Favorite/Least Favorite Manga and Why

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Favorite/Least Favorite Manga and Why

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:06 pm

Just list both and explain why.

My favorite and least favorite.

You don`t have to hate it for it to be your least favorite. You could have enjoyed every manga you have ever read and just like this one the leasy.

There can be ties, but three-way maximum.

Favorite: Trigun-FullMetalAlchemist
Least: JoJo`s Bizarre Adventure

I love the plot of Trigun and I find it extremely addicting (read 8 volumes in one sitting). FMA is my overall favorite series.

JoJo was good, don`t get me wrong, just my least favorite out of all the ones I`ve read (which is few).
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:16 pm

Hmmm...

Though my favorite anime is currently Full Moon wo Sagashite, I feel I haven't read enough of the manga (to volume 4...and I've yet to find volume 3) to call it my favorite YET. ;) So, I'll have to say that Rurouni Kenshin is my favorite manga. Why? Well, it was my first manga...And everything about it is just so easy to love. XD It's got some of the best characters out there, a great mix of comedy, drama, romance, history, and action, and it has a really well-done storyline. Also, it's got very good artwork, which is important for a person like me. XD

As for my least-favorite...Well, I usually only read the manga that I buy, and I only own volumes from about 5 or 6 series. However, I did borrow volumes 2, 3 and 4 of Juvenille Orion from a friend of mine once, and I didn't enjoy those at all. So...I suppose that could be considered my least favorite...
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:39 pm

R.Kenshin is a fantastic manga, RD.
One of my favorites as well.

I have never heard of Juvenille Orion though. Can you uexplain why you disliked it?
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:43 pm

okay. my favorites would be:
20th Century Boys - an incredible manga that puts everyday ordinary characters into not so ordinary situations. this manga is written by the artist of Monster and features an entire cast of amazing characters who grow and develope over the manga. the plot is extremely well thought and incredibly explained as the author weaves the characters' backrounds and mysterious pasts linking them together with the lives of all these characters and how they fit into the manga. an excellent suspense manga that is actually suspenseful.

Bleach - an excellent manga that features amazing action sequences. this manga contains an amazing and stunning plot that is completely original and the characters are insanely developed through the story. an excellent manga for any action manga fan.

Getbackers - now this is one of the most underrated mangas i've ever encountered. out of all the people i know, only one person likes getbackers. this is a great manga that contains an intriguing storyline that appears more than it would seem at first glance. the characters all have their own personalities and abilities and their pasts make them even more interesting and the fighting scenes are simply breathtaking. an excellent manga that features much action as well as a bit of comedy here and there.

my least favorites are:
Fruits basket - omigosh this manga makes me want to puke. i read the first volume and thought it was just horrible. but i was patient and kept reading all the way up to volume 8. then, i stopped. and cried. man. this manga is just dumb. i can't believe there are so many people who like this manga. the characters do have some interesting backrounds but they're always getting into fights or arguements or having these pathetic problems. the main character's an air head and her friends are a goth and an ex gang member wichimacallit. there's the pretty boy and the tough/dumb guy. and then there's the cross dressing cry baby and the perverted writer. there's the creepy guy who sells womens' clothes and the mysterious guy who strikes terror into the heart of all the others. man. i could go on and on about this manga and how i hate it...

Death note - a manga that had so much potential! after reading the first volume of this manga. i was greatly interested. until i reached about volume 7. then, i stopped and changed my entire perspective of this manga. the main character starts off as a popular and super smart and successful student that finds a notebook and gets this dumb idea that he can rid the world of all bad people. then why doesn't he just kill everybody?! he tricks and deceives others, kills innocent people, and takes advantage of others. it makes me angry and annoyed even though this is only a manga. first you start off rooting for the guy, then, you ending up hoping he gets caught. geez.
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:50 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:I have never heard of Juvenille Orion though. Can yo uexplain why you disliked it?

Well, mostly it was for the religious mumbo-jumbo it seemed to have. I think it was like, there were angels and demons (the Judeo-Christian kind), but not all the demons were bad, and not all the angles were good...Plus, there were some artistic proportion issues that just couldn't be ignored. XD It just didn't strike me as something I would have enjoyed the rest of, that's all.
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shadowchild » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:56 pm

Jon, you're comment about Furuba is about to make me cry. T_T

Fav to anime: Furuba - the manga in my favorite and I wish to someday be able to draw as well.

Least fav: DBZ- Taking 2-3 seasons to defeat a pink dude and still not really beat him just kinda bores me... Otherwise I have no complaints.
[color=indigo]ADOPTED BY:Nami, CephasVII, spectroking, Starfire1
ADOPTED: teen4truth, spirit-me-away, ky kiske, Sage_AlKahira, dragon's bane, phinny5608, mastersquirrel, LeaChan-4ever, Dytae, Tom Dincht, Jack Bond, Mega, meg, Celestra, JadeFox
PET AND GRANDDAUGHTER OF: Banana-chan
SISTER OF: girl ninja, Starfire1, and rusty789, Batosai [/color]

I'm looking for someone to quench my thirst - for all eternity.
Shadowchild

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Well, mostly it was for the religious mumbo-jumbo it seemed to have. I think it was like, there were angels and demons (the Judeo-Christian kind), but not all the demons were bad, and not all the angles were good...Plus, there were some artistic proportion issues that just couldn't be ignored. XD It just didn't strike me as something I would have enjoyed the rest of, that's all.

plus, the binding made it really hard to break it in. ;)
jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:59 pm

Shadowchild wrote:Jon, you're comment about Furuba is about to make me cry. T_T

Fav to anime: Furuba - the manga in my favorite and I wish to someday be able to draw as well.

Least fav: DBZ- Taking 2-3 seasons to defeat a pink dude and still not really beat him just kinda bores me... Otherwise I have no complaints.

shouldn't this be in the anime section? or are you referring to the mangas?
sorry. i was just stating my mind. i kinda figured that someone would post something about what i said about fruits basket.
jon_jinn

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:01 pm

Well I have ALOT of favorites... I'll probably pick Fruits Basket as THEE favorite if I had to pick out of them all^^

As for disslikable ones... haven't really read any manga that I really not like... cept one: Sandland. I thought it was boring and usually read past it when I used to buy Shounen Jump.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Debitt » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:19 pm

jon_jinn wrote:Getbackers - now this is one of the most underrated mangas i've ever encountered. out of all the people i know, only one person likes getbackers. this is a great manga that contains an intriguing storyline that appears more than it would seem at first glance. the characters all have their own personalities and abilities and their pasts make them even more interesting and the fighting scenes are simply breathtaking. an excellent manga that features much action as well as a bit of comedy here and there.

While I prefer the anime since it's cleaner, the GetBackers manga is definitely seven different shades of awesome. :thumb: Thumbs up to a fellow fan! <3

Aside from GetBackers, I love:

Tactics - Yep, bet you all figured this would be the top of my list. My love for Tactics probably stems from its characters. The villains aren't all evil, the hero is a far cry from perfect, and the way they all interact is unique and amusing. Kantarou is really a one of a kind protagonist in my eyes; he has a knack for being manipulative and deceptive, yet still manages to exude sincerity when the people he loves are concerned. The secondary characters, especially Haruka and Sugino, may appear flat and one dimensional on first glance, but they break conventions in a subtle sort of way that I really admire. Tactics also manages to use its setting (turn of the century Japan) effectively, and combines elements of the story with the mood of the era very well. And this is all ontop of Sakura Kinoshita and Kazuko Higashiyama's amazing artwork. =3

Matantei Loki Ragnarok - While it lacks the depth that Tactics has, MaLoki is a cute series that very rarely takes itself seriously. Which is something I appreciate. The characters, most of whom are based off of Norse gods, are hilarious to see in action: Thor the pizza boy/curry cart puller/okonomiyaki chef/Damu Damu Donuts employee/who knows what else is definitely an interesting take on a traditional figure from mythology. And did I mention I adore Sakura Kinoshita's artwork?

D.Gray-man - The aspect of D.Gray-man that's interested me since I first picked it up is the concept of an enemy that manipulates human sorrow, twists it into a tool for evil, and creates a world where nothing is as it seems. As Rabi says "The other exorcists and I are suspicious of humans....someone I meet today could be an Akuma tomorrow". The different abilities the characters possess also grabbed my attention from the get go. =3

As for series I dislike: ...hard to say. The Escaflowne manga was largely disappointing. :sweat:

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Lynx » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:27 pm

i love kare kano... it's so adorable! i love the story, the adorableness, everything. azumanga rocks!

i havent read a manga i didnt really like, but i guess my least favorite is the original trigun (not trigun max) it was mediocre at best.
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:27 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Well, mostly it was for the religious mumbo-jumbo it seemed to have. I think it was like, there were angels and demons (the Judeo-Christian kind), but not all the demons were bad, and not all the angles were good...Plus, there were some artistic proportion issues that just couldn't be ignored. XD It just didn't strike me as something I would have enjoyed the rest of, that's all.

I actually quite liked it (borrowed from a friend as well). It's sort of like X/1999 but... I stopped watching X due to it's issues, while I read through this one and enjoyed it. There used to be a long thred on the manga as it was being released, so maybe you might wanna look it up to get others opinion and info on it as well? But yes the religiony thing would be an issue... (I'd search it now but I've gotta run at the moment!)
Tenshi no Ai

Postby meboeck » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Favorite: Swan. I'm a dancer, it's about dance. It visually portays the dance moves perfectly, and it can actually be very informative for someone who doesn't know much about ballet. But beyond the dance aspect, it has really believable characters and it has a very intense story. *runs off to buy the newest released volume*

Least favorite: InuYasha. I like the anime a lot so I thought I would check out the manga, but I was very disappointed with the artwork in the manga. The art is way too sketchy for me. I just couldn't get over that.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:26 pm

jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:30 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:While I prefer the anime since it's cleaner, the GetBackers manga is definitely seven different shades of awesome. :thumb: Thumbs up to a fellow fan! <3

yeah. the getbackers anime is definately cleaner than the manga. i just wish that the anime was longer. but i'd have to say that i enjoy the manga more because the battles are more detailed and the characters seem to be more expressed.
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:51 am

I seems that everyone has a lot of interesting opinions here.

I`m glad all the Furuba fans just let Jon Jinn`s comment go and decided not to start a debate. Thanks guys.
Tommy

Postby Myoti » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:02 am

Well, on Jon Jinn's Furuba thing (mind you, I haven't read that much of the manga), his argument just sounds like a typically guy-minded thing (if that makes any sense Xp ).
I mean, being a guy, there's things about it I don't like, but I found it humurous and decided it was worth sticking with (though not my top priority at the moment).

Favorite: One Piece (no duh XD ).
This tends to be a rather underrated series in America, which is sad, as it's much, MUCH more than just a simple Shonen. It's funny, has a great plot and literally hundreds of unique, lovable characters and, overall, is one of the few series today that actually makes me happy and really feel like I'm being entertained when I read it (compared to all those "emo-trip" ones I see now and stuff :p ).

Can't think of one in particular that I REALLY didn't like (since I usually research before trying them out). It might come to me later...
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:05 am

How about One Piece DUB? XD
Tommy

Postby Myoti » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:23 am

But that's anime, not manga. The only problem with the American manga is their use of the forbidden name, Zolo. :p
Myoti

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:40 am

Tom Dincht wrote:How about One Piece DUB? XD

...c'mon is that really supposed to be funny still? (Sometime there crosses the line when enough really IS enough) :/ ...and that's all I'm saying.

Myoti wrote:But that's anime, not manga. The only problem with the American manga is their use of the forbidden name, Zolo. :p

I can think o one thing that bothers me probably even more than that: the piratey voices of the characters :/ Yeah, they're pirates and all, but I bet in REAL LIFE not all of them said things like "arr" and "matey".
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:44 am

You expect One Piece to go by the laws of real life...wait, who says Arr or Matey?
Tommy

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:48 am

Tom Dincht wrote:You expect One Piece to go by the laws of real life...wait, who says Arr or Matey?

Like, half of the main pirates' crew. From what I remember, Viz didn't start translating it like that till a while in on the series.
Stuff like that bugs me just as much as when they make a bad-guy's henchmen fat and stupid (in manga, anime, cartoons, wherever!) The whole "duh duh" thing just isn't funny :/
A bit off track there, but somethign I have to compare it on the same level of annoyingness for me^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby rii namuras » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:58 am

(Favorites: )

(Rurouni Kenshin: The first manga that I stayed with (e.g. considered it okay for me to read). Raiden no Kishi-sama gets credit for introducing me to this. Sadly enough, due to EVIL inter-library loan and infrequent visits to the bookstore, I'm only up to the middle of ten. Evilness. But regardless, I love the art and the characters.)

(D.N.Angel: The second manga that I stayed with. I normally dislike romances because I just don't get them - it doesn't make any sense. This one, however, is just so deep. And real. It's not some random story. I love it for the story, characters, and the art.)

(Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle: The third manga that I stayed with, and the most recent. (I started reading it only ::counts:: three-four weeks ago) Rai-sama again is the one who introduced me to this one. What I like about this one is again the story and the characters. The art is okay, but I've never been a fan of CLAMP's art. I just love how Fai teases Kurogane. And how Kurogane reacts, of course.)

(Least favorite(s): )

(Brain Powered: I picked this up because Sugisaki-sensei drew it, and so far I'm not loving it. It's not terrible, but I just don't like it as much as other manga.)
rii namuras

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:06 am

ree namuras wrote:(Favorites: )

(D.N.Angel: The second manga that I stayed with. I normally dislike romances because I just don't get them - it doesn't make any sense. This one, however, is just so deep. And real. It's not some random story. I love it for the story, characters, and the art.)

Grr you guys and saying so much good stuff about DN Angel >_< ...Might one day have me starting on ANOTHER series that's pretty long^^

Question though: how good is it compared to the anime? (just in case my friend ever gets the thin pack^^)
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:10 am

ree namuras wrote: I just love how Fai teases Kurogane. And how Kurogane reacts, of course.)

Hahaha, I love that part, too!! Fai is my favorite character, he's just so funny! It's like, nothing in the world can bother him, and that just makes Kuro-tan even madder. XD He and Mokona are so cute, too!! :thumb:

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm here, I've noticed all the talk of D.N.Angel too. What's the content like? I'm always up for a good love story, as long as I'm cool with the content. How is it in that regard? :)

Radical Dreamer

Postby rii namuras » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:23 am

(Content is so-so. I personally think the good outweighs the bad, but I also haven't read all of it (though intend to), so I can't entirely say yet. It has magic, minor cursing, and a few off-color remarks, but other than that it's very good. Like I said, the good outweighs the bad. Wonderful writing and art. One of the best stories I've read, even not including manga.)

(As for the anime... I personally like the manga a lot better. But the anime is still good. It has its good things and its bad things. The idea that Satoshi is gay is more pronounced, the writing isn't as good as in the manga, but the voice acting is good both in the dub and sub (dub isn't wonderful, aside from Vic and Kevin - Dark and Daisuke - but it isn't painful either), and it still captures the spirit of the story well, albiet differently than the manga. Both are worth buying, in my opinion.)
rii namuras

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:19 pm

I'm not sure I can adequately answer those questions, actually. Though there are a number of different manga I read and enjoy, I can't say that I'm really rabid about any of them. All have faults and strengths, all are good in one way or another.

As for least favorite... I hate to say this, but a lot of shojo titles are sitting at the bottom of my list. I admit that the genre isn't my favorite in the first place, so my opinion is biased (more so than all opinions are, anyway). But if a series has no plot worth mentioning it had better have strong characters. And frankly, there are quite a few shojo series that seem to think a "character" is two or three personality quirks slapped together with an angsty backstory. Combine asinine attempts at humor (I'm not going to talk about this) with cramped and clumsily flowing pages and I am not a happy reader.

Tenshi no Ai wrote:...c'mon is that really supposed to be funny still? (Sometime there crosses the line when enough really IS enough) :/ ...and that's all I'm saying.

That aside, as of the announcement today it isn't important if it is funny... such comments are no longer allowed.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:52 pm

I don't have any least favorites yet because I'm way too careful and don't like to waste money. But my most favorite now would probably be Please Save My Earth. The story becomes more intriguing with each volume, and Hiwatari's artwork gets better and more expressive as well. It really makes me want to see the anime and compare them. It's just a shame I can't review it for this site since I have yet to finish it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:14 pm

Well obviously of all the ones you like there has to be one that you like less than the others.
Tommy

Postby rocklobster » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:37 pm

I guess if I had to pick, it'd be Brigadoon that I like the least. It was too short.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews