What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Linksquest » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:58 pm

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin we heard on Booktape on our way down to Tennessee. I had read teh book before but the reader did a great job with voices and made it even more hilarious. A great book which I definately recommend!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby suribachi » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:01 pm

Recently read the Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, White) by Ted Dekker. Really cool books -- great plot twists. It's also really great the way he weaves two universes together.

I'm about to read Monster by Frank Peretti. I bought it the other day but haven't cracked it yet.
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father."
John 14:12
suribachi

Postby yukinon » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:03 pm

ack! I keep trying to find the last Circle book for my Dad for forever! (Long story short, I've been buying Christian fiction books for my Dad-a nonChristian, for a while with little result, but he LOVED the Circle trilogy. yay!)
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:14 am

Gnosis: The Nature and History of Gnosticism

It's very interesting, but slow reading.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Irish Druids And Old Irish Religions by JAmes Bonwick,published 1894.
Not all good books have to be new to be enjoyed.
mitsuki lover

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:06 pm

The Count of MOnte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kumagoro » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:25 pm

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews. It's classic trashy paperback literature.
Kumagoro

Postby termyt » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:13 am

Ronald Regan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader by Dinesh D'Souza.

The book offers excellent insight into one of the most influential and successful presidents in American history.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:11 pm

New Spring by Robert Jordan, the prologue to his Wheel of Time series.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby KBMaster » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:53 am

I'm reading A Christman Angel by Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer... in July. ;) It's a good read, but my mom and sister say it's too slow for them.
KBMaster

Postby BigZam » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:03 pm

just finished The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury (very good book by the way) and just started The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum.
gone for good...
BigZam

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:13 am

Grease Monkey by Tim Eldred

It's a graphic novel, but I'm listing it here because it's decent literature (if not one that takes itself terribly seriously) and it's actually taking me longer than some small novels. So far I've found it fairly amusing and I'm interested in the world that has been created.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:35 pm

Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time 7)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:22 pm

The Umbrella Man by Roald Dahl (SO funny)
Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert
Aka-chan

Postby RubyJewelStone » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:47 am

I'm probably going to start on The Lord of the Rings real soon.
I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone. I believe in God even when he is silent.
~Author Unknown
RubyJewelStone

Postby ShadowCat » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:44 am

Posts >.>
ShadowCat

Postby Kaori » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:02 pm

I recently finished The Kingdom of God is Within You by Leo Tolstoy. Despite my frequent disagreements with the author, he also has many good points, and his use of metaphor is brilliant.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby suribachi » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:27 pm

I just got through reading Monster by Frank Peretti. Very entertaining and fast moving with a pretty good plot twist. Almost as good as The Oath.
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father."
suribachi

Postby yukinon » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:48 am

I just bought my dad the book "Obsession" by Dekker. Any opinions on it?
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:08 am

Dark Saber- Kevin J. Anderson
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Bunny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:03 pm

The God of Small Things- Arundahti Roy. It's beautiful in the way that makes you want to read it very slowly to let it all settle in. Almost like poetry in prose. I adore it.
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:38 pm

Utopia by Sir Thomas More.....
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:43 pm

God's Healing Strategy by Ted Grimsrud
God's Shalom Project by Bernhard Ott

Oddly enough, my reading as of late has been dominated by work-related books. Both of these are very similar titles that look at the entire Bible as a story of God's work with humanity in order to give readers a broader context. I'm too familiar with the concept for them to be very useful personally, but I am reading them for other purposes.

In any case, I have completed the former and I am about half-way through the latter. Hopefully, I will be able to begin some personal reading within a few days.
uc pseudonym

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:19 pm

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Azier the Swordsman

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:46 pm

At the very beginning of summer I put in an interlibrary loan request for The Man who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton. Generally I get a copy of the book in two to three days... and I am only now receiving this one. Maybe it got left lying around, or maybe it was simply difficult to find. In any case, I should be able to begin it soon.
uc pseudonym

Postby suribachi » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:55 pm

yukinon wrote:I just bought my dad the book "Obsession" by Dekker. Any opinions on it?

Haven't read that but The Circle Trilogy was great. I read it recently and want to pick up some of his other stuff.
suribachi

Postby Locke » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:33 pm

Finished 1984 and starting The Adventures Of Huckleberry Fin tomorrow.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby RobinSena » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:59 pm

Starship Troopers.. =)
RobinSena

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:21 pm

Being A Green Mother the second to last in the Incarnations of Immortality series.
Though there is also a one off novel that acts as sort of a sequel to the others.
mitsuki lover

Postby suribachi » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:12 pm

The Rising Sun by John Toland
suribachi

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner