What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Linksquest » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:38 pm

While I am reading The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury (Which I am really liking!) I am also reading Dare to Dream by John C. Maxwell. Seniors, like me, from our church who graduated this year received Dare to Dream as a gift from the youth pastors. It's pretty good, but Maxwell seems to quote from other people's works or other people rather than make many statements of his own. It's an interesting book promoting the dreaming of dreams and then doing what you need to, to make them come true. It's inspirational, I suppose, :lol: We'll see at the end how truly inspired I am.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby yukinon » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:23 pm

I've been meaning to read Coraline for a while. Alas, I am currently reading The Redemption of Althalus. I have a friend who loves the Sandman series so Coraline definitely caught my eye.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Doe Johnson » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:31 am

Black by Ted Dekker
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby fairyprincess90 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:07 pm

im in the middle of reading... the screw-tape letters and this other book that i forget whut its called... lol

[color="Magenta"]www.bethmarie.org[/color]

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]My ♥ belongs to TimothyMichael[/SIZE][/color]
fairyprincess90

Postby Sai » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:22 am

I'm reading this book called "Tender is the Night" by F Scott Fitzgerald. I dont think i like it though.. I have taken some moral issues with it.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby Eastkun » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:57 pm

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis. (The last Narnia book.)
Banned by my own request.
Eastkun

Postby SP1 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:36 pm

Just finished Gifts, by Ursula K. LeGuin.

Starting Dreams, God's Forgotten Language by John A. Sanford.

SP1
"Those who believe will be saved...so they say. Get it?"
Sister Rosette Christopher

Sorry ladies, already married to HitomiYuriko , but it took both our efforts to come up with daughter Althaia

Please use the Haibane Renmei Lesson Plan

MOES: Can't scroll this.
SP1

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:14 pm

Just finished Terry Pratchett's Mort.

Currently working on George Orwell's 1984 with Pratchett's Sourcery on the side.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby yukinon » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:50 am

1984 is a wonderful and disturbing book. I like Fahrenheit 451 quite a bit better.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Technomancer » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:42 am

I've just finished The Ape in the Tree: A Natural and Intellectual History of Proconsul; it's a great piece of science writing.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:24 pm

I have been reading significant portions of How to Read the Bible for All it's Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stewert. This is actually for the research position I'm currently in because I'll need to condense some of their information in to a much smaller article. Though I enjoyed what I have read it is material a few levels lower than what I am currently studying, but I would urge anyone beginning to study the Bible seriously to at least look at it.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:32 pm

I've decided to re-read Shusaku Endo's Silence. Slow start so far from my side, but after that I'm tackling Crime and Punishment.
bigsleepj

Postby termyt » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:57 am

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell.

Very... thought provoking. I love a good book that makes you think about the way you think about things. A great read for anyone out there who is already a "believer" and trying to figure out what it means to be a "disciple." Becoming a believer takes a decision that can be made in a moment. Becoming a disciple requires a lifetime of learning.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Arnobius » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:57 am

I've recently read Karl Barth's "The Church and the Churches" and "The Call of Discipleship" and found myself impressed by his insights. I don't agree with everything he says, but I think much of it is at least worth pondering.

Currently working my way through volume 1 of "The Ante-Nicene Fathers" and am going to start "The Meaning of Tradition" by Yves Congar, O.P.
Arnobius

Postby Eastkun » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:46 pm

I still need to finish the Last Battle. I would have finished by now, but I got off track.
Banned by my own request.
Eastkun

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:20 pm

I need some good easy light reading for summer.My mind wonders too much for me to concentrate on anything overly serious.

btw:It seems Hitler's name sells books.When I was at Barnes & Nobles I found two books that had Hitler in the title one was Women And Hitler about Hilter's love life
and the other was Hitler's Scientists.And several months back they had Hitler's
Renegades.
mitsuki lover

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:14 pm

Proven Guilty, again.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Steeltemplar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:55 am

An Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales

This book has been recommended to me before, most recently by a Priest who I have been used to seeing regularly for confession. So far in my reading, de Sales has been addressing the nature of devotion to God and the excellence of such a life. His writing and theological reasoning are both impressive.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Linksquest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:05 pm

A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury (originally Titled The Golden Apples of the Sun) Another great collection of short stories by the grandmaster of storytelling. I am really enjoying these stories.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:45 pm

I read some out of Bullfinch's Mythology:The Age of Fables today.
mitsuki lover

Postby TurkishMonky » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:42 pm

just finished reading Thr3e. good book.
TurkishMonky

Postby chimera189 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Just finished book three of the Legend of Drizzt, starting on The Crystal Shard tomorrow
Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Charles Spurgeon
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details. Albert Einstien
Luke 23:39-43; "And it also makes me smile to think that there is a grinning ex-con walking the streets of gold that knows more about grace than a thousand theologans. No one else would have given him a prayer, but in the end that is all he had, and in the end that is all it took." -Max Lucado

[url=myspace.com/chimera189]myspace[/url]
chimera189

Postby Arnobius » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:06 pm

Finished several books including those mentioned earlier and CS Lewis' "The Great Divorce" and Pope Benedict XVI's Christianity and the Crisis of Cultures. Trying to work my way through St Anselm's "Basic Writings" and start Jaroslav Pelikan's "The Christian Tradition Volume 1"
Arnobius

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:10 pm

Rereading Frank Herbert's Dune. Such a good book.
Aka-chan

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:50 pm

Just finished Candide by Voltaire.....I don't recommend it....it was horrid and utterly distasteful!
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Rachel » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:06 pm

The Client by John Grisham. It's really good.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 pm

The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three. I've discovered lately that I get through books quicker if I only read one at a time. Gee, who'd have thought it?
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 pm

Aka-chan wrote:Rereading Frank Herbert's Dune. Such a good book.

Really? Coolness! I bought that one at a book fair a couple of weeks back. I should probably have a go at it once I've finished Equal Rites (yet another Discworld book)
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:53 pm

I tried reading Dune when I was in high school,it was tough going for me.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kumagoro » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:49 am

The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love. It's a really funny book about women in the South putting on potato parades. It's based on true events, and the author uses the pseudonym "Tammy" for all the girls. It's a laugh riot! :lol:
Kumagoro

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner