forget it exists by the time I'd have time to read it. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Doubleshadow » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:41 pm

Slowly but surely, I'm reading The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Sai » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:58 pm

I'm reading the odyssey by homer.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:53 pm

Hal Lindsey And Biblical Prophecy by Dr.Cornelis Vanderwaal.The book that started me on the path to Amillennialism.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:18 pm

A Philosophical Investigation by Philip Kerr

A fascinating blend of mystery, science fiction, and psychological thriller. So far I have not read enough to judge if it has classic-level quality in terms of the issues it handles, but it shows promise. But allow me to give a brief content warning: the text is graphically explicit and has some sexual content beyond what relates to the primary story that seems unnecessary.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Presidential Ancedotes(1981 edition)by Paul Boller,Jr.
This is the original and so goes only as far as Reagan.
mitsuki lover

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:44 pm

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is now done! Now onto The Horse and His Boy... the one book they're skipping in the movies (the new Narnia movie is apparently Prince Caspian). Now I'll have to read and see WHY they're skipping it...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:27 pm

I can think of some reasons why it was skipped:

1.The Pevensies don't really have an important role in THAHB and what part they have is solely cameo.
2.They are also older in the book so it would have meant hiring new actors to
fill in the roles temporarily,which the studio probably might not wanted to do as older actors would have demanded more money even for just cameos.
3.It always has been one of the odder books in the series.
4.Prince Caspian does come as the next book in logical sequence.
5.The Horse And His Boy takes place DURING the last chapter of TL,TW & TW,chronologically speaking.
mitsuki lover

Postby Linksquest » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:15 am

Right now I'm reading BELOVED by Toni Morrison for my English class. It's really hard reading so far... I've only gotten through 30 or so pages... It's interesting though, I'll keep you guys posted.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby MasterDias » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:32 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is now done! Now onto The Horse and His Boy... the one book they're skipping in the movies (the new Narnia movie is apparently Prince Caspian). Now I'll have to read and see WHY they're skipping it...

They aren't "skipping" it. They are more or less producing the films in publishing order which places THaHB later on.
If they were taking the chronological route, they would have started with The Magician's Nephew instead of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby yukinon » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:20 am

That makes sense.

I'm actually one of the few people who prefer the chronological route.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Custer And The Little Bighorn:The Man,The Mystery,The Myth by Jim Donovan
mitsuki lover

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:49 am

Religions of China by Daniel L. Overmyer.
Sammy Boy

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:14 pm

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God - J.I. Packer

and I think I'm going to take up

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - Annie Dillard

as well.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:42 pm

the Bible (always) and to kill a mockingbird.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Panel Discussions by Durwin S Talon
Superman on the Couch by Danny Fingeroth

Two books on American comics. The first is a set of interviews with many major authors and can be highly interesting, but is unfortunately disorganized (there isn't even a table of contents). The latter analyzes what the existance of the superhero genre (and subgenres) says about us as a society, sometimes in annoying detail.
uc pseudonym

Postby yukinon » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Have you ever read "Understanding Comics"? I think it's by Scott McCloud. It proved to be surprisingly interesting.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:34 pm

The Politically Incorrect Guide To Islam(And The Crusades)byRobert Spencer
He uses primary Moslem sources such as the Koran and the numerous commentaries on it to puncture the myth of Islam as Religion of Peace.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:15 pm

Just today I read assigned portions of The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions by Marcus Borg and NT Wright. It is very interesting and I recommend it to anyone who wants challenging study of the gospels. They address various issues from two very different angles: Wright takes a conservative academic stance whereas Borg takes a much looser interpretation.

yukinon wrote:Have you ever read "Understanding Comics"? I think it's by Scott McCloud. It proved to be surprisingly interesting.

The name sounds familiar, but I am fairly certain I have not read the actual book.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:33 pm

The Best of Star Trek introduction by Nicholas Meyer with forward by Robert Greenberger.A collection of some of the best DC Star Trek comics of the late
'80s/early '90s published in 1991.
mitsuki lover

Postby JasonPratt » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:53 am

Just finished _The Mutilation of Mark's Gospel_. The author's thesis can be divided into three parts: that 16:8 was not the original ending (his best point, and frankly conceded by almost everyone but certain literary critics whose job is to get what meaning _can_ be gotten from the text as it stands); that 1:1 (and/or 1:2) was not the original beginning (a more provacative attempt, not quite as successful IMO but with a lot of strong points nonetheless); and that these are the results of accidental damage to the cover of the original (autographic) codex. Frankly, this last portion is where his argument stumbles wildly all over the place. It sounds plausible on the face of it, but I noticed him having to do some rapid shuffling and eliding past points in order to get past serious conceptual problems that arise if the thesis is put into practical historical play. Another problem is that this element of the thesis ends up being vaguely circular: it depends largely for its strength on how well he establishes both of the previous elements; but there's a sense in which he seems to be appealing to _this_ element as a way of strengthening element 2 by means of best-explanation grounding. (Element 1, that GosMark's ending has been removed, needs no such strengthening. {g})

Still, an interesting book, with some data I didn't yet know about myself.

Not far from finishing Chesterton's _The Ball and the Cross_. I've tried to start it once or twice already, and just couldn't get past the freakish introduction; but the notion of two (Scottish!) disputants literally crossing swords in a duel over the existence of God, combined with the absurdist humor and highly poetic visuals, can make it seem like a good candidate for an anime OVA or film sometimes. (I suppose it's telling that Chesterton himself didn't much like the book in later years. But then, he wrote _Orthodoxy_, a book which he claimed in its own preface that no one would ever be able to convince him to read it!--and I've always rather enjoyed that and its prequel _Heretics_.)

Next up: finishing my current edition of Theology Today, and getting into the current edition of First Things (somewhat sadly, periodicals take up reading time nowadays usually reserved for actual books... {g}) Next actual _book_ on the list--trying to decide if I need to catch up with any plot alterations Marie Brennan introduced into her published version of _Doppelganger_ (I've read the book several times, back when I was chief unofficial editor on it {g}), before her sequel _Warrior and Witch_ streets Oct 1. Which will very probably bump eveything else, since I admire her terribly, and I haven't read a word of that book yet. {beam!}{sigh}

I think Shippey's _A Tolkien Compass_ is technically the next book on my list, though.
this message has been brought to you by
Bittersea Publications
in the owner's spare time {g!}

"For all shall be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another." -- Mark 9:49-50 (my candidate for most important overlooked verse in Scripture. {g})

"We must
be strong and brave--
our home
we've got to save!

We must make
the fighting cease,
so Mother Earth
will be at peace!

Through all the fire and the smoke,
we will never give up hope:
if we can win,
the Earth will survive--
we'll keep peace alive!" -- from the English lyrics to the closing theme of _Space Battleship Yamato_

"It _was_ harsh. Mirei didn't have anything that would soften it either." -- the surprisingly astute (I might even call it inspired {s!}) theological conclusion to Marie Brennan's _Doppleganger_ (Warner-Aspect, April 2006)
JasonPratt

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner