How many manga volumes for Full Metal Alchemist?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

How many manga volumes for Full Metal Alchemist?

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 am

Just picked up volume 1 today. It was great. In many ways I enjoyed it more than the anime (faster paced or something?), but some of the emotional scenes weren't as strong as the anime. I've only seen volume 1 of the anime (going to wait for the boxset to come out) so I guess I don't have much 'to go on.'

How many volumes are there for the manga? I hope it's not like 25+.
Thanks!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 05, 2006 10:44 am

The Fullmetal Alchemist manga is still running. Right now there are about 13 volumes out in Japan and there is a new chapter every month. I personally think the series is past the half-way done point, so it is likely there won't be 25+ volumes. However, it also isn't very close to finished, either.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri May 05, 2006 11:00 am

Wow, I thought that manga was long done by now :/ Maybe that's why a lot of people dind't like the anime ending (although I haven't seen it yet): yet another "bad" ending due to the manga not even being finished.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat May 06, 2006 12:56 pm

About 3/5 of the way through the anime the plot begins to diverge immensely. I dislike this partially because the anime drug out what in the manga is an effective and tight plot arc over many episodes. The quality was worse and then things went in an odd direction from there. I don't particularly mind how they ended it, but as we learn more about the manga I am liking that version much better.
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat May 06, 2006 5:46 pm

Okay, thanks. UC that's strange. I've heard many people say the manga is superior to the anime and then you get the occasional person who thought the anime was better until it hit episode 27 or something. Hmmm...
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat May 06, 2006 9:08 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Okay, thanks. UC that's strange. I've heard many people say the manga is superior to the anime and then you get the occasional person who thought the anime was better until it hit episode 27 or something. Hmmm...

They're right. The first part of the anime follows the manga pretty closely, but actually improves on a lot of parts. Once the plots split off, however, the manga is vastly superior. The anime is just a depressingly negative and dark story filled with plot holes and an awful ending, while cinematically good, fails on all accounts.
Joshua Christopher

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 08, 2006 9:13 am

Hm. I'm curious about your opinion here: what aspects did you think were improvements? I haven't given this any thought, because there was a period of quite some time between when I read that part of the manga and when I watched the anime.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tommy » Mon May 08, 2006 12:34 pm

I agree with Joshua Christopher halfway through. His opinion on the anime differs from mine. While I agree the manga is superior and the anime was a desperate attempt to finish off the series, I did enjoy the ending myself, but yes, there WERE WAY too many plot holes for my own good.
Tommy

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon May 08, 2006 4:09 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Hm. I'm curious about your opinion here: what aspects did you think were improvements? I haven't given this any thought, because there was a period of quite some time between when I read that part of the manga and when I watched the anime.

It's been quite a while since I've read it, but I'll just talk about the first thing that comes to mind. I think the way Edward's character develops in the manga was much more pleasing.

[spoiler]While watching the anime, Ed just seemed to get darker and darker towards the end, while they tried to pass it off as becoming "stronger" or something. It was just way too negative. I know the homunculi were all bad people and whatnot, but Sloth being his mother... and then killing her. And in the final episode when Envy kept changing into his friends and all that, he was too angsty and seemingly didn't care too much. It's a matter of opinion.

While reading the manga, it seemed like Ed's character development was much more positive and uplifting. During the manga it seemed like a young man was growing up and becoming a better person. The anime just seemed overly dark when it came to that aspect.[/spoiler]
Joshua Christopher

Postby bigsleepj » Tue May 09, 2006 6:25 am

I've read up to chapter 55 of the manga of FMA and I'd most likely be finished with the anime by the end of the week. So far I prefer the manga above the anime, but the anime isn't a total waste and has several plus points on its own.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue May 09, 2006 6:56 am

Chapter 55? J, do you mean there are 55 manga or something else entirely?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Tue May 09, 2006 7:16 am

Well, there are volumes, so there are about 4 - 5 chapters in a volume. So I guess I'm at roughly volume 11 or 12 or something.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue May 09, 2006 7:55 am

Oh, okay. Got ya. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 09, 2006 2:27 pm

Joshua Christopher wrote:It's been quite a while since I've read it, but I'll just talk about the first thing that comes to mind. I think the way Edward's character develops in the manga was much more pleasing.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was refering to this:
Joshua Christopher wrote:The first part of the anime follows the manga pretty closely, but actually improves on a lot of parts.

Which parts of the anime do you feel were improvements over the manga? Again, it isn't a subject I've given much consideration.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tommy » Wed May 10, 2006 1:05 pm

Chapter 59 is coming out soon.
Tommy

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 17, 2006 1:44 am

can someone pm where you guys are reading this? OR is Viz out with that many already?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews