Hunter X Hunter

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Hunter X Hunter

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:24 pm

I just got volume one and I'm loving it like a McDonalds commercial. Does anyone know why it's rated T+ though? The One Piece manga is just as bad!
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Tommy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:05 pm

Monkey J. Luffy wrote:I'm loving it like a McDonalds commercial.

:bang:

One Piece manga is worse in America.
As for the Japanese, probably a T+ here.

Anyways, I like this series as well since I broowed it from you, Monkey J. Luffy. It should be T.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby MasterDias » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:22 pm

Hunter x Hunter is a generally good series, but it has some flaws that keep it from being among my favorites.

I suppose I should warn you also, the series is far more graphic than One Piece and Naruto, and has an insanely high death rate as well...

Lots of people lose heads and limbs.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:35 am

It seems that periodically someone else gets into Hunter x Hunter and they create a thread about it. Some day I will stop posting in them, but it is not this day.

As MasterDias said, the manga becomes much more graphic than One Piece. Once you get to the Hunter examination, characters (even characters with names and some history) start dying right and left, some of them grusomely. In the first few trials alone a few dozen people get eaten or decapitated.

I also think it deserves the "+" for a generally darker atmosphere. One Piece is extremely happy go lucky (ironic, given that it's about people that historically plundered, raped, and slaughtered for a living) and has all kinds of emotionally dramatic stories that turn out well in the end. Things don't always turn out alright in Hunter x Hunter, though it looks as though the main characters have a certain degree of immunity.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tommy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:56 pm

Is it pronounced "Hunter by Hunter" or "Hunter ex Hunter" ?

Me and Josh had an arguement about that. As for dark atmosphere, I hope people who are searching for darker series aren`t the type that judge a book by its cover....literally.

If you know what the cover of Hunter X Hunter Volume 1 looks like, you`ll know what I mean.
Overall, I`m sure I can handle it, but I don`t know about MJL.....
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:57 pm

well, i'm on volume 17 and i have to say that as the story continues, it gets way more violent. in volume three, i was very surprised at what i saw and the beginning of volume two has some pretty bloody scenes. they get a lot worse but there's no nudity or anything extremely sexual. there's some swearing but the scanlations have more swear words than the graphic novel which has had some of it's language edited out. this manga's extremely good and i was about to write a review on it but changed my mind.
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:12 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Is it pronounced "Hunter by Hunter" or "Hunter ex Hunter" ?

Neither. It is simply "Hunter Hunter", as little sense as that makes. Also, from the author's description of the thought process behind the title, it means next to nothing.

jon_jinn wrote:they get a lot worse but there's no nudity or anything extremely sexual.

While it isn't explored, Hisoka is both bisexual and a pedophile.
uc pseudonym

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:
If you know what the cover of Hunter X Hunter Volume 1 looks like, you`ll know what I mean.
Overall, I`m sure I can handle it, but I don`t know about MJL.....

Read my latest post in the MJL day thread (Name and Address withheld)
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Myoti » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:27 pm

Does anyone know why it's rated T+ though? The One Piece manga is just as bad!

The OP manga is T as well, I believe. Also, OP almost never has gore or scenes quite as violent as this one (seeing as almost no one ever dies).
Myoti

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:14 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:As MasterDias said, the manga becomes much more graphic than One Piece. Once you get to the Hunter examination, characters (even characters with names and some history) start dying right and left, some of them grusomely. In the first few trials alone a few dozen people get eaten or decapitated.

Does this partain with the anime series as well?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby MasterDias » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:18 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Does this partain with the anime series as well?

I have not seen any anime episodes...but I find that unlikely. Anime are usually toned down from the manga.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby CODARP » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:00 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Does this partain with the anime series as well?

not in america yat but there is a siries in a few asian countries other than japan
CODARP

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:56 pm

The anime is unliscensed, as it's available by certain fansubbers. Anyway I'd like an anime that doesn't hold back on "grimy" violence. It gives it a more realistic feel to it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby MasterDias » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:06 pm

I'm not sure that I would call Hunter X Hunter violence "realistic" inasmuch as I would call it "over-the-top..."

MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:21 am

Agreed, for the most part.

I have also seen none of the anime, but based on the word of those who have there doesn't seem to be enough of a difference in how violence is handled to be worth noting.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:24 am

I guess it's just nice to see that the mangaka/animators wont really hold anything back. Sometims the violence has me going "that was insanely awesome"
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tommy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:26 pm

Name one manga that involves a high amount of blood where there isn`t an unrealistic amount of blood.

Myoti, One Piece has a highter rating. This is for older teens yet the cover makes it looks like it`s for 5-year-olds.
Tommy

Postby MasterDias » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:37 pm

Viz rates One Piece "T for Teens-13 up." Viz rates Hunter X Hunter "T+ for Older Teens-16 up."

But regardless, Viz has a screwed up rating system...for multiple reasons.

MasterDias

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:36 pm

i've seen a couple of the hunter x hunter anime episodes. i was pretty disappointed since it only went to about 62 episodes, then there was the greed island ovas. the violence is NOT as intense as the manga. it's a lot more stylized and there's a lot less blood.
jon_jinn

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews