Manga for a 12 Year Old Boy?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Myoti » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:19 pm

I have none to recommend(other than Kenshin or Shaman King) but I can tell you now that Bleach is not for a twelve-year old boy. It has quite a few crude comment and in later chapters, undetailed nudity and some partial nudity. Several of the female characters are over-endowed and only one (usually) has the decency to cover herself. The blood and violence might also be too much for your brother to handle(I know I wouldn't let my brothers read it). Every character who fights spills enough blood to have died twenty times and are still walking around. There is also a very perverted lesbian.

Oh yeah. I haven't seen the nudity yet, but you may want to check on this first. There are quite a few crude comments (namely from the lesbian and Kon).
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:37 pm

KBMaster wrote:I have none to recommend(other than Kenshin or Shaman King) but I can tell you now that Bleach is not for a twelve-year old boy. It has quite a few crude comment and in later chapters, undetailed nudity and some partial nudity. Several of the female characters are over-endowed and only one (usually) has the decency to cover herself. The blood and violence might also be too much for your brother to handle(I know I wouldn't let my brothers read it). Every character who fights spills enough blood to have died twenty times and are still walking around. There is also a very perverted lesbian.

Your comments come off rather exaggerated. Anything offensive was covered, so that doesn't really count as nudity. Crude comments were generally toned down in Viz's translation. Chizuru's lesbianism is present but it was toned down slightly as well, and she is an extremely minor character.
Also, Kenshin has more gore than Bleach does...so to recommend it over Bleach on the grounds of violence strikes me as odd, although the amount of blood in the latter is probably greater.
Still, if Osaka has decided to wait on Kenshin, she will probably want to wait on Bleach.

The rest of the issues got whacked from my understanding. Kinda... o_O

(Thank the heavens for scans...?)

Viz's translation is mostly fine actually, aside from the minor issues.
I give them brownie points for using "Smoker" in the recent issue, instead of you-know-who.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby KBMaster » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:48 pm

I may have come off as exaggerating but I was personally very offended by some parts. Just out of curiousity, how much have you read? I've read scanlations to about chapter 190 and have seen QUITE a bit of blood. I haven't read all of the Viz translations of Bleach nor have I read it of Kenshin, but I can tell you now, the whole sex/nudity factor is more extreme in Bleach.
I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I just think maybe Mangafanatic should wait before letting a twelve year old read this or read it first herself.
KBMaster

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:52 pm

Well there is Megaman NT warrior that wasn't half bad.
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:58 pm

At this point, I'm almost absurd about how sensative I am about nudity in his manga. For that reason, I probably will hold off on Bleach, but, in time, both Bleach and Ruruoken will probably be on his shelf. Thanks to the both KBMaster and MasterDias for together presenting a very balanced and detailed information on those series. Every person's going to have different levels of sensativity and perception of offensive material. That's not a problem. :hug:

All further suggestions are still VERY much appreciated, and I'm sure the little tike-- I mean, my brother, will appreciate everyone's interest and suggestions as well.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Myoti » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:10 pm

Viz's translation is mostly fine actually, aside from the minor issues.
I give them brownie points for using "Smoker" in the recent issue, instead of you-know-who.

Alright. I wasn't too sure. Yayness that they kept Smoker (now if they'd just drop this "Zolo" mess...). ^_^
Myoti

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:17 pm

Can't ask for everything Myoti
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Heart of Sword » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:42 pm

I'd say DNAngel for now, and wait to show him Kenshin until he's about 14, just because the violence can get pretty bad (heads flying, impaling, etc).
Heart of Sword

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:17 pm

Osaka, you must eventually get him Yakitate!! Japan. I absolutely love it

What about Azumanga Daioh or Yotsubato? Or would they be too "girly" for him?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby MasterDias » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:25 pm

KBMaster wrote: Just out of curiousity, how much have you read? I've read scanlations to about chapter 190 and have seen QUITE a bit of blood.

I've read up to 211 or so. Whatever the latest one is. And note that I said Kenshin has more gore. Bleach has lots of blood certainly, but people usually remain intact, aside from hollows. Kenshin probably has less blood overall, but there are several cases where people get sliced into multiple pieces(Ex: Aoshi vs several goons, Saitou vs. a certain member of the Ten Swords) that probably earns the 16+ rating Viz slapped onto it.

but I can tell you now, the whole sex/nudity factor is more extreme in Bleach.
Well, yes, that's true. But "more extreme" is rather relative and depends on what you are comparing. Kenshin has zero sex/nudity, aside from a couple of offhand brothel references. Bleach has two scenes where female characters are technically naked but the "offensive bits" are covered by steam. Two scenes lasting a handful of pages in a 20+ volume series... So, it is more extreme, but it's not that much more extreme...
Anyway, I didn't mean to start a debate either...I just like to...er...talk about manga... I guess our level of sensitivity is different like MangaFanatic stated.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby KBMaster » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:55 am

Yeah, sry. I didn't want to get into a debate, either. :) I think our different levels of sensitivity come from a six year age difference. Plus, I tend to get a little protective of my own two brothers. No hard feelings, eh? :)
KBMaster

Postby Myoti » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:28 pm

Can't ask for everything Myoti

You're right.

SO I DEMAND IT!!! XD
Myoti

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews