What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby bigsleepj » Tue May 16, 2006 11:57 pm

Kaori wrote:The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton. I read it in one night (it was quite a page-turner) but will probably be mulling over it for a few more days.

In case you're interested I'm currently leading a study of The Man who was Thursday on a CS Lewis forum called "The Wardrobe". You don't have to join in but you can at least look over our notes. :grin:

Thursday
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed May 17, 2006 7:53 pm

Currently, I'm reading DragonQuest, by Donita K. Paul. It's been really good so far, I'm getting nearer to the end of the book. I can't wait till June 20th, that's when DragonKnight is released!

Also, in school, I'm reading Our Town. It's good, but incredibly sad! I read the 3rd act the other night, and nearly cried...It was so depressing! :waah!: It is a good book/play, though. :)
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon May 22, 2006 12:04 pm

I found an interesting book on the history of druidism in ireland but didn't check it out.
mitsuki lover

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon May 22, 2006 1:10 pm

I am reading House and enjoying it so far
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Icarus » Mon May 22, 2006 3:02 pm

X3: The Last Stand.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Kaori » Mon May 22, 2006 6:36 pm

The Wood Beyond the World, by William Morris. The story is deliberately medieval in style, but more so in the narrative voice and word-choice than in the plot itself, though it does share some motifs with medieval romance, like the evil dwarf. My roommate had the good sense to own the Dover Edition , which is a facsimile of the very lovely Kelmscott edition printed by the author in 1894.

I have read Cloud of Witness, by Dorothy Sayers, and am working my way through her Lord Peter (the collected stories). I'm not much of a fan of mysteries, but the author's wit makes her not bad reading.

Carmen and Other Stories
, by Prosper Mérimée. Mérimée seems to be one of the early practitioners of the short story; these seemed readable but not terribly noteworthy.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Arnobius » Mon May 22, 2006 6:59 pm

CS Lewis' Mere Christianity
Arnobius

Postby Technomancer » Tue May 23, 2006 8:39 am

Anti-Intellectualism in American Life by Richard Hofstadter

"...These exhibits, though their sources and intentions are various, collectively display the ideal assumptions of anti-intellectualism. Intellectuals, it may be held, are pretentious, conceited, effeminate, and snobbish; and very likely immoral, dangerous and subversive. The plain sense of the common man, especially if tested by success in some demanding line of practical work, is an altogether adequate substitute for, if not actually superior to, formal knowledge acquired in the schools."

So far it's quite interesting and appears to be quite relevant to contemporary politics and culture.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby yukinon » Tue May 23, 2006 7:28 pm

I think we need a good bit of both common sense and intellect.

Sounds incredibly interesting.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby VashTheStampede » Wed May 24, 2006 11:44 am

"Timeline" by Michael Crichton
(the book is great, the movie isn't) :\
I felt Your hands move mine aside, as those nails were driven down [[color=Gold]†][/color]
"There is a time for everything. A season for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

~Do not have feelings of animosity and resentment towards the depressing times in your life, but turn to God in praise for the days He gives you. Along with the times of joy He blesses you with, also come the times of hardship. For how can one reach for the stars without darkness?~

"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21

"And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)

Digitally Imported Radio<-~-~Love Techno?~:cool:
Myspace!<--PM me for info if you wanna add me:sweat:
VashTheStampede

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed May 24, 2006 11:56 am

A mix of titles, old and new:
1) The Meditations by Emperor Marcus Aurelius
2) Pater by Marius the Epicurean
3) Hermotimus, or the Rival Philosophies and Icaromenippus, an Aerial Expedition both by Lucian the Cynic
4) Paul's Idea of Community by Robert Banks
5) Various writings of Justin Martyr

I am still working through #1 but enjoying it very much; it is very direct and practical philosophy. After reading a fair bit of #2 I believe I will discard it - if anyone has read this and thinks there are better things to come, tell me. #3 I have just barely started, but I like Lucian's variety of skepticism. #4 is a recommendation from a professor of mine that I am only just now getting around to read. I picked up a compliation that is #5 and plan to read all of them after #3.

Unfortunately, I discovered I can't get The Man Who Was Thursday immediately, so I'll have to get it via interlibrary loan. That means I will be unable to read it while on my trip.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Sun May 28, 2006 5:35 am

I am currently reading:
The Unyielding Clamour of the Night by Neil Bissoondath

I'm also working through:
The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby yukinon » Sun May 28, 2006 9:32 am

I am currently reading "Rurouni Kenshin Profiles" and "Rabbits for Dummies", neither of which count as real books.

I'm waiting for my boyfriend to lend me "Redemption of Althalus". We're doing a book exchange thing for a month.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Linksquest » Sun May 28, 2006 10:22 am

Still finishing off The Phantom Tollbooth, and now I am starting Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby yukinon » Sun May 28, 2006 12:08 pm

Phantom Tollbooth! 'tis the second book I'm having the boy read.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby SnoringFrog » Sun May 28, 2006 4:13 pm

A Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 28, 2006 7:51 pm

Cardinal Henry Hewman: Apologia pro vita sua

Loved Phantom Tollbooth btw... loved the awful puns
Arnobius

Postby Linksquest » Sun May 28, 2006 8:06 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Cardinal Henry Hewman: Apologia pro vita sua

Loved Phantom Tollbooth btw... loved the awful puns

YES! Rofl... jumping to conclusions, XD
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 28, 2006 8:37 pm

Linksquest wrote:YES! Rofl... jumping to conclusions, XD

"It goes without saying!"
Arnobius

Postby Debitt » Sun May 28, 2006 9:02 pm

Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

....freaking awesome book. <3

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 31, 2006 2:53 am

90 minutes in heaven
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Doe Johnson » Wed May 31, 2006 11:08 am

Thr3e by Ted Dekker
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Technomancer » Wed May 31, 2006 8:06 pm

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Wed May 31, 2006 8:08 pm

Two things:
Samurai William by Giles Milton
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 31, 2006 8:10 pm

Phantom_Sorano wrote:Two things:
Samurai William by Giles Milton
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

I read Samurai William. Pretty good book. I enjoyed it much more than Shogun which was very loosely based on the character
Arnobius

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed May 31, 2006 8:21 pm

The Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett. It took a while to really get into it, but then I ended up plowing through two-hundred plus pages in a day. I really appreciate how there seems to be something deeper lurking under the surface of all the spoofing and mayhem in the Discworld books.

I think it also helps that Greebo, Nanny Ogg and Dwarf-bread had me giggling hysterically.

Need more Discworld books NOW O_O
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Kaori » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:07 pm

Sons and Lovers, by D. H. Lawrence. The book reads like a study of all the best ways to ruin a relationship, but Lawrence is a masterful writer, despite his overwhelming pessimism.

The Violent Bear it Away, by Flannery O'Connor. A simply marvelous book.

By the way, Bigsleepj, I neglected to mention this the last time I posted here, but I did wander over to your Lewis forum to read some of the discussion on The Man who was Thursday. Some of the background information was very helpful--particularly the quotes from Chesterton himself.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:21 am

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:32 pm

I'm reading bits and parts of The Highland Clans by Moncrieffe of that Ilk and
David Hicks(1967).
mitsuki lover

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:34 pm

I finished today Fyodr Dostovesky's Notes from Underground, positively one of the most difficult books I've read, but very good. I've also read (began and finished) Neil Gaiman's Coraline which I enjoyed immensely. Quite a productive reading day.
bigsleepj

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner