What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby White » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:13 pm

Last Book I Read Was 'of Mice and Men' For My Schoolwork...

Your Bro In Christ,

White
White

Postby yukinon » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:36 pm

I'm reading "Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry" by Mildred Taylor.

Who wrote Ender's Game again?
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:09 pm

Ender's Game was by Orson Scott Card, wasn't it?
bigsleepj

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:23 am

I am reading the "Count of Monte Crisco"...very good, and the "Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston Leroux....
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Doe Johnson » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:27 am

Yeah...forgot to add that...Ender's Game was written by Orson Scott Card.
Random fact: Orson Scott Card also wrote the insults in the original Monkey Island game.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Lynx » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:14 pm

memoirs of a geisha
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:01 pm

I continue to read a variety of the books I've previously listed. Five at once, currently.

Doe Johnson wrote:Random fact: Orson Scott Card also wrote the insults in the original Monkey Island game.

That's a pretty cool random fact.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:19 pm

The Black Sea: The Birth Place of Civilization and Barbarism.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby EireWolf » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:36 pm

You always have such light, fun reading, Technomancer! :lol: Sounds interesting.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:07 am

Right now I'm reading Confessions of an ugly stepsister. It's by Gregory Maguire, the same guy who wrote Wicked which now has a sequal and is a musical. I don't think I'm going to finish this book though. It's very long and considering it's based on a fairy tale it's extremely cynical (almost too much so).

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby TurkishMonky » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:24 am

still on my Tomothy Zahn kick, i'm reading Coming of Age and Manta's Gift
TurkishMonky

Postby Doe Johnson » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:00 am

I finished the "Ender's Game" short story. The next short stories I'm reading again for class are "HEMEAC" by E.G. Von Wald and "Primary Education of the Camiroi" by R.A. Lafferty. "HEMEAC" is about a school run completely by robots and machines, "Primary Education of the Camiroi" is about a group of people from Earth visiting the Camiroi aliens in order to find better methods of teaching. I found the later to be rather funny, especially with the suggestions at the end. My next book to read for class is Herland by Charlotte Gilman, about a society composed entirely of women. I'm currently reading The Book of Franza(Das Buch Franza) by Ingeborg Bachmann. So far I find it more entertaining than Quest for Christa T., but since Quest doesn't seem like it was written for the same reason, I probably shouldn't be comparing them. I just can't help comparing all of the translated German literature I'm supposed to read.

uc pseudonym wrote:That's a pretty cool random fact.
Thank you! The things you learn when you read clear through the game credits...

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams

I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:13 pm

Technomancer probably reads Darwin and Einstein for the jokes!
mitsuki lover

Postby EireWolf » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:17 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Technomancer probably reads Darwin and Einstein for the jokes!

... and he probably gets them. ;)
EireWolf

Postby Gypsy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:31 pm

Tim LaHaye's Why You Act the Way You Do
Ted Dekker's Obsessed
John Eldridge's Epic
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Sai » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:31 am

I just finished Lorna Doone, I forget the author's name.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby TurkishMonky » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Manta's gift was kind of wierd... they fastened a quadriplegic's brain into a body of one of these aliens from jupiter... but it was a good read.
TurkishMonky

Postby VashTheStampede » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:42 pm

God's Outrageous Claims - Lee Strobel
I felt Your hands move mine aside, as those nails were driven down [[color=Gold]†][/color]
"There is a time for everything. A season for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

~Do not have feelings of animosity and resentment towards the depressing times in your life, but turn to God in praise for the days He gives you. Along with the times of joy He blesses you with, also come the times of hardship. For how can one reach for the stars without darkness?~

"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21

"And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)

Digitally Imported Radio<-~-~Love Techno?~:cool:
Myspace!<--PM me for info if you wanna add me:sweat:
VashTheStampede

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:23 pm

Spirit, love the avi!!!... I am now reading the Count of Monte Cristo...and I can't remember what else...
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby dragonshimmer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:56 pm

Blue Like Jazz-Don Miller
dragonshimmer

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:22 am

Lynne Truss - "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: A Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation"

'Tis funny! :)
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby yukinon » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:55 am

It sounds more like a book about vegetarians. But amusing!
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:39 pm

Oh, no. But "Shoots, Leaves and Eats: Irresistible food from plot to plate" is a cookbook whose title is a play on the other book's title (in fact, you can buy both books together in a package at amazon!).
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Technomancer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:28 pm

"The Inflationary Universe: The Quest for a New Theory of Cosmic Origins" by Alan Guth. I picked this up from the library after the inflation model popped into the news again.

"Stochastic Correlative Learning Algorithms" by Simon Haykin et al. Some needed research material. I'm also lookinf for other material on particle filtering and Monte Carlo methods in general.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby EireWolf » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:56 pm

@.@ There's that light reading again. :)

I'm currently reading (1) the book of Nehemiah, and (2) the 2nd book in Anne Mccaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series.
EireWolf

Postby Doe Johnson » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:59 pm

EireWolf wrote:the 2nd book in Anne Mccaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series.

ooo...which one is that? I can never remember, there are too many Drangriders books. Dragonquest? Dragonflight?

Doe Johnson

Postby EireWolf » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:10 pm

I think it's Dragonquest... lemme run upstairs and check... Yep.
EireWolf

Postby yukinon » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:58 am

The inflationary universe makes me laugh. Like the whole world is made of balloons. ^^
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Pent » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:35 am

Just finished Ted Dekkers "Showdown" and patiently waiting for "House".
Pent

Postby Technomancer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:37 am

Heh. It's a pretty interesting book so far, although I've only gotten past the first two chapters, which are mostly historical. Anyways, the article the prompted me to pick up the book from the library is here:

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060313/full/060313-16.html

And now, I'm off the science & engineering library for a little more "light reading." :)

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner