Death Note...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Death Note...

Postby Tarnish » Sat May 06, 2006 7:47 pm

After watching the trailer for the movie being based on the manga "Death Note", I've gotten pretty interested in reading it.

I've wanted to read it for a while, but I'm a little hesitant ^^;;

How bad is the violence and language? I can take a moderate amount of gore (not happily, mind you...), and an above-average level of swearing.

I would also like to know how many volumes there are before I start shelling out the money for an 100+ volume series or something...

If anyone could answer these questions, it would be much obliged. ^^
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Debitt » Sat May 06, 2006 8:08 pm

Death Note is currently 11 volumes - I'm not sure if vol. 11 is the last tankouban that's going to be released, but the series is drawing to an end, so if 11 isn't the last one, then there can't be much more after that. =3

Language and gore aren't prevalent at all in the series. Aside from the sometimes grotesque appearance of the shinigami and a few curses here and there, it's a fairly clean series. I believe that some people might take offence to the views of death presented in the manga, and THAT plays a very large role in the plot, however.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Tarnish » Sat May 06, 2006 8:17 pm

Thanks! It doesn't sound that bad (The OT rating kinda scared me off...I've been shocked at what some of them can get away with O__o). I'll get the first volume as soon as I get payed!
i draw things

Tarnish

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun May 07, 2006 8:19 am

I'm pretty sure there will be 12 volumes ^^ I also second Death Note! It's a very deep, intellectual series. The only thing that might bother you is that Light has a God-complex. Viz translates it differently though. He instead says that he'll reign over his new world. Some fans are annoyed by this because it's an important part of Light's arrogant character, but it was a pretty good move on Viz's part because of our culture. I can understand why they did it.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Linksquest » Sun May 07, 2006 9:09 am

I am starting to read it... but have only read the first chapter *fails* MSP will be posting here soon as Death Note has become one of his latest obsessions.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 07, 2006 11:04 am

I recently finished it. Be prepared to think a lot. The story gets VERY logical and it starts racking your brain with cause//effect situations. And tons and tons of hypothetics. It hurts my brain O.o
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tarnish » Sun May 07, 2006 12:09 pm

It just sounds better and better XD
Thanks for all of your help.
i draw things

Tarnish

Postby Aka-chan » Fri May 12, 2006 9:56 am

I would recommend it to older teens only because of the intellectual factors in the story. Younger kids just wouldn't get it. (Be prepared to read a LOT of dialogue--but useful dialogue!) As the others have said, it's pretty clean overall, and definitely fascinating enough to be worth it.
Aka-chan

Postby Tarnish » Fri May 12, 2006 10:00 am

I bought the first volume not too long ago...and I'm buying the rest today!
Dunno what it is about the series...but I really, really like it so far...
i draw things

Tarnish

Postby That Dude » Fri May 12, 2006 1:21 pm

The art is also very very well done. Some of the best art I've ever seen in any manga.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Kawaiikneko » Fri May 12, 2006 1:22 pm

Yeah its just REALLY REALLY good all over, isn't it XD
Kawaiikneko

Postby That Dude » Fri May 12, 2006 7:03 pm

Pretty much K-neko...It's definately one of the best manga that I've ever read and I've read more than my fair share.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews