Music that is "too heavy" for you.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Music that is "too heavy" for you.

Postby Knives » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:00 pm

Hey guys, I used to think that no music was too heavy for me and that stuff like Haste the Day, POD etc was the heaviest thing there was...boy was I wrong.
So this is just a thread to list bands that are "too heavy" for you.
For me:
Crimson Thorn
Crimson Moonlight
Frost Like Ashes
etc
Black metal in general.
Lol, I am a wimp, I know. :lol:
btw, If Hitokiri or Eric post in this thread, I will be shocked beyond belief.
Knives

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:19 pm

I agree with those also Knives. I don't like most Black metal.. Well other than Mortal treason but i don't really think they are "black metal" per se
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:35 pm

Black metal I do not like much either... or thrash/hair metal or whatever thats called... I do like a couple black metal bands but it HAS to be like melodic black metal and there HAS to be a female vocal in there somewhere... My ears need something to ease the harsh singing. So it cant be just pounding noise with gurgling voices... it needs a nice melody that I really like and then I can tolerate the black vocals better. And they go up 20 points if they have some strong female vocals in there.

And no grindcore... grindcore sucks... that is worse than black metal...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby dyzzispell » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Screamo and Goth. I'm sure there's more, but I don't know what they are called... :eyeroll:
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:42 pm

Heh. I could name a long list of bands that certain people on here would be irked with me for listing, but for now, I'll just call it screamo, scream-in-general, metal, hardcore, etc. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kkun » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:47 pm

It's not that anything is too heavy for me, it's that I eventually just start to find stuff laughable and cheesy. There's some stuff where they're trying so hard to be heavy and you can tell, and it just kind of makes me laugh.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:03 pm

I don't really find anything to heavy or loud but I do get bored of some death metal that sounds like mindless growling and burping. This is very few though. I do like alot of Black metal but my true love lies in Goth and Doom Metal.
Hitokiri

Postby beau99 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:16 pm

Metalcore in general.

Some Living Sacrifice is ok, but the majority of metalcore is just too heavy for me.
beau99

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:13 pm

dyzzispell wrote:Screamo and Goth. I'm sure there's more, but I don't know what they are called... :eyeroll:
Goth? What are you talking about? Gothic music is on the mellowest spectrum of rock. You watch the videos to Black Planet by The Sisters of Mercy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBaYStFvU5Q and Weak in my Knees by Clan of Xymox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVkonso4JBA and then tell me that's the heaviest stuff in the world. I would know, I broadcast this stuff online.
GhostontheNet

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:13 pm

GhostontheNet wrote:Goth? What are you talking about? Gothic music is on the mellowest spectrum of rock. You watch the videos to Black Planet by The Sisters of Mercy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBaYStFvU5Q and Weak in my Knees by Clan of Xymox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVkonso4JBA and then tell me that's the heaviest stuff in the world. I would know, I broadcast this stuff online.

She probably ment Gothic Metal... like Sirenia, Theatre of Tragedy, Tristania, Therion, and many of those other "Beauty and the Beast" bands... Still, goth metal is actually quite soft compared to other types (IMO at least). But she probably just doesn't like it...
Scarecrow

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:54 pm

Scarecrow wrote:She probably ment Gothic Metal... like Sirenia, Theatre of Tragedy, Tristania, Therion, and many of those other "Beauty and the Beast" bands... Still, goth metal is actually quite soft compared to other types (IMO at least). But she probably just doesn't like it...
That's just the thing, Gothic does not do screaching or screaming as its entire vocal base, but goes torwards the ethereal and haunting, as well as themes of romanticism. For this reason, Gothic metal tends to carry the most similarities with Progressive metal. Pretty much if you can't stomach Gothic metal for being too heavy, you just plain cannot handle heavy metal. Personally, I suspect she really meant the incoherent growling attack of the typewriters of Death Metal where romanticism is rather out of place (I think). Of course, horror themes have been an element of various styles of rock and roll ever since spooked Christians started to call it the music of the devil, and so they sarcastically acted like it was true, and as a result a lot of different music with horror themes gets confused as Gothic because the real Gothic music is in decline in the U.S. (as witnessed by the fact I get about 3 times more listeners from Germany than the U.S. on my little station).
GhostontheNet

Postby rurouninaruto » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:47 am

All death, black and goth metal is to hard for me.
rurouninaruto

Postby Zilch » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:50 pm

I'm with Hitokiri on the fact that nothing's really too hard, it just gets boring. The Chariot is one band that comes to mind, along with Mortification and Metanoia.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:07 pm

rurouninaruto wrote:All death, black and goth metal is to hard for me.
*Laments everything I just said with supporting evidence being totally ignored.
GhostontheNet

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:12 pm

Eh well, I used to find Gothic metal (with harsh vocals) to "hard" for me too... but I guess it wasn't that it was hard just that I hated the vocals!! Not the same thing...
Scarecrow

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:24 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Eh well, I used to find Gothic metal (with harsh vocals) to "hard" for me too... but I guess it wasn't that it was hard just that I hated the vocals!! Not the same thing...
I really think we're talking about really different music. The stuff I'm talking about is groups like Saviour Machine, Virgin Black, Visionaire, or groups that appear on the Asleep by Dawn compilation. Stuff like that. A gothic vocal is one that is ethereal and has a strange soothing yet haunting effect.
GhostontheNet

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:39 pm

GhostontheNet wrote:I really think we're talking about really different music. The stuff I'm talking about is groups like Saviour Machine, Virgin Black, Visionaire, or groups that appear on the Asleep by Dawn compilation. Stuff like that. A gothic vocal is one that is ethereal and has a strange soothing yet haunting effect.

To be honest, Ghost, I think they are just generalizing. No offense to those in question but I think they were just taking 3 genres they know are loud and heavy and putting it up. Now, I can't say 100% this is how it is, but I can guess that most people won't think Saviour Machine when putting "goth metal" down nor the more harder gothic metal bands down.

Because it's quote on quote gothic people apply it to being loud and freaky. I can stomach bands like Cannibal Corspe, Horsemen of the Apolocyspe, Behemoth, etc but barely.
Hitokiri

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:42 pm

Ooooh yea... ok I was talking stuff like [url=myspace.com/officialsireniaspace]Sirenia[/url], Tristania and old Theatre of Tragedy... and then softer stuff like Leaves' Eyes and such... alot of bands like Sirenia and Theatre of Tragedy have some harsh male vocals (not quite black metal stuff) mixed in with female, almost operatic vocals. They call them Beauty and the Beast bands cause they have "gruff" male vocals (beast) and beautiful siren vocals (beauty) and most beauty and the beast bands fall under Gothic metal. Leaves Eyes is actually more like Gothic rock but I dunno they call it metal still so whatever blows your hair back.
Scarecrow

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:56 pm

As long as the production is good enough so I can hear what's going on in the music, then it's not too heavy for me. The only stuff I will not listen to is poorly-produced brutal death metal (like Brodequin and early Crimson Thorn). It's nothing more than a muddy, indistinguishable mess that can hardly be called music.
Eric

Postby HondaTooru » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:00 pm

I've never hear the term "black metal" before.. You know, I used to be quite eclectic before I became a christian. But slowly, my tastes are changing and I'm weeding out all the hard stuff. I just can't listen to angry music like I used to.

Do you ever listen to sad songs because you are already sad and you just feel like crying your eyes out? I did that all the time when I was a teenager. And when I was angry about something, I wanted to listen to angry music.. But all that ever accomplishes is to fuel the fire. It doesn't do anything constructive for me.

So I guess my musical selection these days is more... well, cheesy. I just like music that will make me smile.
[align=center][align=left][color=Plum]Autumn アータム / Aki [/color] (I respond to both.) :angel:[color=MediumTurquoise][size=84]
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
[/color][/SIZE]- Ralph Waldo Emerson

[font=book antiqua][/font]
[color=PaleTurquoise]Friends, some of us have money and some of us have talent. All of us have blood [color=PaleTurquoise]and [/color]time.[/color]
Image Find your nearest blood donation center by clicking HERE.
[color=Plum]Image Sign up to find local volunteer[/color] opportunities HERE. Remember, volunteer opportunities have a wide range of time commitments. Even if you can only spare a few hours per month, there might be an organization out there who needs you!

[/align]
[/align]
HondaTooru

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:18 pm

Hitokiri wrote:To be honest, Ghost, I think they are just generalizing. No offense to those in question but I think they were just taking 3 genres they know are loud and heavy and putting it up. Now, I can't say 100% this is how it is, but I can guess that most people won't think Saviour Machine when putting "goth metal" down nor the more harder gothic metal bands down.
And there's where the decline of the real Gothic music comes in - in the void left by its decline people think gothic consists of wearing black and listening to the latest reincarnation of Alice Cooper style grotesque shock rock. These are people, as well as the people who react to them who could not utter a single sentence about the Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Sisters of Mercy, Clan of Xymox, Faith and the Muse, or anyone else. Why is Saviour Machine Gothic? Because they have the ethereal opera vocal of Eric Clayton and a general sense of dark romanticism laced into the music. For this reason, I say that Gothic Metal is closest to Progressive Metal.

Because it's quote on quote gothic people apply it to being loud and freaky. I can stomach bands like Cannibal Corspe, Horsemen of the Apolocyspe, Behemoth, etc but barely.
In the Gothic slang terms, this sort of "Goth" is generally given the mocking epithets of "Mallgoth", "Spooky Kid", or "Mansonite", coined after a habit of wearing black and listening to the latest incarnation of Alice Cooper style spooky shockingness. I wouldn't be making such a horrible fuss here, but after linking to the Sisters of Mercy and Clan of Xymox videos which are typical of both old school and modern Gothic music, calling it "too heavy" and equating it with the same style as Death Metal owes to wholesale laziness.
GhostontheNet

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:23 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Ooooh yea... ok I was talking stuff like [url=myspace.com/officialsireniaspace]Sirenia[/url], Tristania and old Theatre of Tragedy... and then softer stuff like Leaves' Eyes and such... alot of bands like Sirenia and Theatre of Tragedy have some harsh male vocals (not quite black metal stuff) mixed in with female, almost operatic vocals. They call them Beauty and the Beast bands cause they have "gruff" male vocals (beast) and beautiful siren vocals (beauty) and most beauty and the beast bands fall under Gothic metal. Leaves Eyes is actually more like Gothic rock but I dunno they call it metal still so whatever blows your hair back.

Ooh, those bands? *fan of Leaves' Eyes and likes Sirenia OK*...sometimes I hear them called 'gothic metal', but the phrases I hear most often for them is 'operatic(or something similar) metal" or "symphonic metal" or "orchestral metal".

The type of music Ghost is talking about is...more...synths and...I'm not even sure if it's really classified as metal. ^^; Hence the confusion...
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:33 pm

Actually, more appropriatly they would be called Symphonic Goth metal :P Symphonic metal just about spans every type of metal... cause I also love symphonic Power-metal (Nightwish and Epica!!!)... operatic is a sub-catergory of Symphonic metal :P ... Nightwish is also called operatic along with like Epica and such... where as Leaves' Eyes and Within Tempation is Symphonic and NOT operatic... I dunno it gets confusing so I just go by what the band calls themselves and the bands I listed concider themselves Gothic metal/rock...
Scarecrow

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:59 pm

[quote="MorwenLaicoriel"]Ooh, those bands? *fan of Leaves' Eyes and likes Sirenia OK*...sometimes I hear them called 'gothic metal', but the phrases I hear most often for them is 'operatic(or something similar) metal" or "symphonic metal" or "orchestral metal".

The type of music Ghost is talking about is...more...synths and...I'm not even sure if it's really classified as metal. ^^] It is true that in the modern Gothic music, there has been a heavy shift torwards reliance upon synthesizers as a major element. The old-school stuff meanwhile is more on the spectrum of what you would call post-punk music, being much more analog based than modern gothic. Among those more fond of the analog basis, the habit has been for this sort of Gothic music to update the older sound with heavy metal riffs closest to progressive metal with a romanticist flair. Saviour Machine is one example of this style, and is the present focus of our discussion, rather than electronic based Gothic.
GhostontheNet

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:35 pm

Ahh, gotcha. Okay. ^^ So there's a type of goth music that's heavy on synths, another type that's similar to progressive metal, and another type that's similar to old-school punk?
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:08 pm

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:Ahh, gotcha. Okay. ^^ So there's a type of goth music that's heavy on synths, another type that's similar to progressive metal, and another type that's similar to old-school punk?
In a nutshell, yes, with the vocals and the dark romantic "spooky swirls" as a consistent element throughout the entire spectrum of Gothic music. I will however qualify that Post-punk music is less of the angry energetic style that people tend to think of as punk, and more so a kind of softspoken appropriation of punk's themes in a much different sounding style. Examples of this on my station are tracks by Joy Division, the Bauhaus, and Siouxsie and the Banshees. For more info, I've posted a history of Gothic music in my Seraphim Radio thread, which gives video examples of the different types and themes (I even have one for the older punk).
GhostontheNet

Postby Shikyo_ko » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:28 pm

There is a difference between Gothic Metal and Goth Rock. As someone so wisly said, Goth Rock started with Bauhaus in the 80's. Others would include The Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Ghost Dance, Sketelal Family, Clan of Xymox, and many, many more.
^.^ Shikyo ko ^.^
Shikyo_ko

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:57 pm

No music is too "heavy" for me persay, but I don't like when Death Metal squeals sounds like a pig in an electric chair (Impending Doom, anyone?).
Tommy

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:24 pm

Well this is a rather old thread... :)
Eric

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Well, at least give a point, man.
You're just dealing further damage with comments like that. Well not really but the point is...
Well, there is no point.
I've seen 3-year-old threads get ressurected and this one is about 5 months old which truly is nothing.

To respond to the true topic I'll just restate what I said in a more enthusiastic style:

"BRING IT ON. THERE IS NO MUSIC TOO HEAVY FOR ME."
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Next

Return to Jam Session