What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:22 pm

I've currently begun Dostoevsky's "Notes from Underground" which is pretty fascinating so far.
bigsleepj

Postby Artist4Jesus89 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:57 am

The purpose driven life
Artist4Jesus89

Postby A Cup of No » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:20 pm

A commentary on Romans by Thomas R. Schreiner.
I'm a ninja. :eyeroll:
A Cup of No

Postby Kaori » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:59 pm

"Everyman" and "The Second Shepherd's Play," some excerpts from medieval mystics.

Gilead
did turn out to have a progression that didn't become apparent until later in the novel. Overall, it's a beautiful book, and I particularly appreciated the author's treatment of the themes of mercy and forgiveness.

bigsleepj wrote:I've currently begun Dostoevsky's "Notes from Underground" which is pretty fascinating so far.

I love that book.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:36 pm

The Great Hunt, the second book in Robert Jordan's The Wheel of TIme series, very good book, as was The Eye of the WOrld.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 02, 2006 1:56 pm

Remember the Future: The Pastoral Theology of Paul the Apostle by Jacob Elias
Paul and the Roman House Churches by Reta Finger

Oddly, I am reading these not for general theological learning, but as preparation for an action-adventure story I am going to write. It's an interesting story.
uc pseudonym

Postby MomoAdachi » Tue May 02, 2006 2:50 pm

-Kamikaze Girls novel by Novala Takemoto :cool:
-Sweet Valley High #57: Teacher Crush by Francine Pascal/Kate William :eh: :red:
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby bigsleepj » Wed May 03, 2006 12:12 am

Notes from Underground by Fyodr Dostoevsky, everyone's favourite Russian Orthodox existentialist. The book is very intriguing but very difficult.
bigsleepj

Postby DrNic » Wed May 03, 2006 1:20 am

Catch 22 on and off. It takes me forever to get through big books :D
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 08, 2006 9:14 am

The Last Temptation by Neil Gaiman
The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

I picked up the former purely based on the author, and I enjoyed it. Much shorter than I expected, however. The latter, of course, has been on my reading list for some time. I have only begun it, because my copy has a fair amount of historical context I thought worth reading.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Mon May 08, 2006 9:33 am

I've just finished "The Guns of Normandy" by George Blackburn, which is a personal account of the Canadian campaign in Normandy.

Right now, I'm reading Hal Duncan's novel "Vellum"
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Icarus » Mon May 08, 2006 12:19 pm

Bought and read Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher last night. Best book of the Desden Files so far.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Linksquest » Mon May 08, 2006 12:21 pm

Icarus wrote:Bought and read Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher last night. Best book of the Desden Files so far.

Whoa... you read it in one night? Impressive!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Doe Johnson » Tue May 09, 2006 1:34 pm

I recently finished February Shadows (Februarschatten) by Elisabeth Reichart. For some reason I enjoyed it, there was just something about the flow of the words that I liked - or maybe it was that false comforting feeling you get when you're starting to get depressed. *grumbles about depressing German books*

I've checked out The Scarlet Gang of Asakusa by Yasunari Kawabata, but I haven't started it yet so don't really know what it's about.

The last book I started is Beyond the Curve by Kobo Abe. I would just like to suggest to you all, if you ever find a dead person in your apartment, don't try to hide it from people thinking you're being framed and someone is after you. Really, just run to the nearest phone and call for help - maybe go to the house of a neighbor you trust.

Those are the only two translated Japanese books my library has, so I couldn't really choose from a wide variety of topics.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Icarus » Tue May 09, 2006 2:15 pm

Linksquest wrote:Whoa... you read it in one night? Impressive!

I'm nocturnal and a fan of the series.

I'm rereading it now.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue May 09, 2006 2:21 pm

Finished Jonathan Kellerman's Gone. Graphic and disturbing whodunnit. Avoid.

Now starting Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicles.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby TurkishMonky » Tue May 09, 2006 4:50 pm

Just finished House by Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti
I've also been reading bits and pieces of 1984, but since i don't have it, dunno if that counts.
TurkishMonky

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu May 11, 2006 12:10 pm

I just checked out The History of Pirates from the library and plan on reading it soon.sorry no Monkey D. Luffy.
mitsuki lover

Postby yukinon » Thu May 11, 2006 4:44 pm

1984...should definitely be read. Just to understand cultural references and to have good material for future college papers.

But Fahrenheit 451 is way better.

I'm still reading Banner in the Sky. It's about mountain climbing!
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Kaori » Thu May 11, 2006 8:24 pm

Children of Morrow by H. M. Hoover

Fool's Run by Patricia McKillip. After having read a few of her books, some of the characters begin to resemble each other. Besides that, it wasn't a bad read.

The Practice of the Presence of God
, by Brother Lawrence, and his Spiritual Maxims.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Gypsy » Thu May 11, 2006 10:16 pm

Chayatocha by Shane Johnson - Christian sci-fi horrorish, very cool so far.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 12, 2006 12:51 pm

.hack AI Buster 2

Yes, this is one of the .hack novels published by Tokyopop. I picked it up because it was at the library and was overall disappointed. The writing was sub-par and of the parts of the .hack story that I understand, it really didn't add all that much. Furthermore, I finished the entire thing in only slightly more time than it would generally take me to finish a graphic novel.
uc pseudonym

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri May 12, 2006 2:39 pm

The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus

This is an awesome book. I am very much on board with the message in this book. Go pick it up, you can finish it over lunch (it's small).

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri May 12, 2006 9:43 pm

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston

It's a nonfiction book that tells about the Ebola virus. Very interesting. Preston's other nonfiction book The Demon in the Freezer, which deals with smallpox, is also a very intruiging book and a great read.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
SnoringFrog

Postby Kaori » Sun May 14, 2006 9:42 pm

The Mabinogion

The Rains of Eridan, by H. M. Hoover. While she isn't the most spectacular writer I've read, Hoover's novels are relationally driven without being romantic, which is refreshing.

Mind Wide Open, by Steven Johnson. This book probably won't have any new information for persons already familiar with the field of neuroscience--as a book meant for the general public, it's fairly non-technical and uses a somewhat conversational narrative style.

MAL
Kaori

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon May 15, 2006 12:25 pm

I was going to check out Puddnhead Wilson today but I decided not to.
mitsuki lover

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue May 16, 2006 1:05 pm

...The DaVinci Code

Yes, I've sold out to the mob.

I figure it's difficult to effectively protest something without prior knowledge, plus I'm worried about my non-Christian friends that have been expressing interest in the movie. So I am now reading it. It's actually not a bad read thus far, and I'm a total art history geek with a lifelong goal to visit the Louvre, so the setting is fascinating.

I keep feeling incredibly defensive and critical towards the book though, and I keep chasing down my family to discuss the slightest inaccuracy ^^;
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Kaori » Tue May 16, 2006 3:06 pm

The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton. I read it in one night (it was quite a page-turner) but will probably be mulling over it for a few more days.

MAL
Kaori

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue May 16, 2006 3:41 pm

I'm currently reading "I Am Spock" by the great Leonard Nimoy. It's a retraction to his book "I Am Not Spock" he wrote in the 70's after Star Trek ended.

I guess he finally gave in to the fact that he will forever be attached to our pointy eared, alien friend.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby SnoringFrog » Tue May 16, 2006 3:47 pm

The CObra Event by RIchard Preston. It's a fiction book, unlike his last two I read. The Demon in the Freezer and The Hot Zone and so far, I don't think it's quite as good, since the disease may or may not be a real one (I don't know yet, it hasn't been named where I am in the book.)
SnoringFrog

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner