What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby RubyJewelStone » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:44 pm

I had to read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe for English and a selection of the play Oedipus Rex by Sophocles.
RubyJewelStone

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:05 pm

If you look at any serious discussions you'll find the posts are far from succinct (even if not longwinded). Regarding your book, I have a favorable impression of any story that begins with a disgruntled astrophysicist. While I'm here, welcome to the forums.

Meanwhile, I have no new reading to note.
uc pseudonym

Postby yukinon » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:27 am

rapidly change the what? Don't leave me hanging when you're talking about solar flares!
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby harina » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 am

I'm reading Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. It's really a great book. I haven't read anything that awesome for a while. I borrowed it at the library because I wanted to read a new book and it seemed to be exciting...

The story is about a girl growing up in a boarding school, but as you read it on and on, new facts will show up (like, what the boarding school really is and how the students really got there and why) and you'll realize that the story really is kinda unrealistic.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. [Hebr. 11:1]
harina

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:45 pm

Civil War Curisoisites by the late Webb Garrison,associate Dean of Emory University and president of McKendree College.
mitsuki lover

Postby Pent » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:13 pm

I am currently reading Solar Flare by Larry Burkett.

I loved that book.
Pent

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:15 pm

First Corithians a commentary by Richard Hays

From what little I've read of it so far he seems to have all the best intentions and look at the historical data (and text) directly and honestly. Of course, I haven't gotten to any of the tricky passages yet.
uc pseudonym

Postby HisaishiFan » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:09 pm

A Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier. So far, very cool.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:29 pm

Finished Civil War Curiosities today.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:37 pm

For class, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and White Noise by Don DeLillo.

For myself, The Faculty of Useless Knowledge by Yury Dombrovsky. I followed Technomancer's link a while back and thought that it sounded interesting according to the reviews--and so it is.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby VashTheStampede » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:50 pm

"The Cross Centered Life" - C.J. Mahaney
I felt Your hands move mine aside, as those nails were driven down [[color=Gold]†][/color]
"There is a time for everything. A season for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

~Do not have feelings of animosity and resentment towards the depressing times in your life, but turn to God in praise for the days He gives you. Along with the times of joy He blesses you with, also come the times of hardship. For how can one reach for the stars without darkness?~

"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21

"And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)

Digitally Imported Radio<-~-~Love Techno?~:cool:
Myspace!<--PM me for info if you wanna add me:sweat:
VashTheStampede

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:00 pm

I feel read out for now,unless I find something interesting tommorrow at the library.
mitsuki lover

Postby yukinon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:37 am

Chaucer is awesome.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:00 am

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" by Tennessee Williams

I'm actually reading the script, so I decided to list it here. I'm barely into Act I, so I have next to no substansive comments at this point. Overall, I like the dialogue better than some of Williams' other work (I have "The Glass Menagerie" in mind) but I had forgotten how wordy some of his stage directions are. Yes, when I watch a play I often think, "That lighting treats him gently, but in a stronger light he'd show signs of deliquescence."
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:46 pm

I saw American Jesus in the library today but didn't check it out.Looks interesting though as it talks about how Jesus has been changed and transformed by different parts of American culture and sub-culture and counter-culture until he wouldn't even recognize himself the way some interpret him.
mitsuki lover

Postby Doe Johnson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:24 am

I finished The Book of Franza by Ingeborg Bachmann. It was okay, still better than Quest for Christa T. There are only three chapters in it. The first chapter is more or less about the character Martin's view of his sister, Franza, and the story of when she just leaves her husband and he (Martin) is looking for her, and later when she is staying with him. The second chapter switches more to Franza's view and takes place during their trip to Egypt. She basically sounds like a nut with an emotionally abusive husband who is using her as a psychological experiment. Apparently his first two wives either commited suiced or refused to leave the house. He sounds like such a cheerful guy. Anywho, the third chapter is more or less fragments of when Martin and her were in Egypt - fragments refering to the fact that Bachmann died before completing the novel and so they don't really have transitions to the events that take place. This is from more of a mix of their views. Martin is thinking up ways to help his sister break away from her mindset - such wonderful things as using hash, her having sex, or burying her in mud! Don't those sound helpful!? He wasn't as clueless as that description made him sound, but he didn't really help her stay sane. Meanwhile she tried to get a doctor to give her medication to commit suicide, and ended up dying after bashing her head against a pyramid. Such uplifting reading. Next up in the uplifting German writtings: Wonderful, Wonderful Times by Elfriede Jelinek. I've heard it's even more delightful than Das Buch Franza(the German title), that it is infact, one of her least depressing or controversial works. Oh the joys of German written works!

I've finished Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. It's pretty interesting. It has the first society that actually looks like a utopia in my class, which is supposed to be the topic of the entire class. The all-female country places an EXTREMELY high value on motherhood. It is essentially what the culture is based on. There is no disease, everyone has a sisterly or motherly attitute toward everybody else, people don't act selfishly, there are no major preditory animals, all of the trees in the "forest" are actually taken care of and are mainly food bearing (they were planted), and things are designed for comfort and use instead of being pleasing to the eye. Yes, this world of purely women sounds like an awesome thing, I just highly doubt it would actually be like this.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Fionn Fael » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:16 pm

I'm reading every book of The Chronicles of Narnia. I started reading them when I was 9, but I didn't finish (let alone remember what I'd read), so I picked them up again. I love this series!! :)
Formerly known as haru_bay_nay

Avatar by: tinamakesicons(LiveJournal.com)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." --Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

“To put alcohol in the human is like putting sand in the bearing of an engine." --Thomas Edison

[color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]The simplest way that I can understand therapy is that we're born a certain way, we're taught to be something different, and we spend our whole lives trying to unravel it and ultimately align ourselves with who we really are. Life, experiences, traumas -- whatever -- they all add up to make you some altered version of what you are. So there's this battle that goes on between what you are and what you become, and it's been very important for me to unravel what I was taught to be or what I became. and to draw a direct parallel to music -- the closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets..." --Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins frontman)[/font][/color]

Adopted by KhakiBlueSocks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fionn Fael

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:51 pm

I checked out American Jesus and started to read it today.It's in two parts.Part one is called Resurrections and is how Jesus has been viewed in Christianity in America.
(Kind of sadly bland these days really,which is no surprise since aside from the Orthodox and Catholic churches most of American Christianity has become quite bland,blame it on Televangelists and Megachurches that dilute the Gospel and deny the Creeds importance and the place of the Sacraments in daily life.But I digress..)
The second deals with outside the mainstream Christanity and is called Reincarnation.
mitsuki lover

Postby yukinon » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:21 am

ooo, which are you reading now, Fionn?
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Ryusei » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:50 pm

I have a two books I'm reading/about to start reading. (I can never read one at a time, I'm always in the middle of a book when I start on another...) I'm about to start on "The Prince and the Pauper" by Mark Twain. I'm about halfway done with "The Hidden Treasure of Glaston". (Actually, I started on "The Prince and the Pauper" a while back, but I never finished it, so I'm re-reading what I already read.) I don't remember who wrote "The Hidden Treasure of Glaston"...I'll have to get back to you guys on that... So there. ^^
"That's some good advice. Maybe I should write that down, frame it, and stick it up on my wall." - Colonel Karl Lichen Schubaltz (Zoids: Chaotic Century)

"I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours" - Casting Crowns ("Who Am I")
Ryusei

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Right now I'm working on The Demon in the Freezer it's a nonfiction book about smallpox. Can't remember who wrote it right now.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Technomancer » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:28 am

At the moment, I'm reading "The Educated Imagination" by Northrop Frye, and "A Cook's Tour" by Anthony Bourdain.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Locke » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:35 am

Reading DUNE by Frank Herbert.
Makes me want to polish of my copy of "Stranger In A Strange Land" for some reason...
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:27 pm

Hm, that's an interesting connection. I found those two novels to be very different types of reading and on initial reflection no similar themes jump out at me (unless it is the evolution of humans). Can you elaborate on that "some reason" at all, or is it unknown even to you?
uc pseudonym

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:05 pm

Continuing with my annual reading of The Silmarillion. I am also combining with the reading of The Book of Lost Tales 1 and 2.
Hitokiri

Postby Da Rabid Duckie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:21 pm

The Mythology of Crime and Criminal Justice, by Victor Kappeler and Gary Potter.
Da Rabid Duckie -- Taking Over Your Country In Three Posts Or Less.

Join the Proud Nation of Temuoplis! Koei, Temuoplis!

Law of Japanese Animation #11 (Law of Inherent Combustibility)
Everything explodes. Everything.

In both real life and video games,
anything can be solved through the mass application of explosives. -- The Duck

Da Rabid Duckie, concerning Gypsy wrote:Gypsy doesn't realize this, but she's ditching whomever she's with and we're getting married. Uh huh. Yeah. Lil bro Zilch can be the best man, it'll be an explosive ceremony. Everyone is invited! We'll serve poutine at the reception, Straylight can DJ, and Shatterheart can start a mosh pit!
Gypsy, in acceptance wrote:Explosives and poutine? Alright!
Hey... she said it... :p
Da Rabid Duckie

Postby yukinon » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:40 am

It sounds like you should be taking Tolkien Studies with me, Hitokiri.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Scribs » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:42 am

I am starting in on Dostoyevski's Notes from the Underground
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:02 am

"In the Beginning Was Information" by Werner Gitt.

A fascinating book about information theory, and how this points to a Creator.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:26 am

Scribs wrote:I am starting in on Dostoyevski's Notes from the Underground

Cool - I recently bought this book, though I wont be getting to it quickly. When I'm finished we should maybe compare Notes. ]Foucault's Pendulum[/i].
bigsleepj

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner