FLCL Vol. 1 (The Crazyness Is Now Is Manga Form!)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

FLCL Vol. 1 (The Crazyness Is Now Is Manga Form!)

Postby Benu » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:24 pm

Yea, I know not alot of people have took well to the Anime. But now the manga is here and I think it's great. I've only seen one episode of the anime and I had no idea what was going on. Some have called it a fan service feast and that sexual jokes abound but the manga was none of that...well at least for the fan service part. Yes, there is actually a plot under all of the crazyness. Well for those who don't know it's about boy meets girl on Vespa, girl smacks boy with bass guitar and the crazyness follows. You just have to read it to see. Anyway it just came out this month on the 16th I had seen it before at Anime Gamers but it was in Japanese! That's why the english one just came out this month from Tokyopop. The funny thing is tokyopop left the manga in it's oringinal right-to-left format, but that's cool because it's more authentic but the Japanese one's I've seen are not in the right-to-left format it's regular left-to-right. That's so odd. But There is no fan-service to speak of in the manga, but I never saw any in the anime episode I've seen so I really don't know if the anime is that fan-servicey as has been said. But there is some sexual jokes and one questionable scene at the start of the manga but no fan-service to be seen and there is a fair amount of cursing but about as much as what you hear in cowboy bebop. Oh there is other things that may offend people in there too. so It's good but if you saw the anime and didn't like it your probaly not gonna like the manga but I'm not sure because I've heard the anime is a direct translation of the manga but I'm not too sure how direct because I haven't seen the anime. It's rating is 13 and Up but I think it should be 16 and up for the sexual jokes and some of the other stuff in it. But it's one crazy ride, but I won't give My final, final thoughts on it till I read Vol. 2 of the manga and see the anime. Vol. 2 comes out in november.
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby Benu » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:35 pm

Oh and the art in the manga is done by Hajime Ueda not by Sadamoto(I don't know how to spell his name). Mabye that explains the no fanservice in the manga. But there is still the jokes because the story is still done by Gainax. But I won't know how good it holds up till I read vol 2.
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby Namu » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:28 pm

Woo! Manga form! I'd probably like this a bit better, because they talk fast at alot of points in the anime, and I'd probably understand it better in the manga....
The terrifying moldy bread incident! In elementary school, Yomi's leftover bread started rotting inside her desk! you can't imagine what happened! Not only that, but the mold had a will of its own, it was terrible! Barricading ourselves in the science prep room, we used spirit lamps and engaged in combat! Then I realized it!! If we only had the bottle of mildew remover from the bathroom, we could destroy them!!
-Tomo Takino, Azumanga Daioh
Namu

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:32 pm

I saw this manga at the comic store today...it's on my "To Buy" list, along with about 5 others...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kenchii » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:57 pm

It seem more funny as a anime then a manga too me..
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Kisa » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:39 pm

Never got to see the anime (heard it was great tho) and so I'm gonna get it in manga form soon so I can experience it . . . My bro says its hilarious and the best (kinda weird and random tho, ahhh who cares aslong as its good)! ^_^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Benu » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:40 pm

Really after I saw the anime I changed my mind about the manga. I recommend you see the anime before you read the manga. I did the reverse but I recommend everyone else do it the other way. The Anime came before the manga and the anime is way cleaner in the way of language and Sexual jokes. But the anime has some fans service but almost no nudity. The manga has no fan service or nudity so far. I haven't read vol. 2 yet.
Benu

Postby lightningp » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:14 pm

Volume 2 is even crazier! I read that one at Waldenbooks where I live. It is just hard to follow in some places but its pretty good!
Lightning Prophetess Online
www.lponline2k4.com
Psalms 127:1
Current Progress of LP:
Episode 4: 57% finished
Volume 2: (Planning stages)
Hype of Betrayal (Side Story): 10%- Script and cover art

AA Mangazene:
Issue 4 (finished)
Issue 5: In progress
lightningp

Postby Twilly Spree » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:51 pm

As for the sexual stuff in the manga, it was there in the anime just not as noticable. Hysterically good stuff.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Minawa » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:00 pm

I read and loved volume 1, but does any one know how many volumes of FLCL manga there are?
"when I have a heart I'll be able to laugh, love, and see something more beautiful in the world!"
Minawa

Postby Twilly Spree » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:10 pm

Just 2
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby wiggins » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:54 pm

Is it worth buying? Is it clean and ok for us as christians to read. I don't mind a bit of sexual humor as long as its not overboard or yaoi or homosexual. I'm looking for a new mnga to get into. Is it funny, exciting? What genre is it - action, comedy, etc.?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:23 pm

I've read volume 2 from the library, (don't know if they have volume 1). I picked it up because it was manga and to me it is like the artist was on a drug trip. I didn't understand anything I read and I don't understand why it was published. Ontop of that its got to have the most rubbish and undetailed art I've ever seen in a manga.
I'm not a fan.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Sephiroth » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:22 am

i may pick up the manga at some point, my local manga etc. dtore has both volumes, though i agree with Warrior 4 Jesus that the art isn't massively to my liking, i much prefer the art in the anime
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:47 am

That's what made that manga. The art! That's the only reason why I bought it. It's cool and different! But then my mom read them and she threw them into the spaghetti-filled trash can! NOOOOOOH! But I still loved it.
Ichigo_89

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:22 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I've read volume 2 from the library, (don't know if they have volume 1). I picked it up because it was manga and to me it is like the artist was on a drug trip. I didn't understand anything I read and I don't understand why it was published. Ontop of that its got to have the most rubbish and undetailed art I've ever seen in a manga.
I'm not a fan.

I'm not trying to argue but a manga can still be good yet have crappy detailed artwork. It is it's on style of art (kinda like those squiggly paintings artists do that look like crap but people go cracy over them and pay like $25,000 for a squiggly line). I personally like the artwork of the manga. It's not super detailed say like Rurouni Kenshin or any other manga with great artwork but it has it's own style that sets it apart.

I personally both like the series and the manga. They both have very different style of humor. The anime has a random, nonsense type humor while the manga has a tougne-in-cheek, dark humor. I like them both.
Hitokiri

Postby AngelSakura » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:17 pm

Mmm. I really like the art. I read the manga before I saw the anime, and I really love both of them. FLCL is my favorite anime, but Trigun is still my favorite manga.
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews