A couple of titles..

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

A couple of titles..

Postby KBMaster » Wed May 31, 2006 6:14 am

Okay, there are a couple of titles that I want to check out. The first is xxxHolic; I searched for this title in the forums, but found nothing on content. Only guesses and discussions on the first volume. And could someone PLEASE tell me what's up with the name?! My mom is already wary of manga, I don't want her to think I'm reading a hentai title!
The second is Aria- I've heard that the only objectionable content was some light swearing, but this was a while ago and things sometime take a turn for the worse. My library actually has this one(yay for me!), so any help would be appreciated regarding the content of these mangas. Also can someone give me a plot synopsis? All I've basically seen are the covers. :sweat:
KBMaster

Postby Technomancer » Wed May 31, 2006 7:56 am

I've read some volumes of XXXHolic. While I still haven't figured out the reason for the name, I can definately tell you that it isn't hentai. The general plotline is as follows: A high school student who can both see and (unwillingly) attract spirits stumbles upon the home of a witch (the space-time witch to be exact). He ends up making a deal with her that she will remove his spirit problem, and in exchange he will do the cooking and cleaning in order to save up enough to purchase her services. Various adventures ensue.

You should also note that this series is meant to run parallel with 'Tsubasa', and there is some (fairly minimal) interaction between the series.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mechana2015 » Wed May 31, 2006 9:24 am

I own this series through the first 6 books, still don't know why it has that name, but havn't seen anything objectionable in it, except for alcahol consumption. It has very stylized pretty art and a fun storyline. If it helps most people just call it "holic".

Clamp seems to like the letter X for the names of their manga...

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Ashley » Wed May 31, 2006 11:45 am

I gave up on Aria after volume 2. The art was gorgeous, to be sure, but I actually fell asleep reading volume 1. It was just so...quiet....I think the most exciting chapter was a day trip to some island. I would save the cash for smething that's got good art AND story (cough Full Moon cough *wink wink*)
Ashley

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed May 31, 2006 11:53 am

Just to clear the "xxx" thing up, well for those who've read the manga/watched the anime, most of Yuuko's clients have addictions (holic), so the "xxx" just stands for a ___ (blank) to sort of fill in. Yeah I'm bad at explaining things, but hope you understand what I mean^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Aka-chan » Wed May 31, 2006 2:15 pm

I prefer Tsubasa over xXxholic, though the art is gorgeous and the story isn't badly done. Some people are bothered by the witchcraft element, though, and it does get increasingly dark and serious as the series goes on. Others treat it as simply fantasy, so most of it seems to depend on what affects you. I liked it at the beginning but was rather turned off by the witchcraft and such, but I have other (Christian) friends who still read it avidly.
Aka-chan

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed May 31, 2006 2:18 pm

Aka-chan wrote: I liked it at the beginning but was rather turned off by the witchcraft and such, but I have other (Christian) friends who still read it avidly.

I follow along by the anime and it's very true that there are tons of spiritual elements in it. But I really enjoy the plots and sort of morals that they put out on some of the stories. Plus I really like Yuuko's character^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed May 31, 2006 2:58 pm

I have three volumes of Aria... haven't found numbver four yet though... nothing more than light swearing in volume three. ADV gave it there "all ages" rating. It has good and and an AWSOME story, thank you very much XD. Okay, a good story, but... whatever.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby KBMaster » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:55 am

Ashley wrote:I gave up on Aria after volume 2. The art was gorgeous, to be sure, but I actually fell asleep reading volume 1. It was just so...quiet....I think the most exciting chapter was a day trip to some island. I would save the cash for smething that's got good art AND story (cough Full Moon cough *wink wink*)

Heehee, but I AM saving up for Full Moon! And I don't have any money, so I can't buy it anyway; but I can get it from my library. I'll have to order it after I get by other 5 books.
Ohh, thanks Tenshi no Ai! That does make sense. Maybe I'll spend the day at B&N someday and see if I like it. Thanks for all your replies!
KBMaster

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:58 pm

mechana2015 wrote: but havn't seen anything objectionable in it, except for alcahol consumption. It has very stylized pretty art and a fun storyline. If it helps most people just call it "holic".

Hey, you gotta love it how the lady slings the booze. ;)
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:08 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Just to clear the "xxx" thing up, well for those who've read the manga/watched the anime, most of Yuuko's clients have addictions (holic), so the "xxx" just stands for a ___ (blank) to sort of fill in. Yeah I'm bad at explaining things, but hope you understand what I mean^^

I thought you explained it well. :) The title makes more sense if you've seen the movie since it's all about people being obsessed about collecting things (and these people are "holics" according to one of the characters in the movie).

Plus you have to remember that if it's a title in English it probably has to do with how the letters look to Japanese people (if they think the letters look cool). Personally I can't decide how to pronounce xxxHolic. It's feels dumb saying x-x-x Holic. ThreeXHolic? :lol:

Anyway, I've been watching the anime for xxxHolic and I'd agree with what everyone else has said so far. :thumb:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm lazy and tend to only say "ex-ex-holic" XD
Ashley

Postby PrincessZelda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:44 pm

Well, I've read the first two volumes of XXXholic. I kind of liked it. It wasn't at all hentai or anything. >_> The only problem I had with it was that one of the main characters is a witch, which normally doesn't bother me, and she summoned spirits and such. Which, is kind of creepy, and the kind of magic I usually stay away from. *Shrugs*

Other than that, I don't think there was much else that would be questional in it... There might have been some swearing, but probably not much if there was since I don't really remember O_O
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:49 pm

PrincessZelda wrote:Other than that, I don't think there was much else that would be questional in it... There might have been some swearing, but probably not much if there was since I don't really remember O_O

Yeah, there's not too much of the other stuff. Light swearing, sure. Violence? A little, but not really the one where you'd see much blood (or even any really!) With sexuality, at least on the anime I think a comment or so was made, but that's about it (and Yuuko can be suggestive to, with her clothing and all). Also Yuuko likes to drink... quite a bit and smokes from her pipe every now and then (why else would their be trancy wave images on the front cover on the manga?)
Tenshi no Ai

Postby PrincessZelda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:56 pm

Oh yeah, I gorget about stuff like that sometimes because it doesn't bother me that much... >_<

But yeah, there's that stuff, too.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews