Bleach - Is it *Seriously* Worth Buying?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Bleach - Is it *Seriously* Worth Buying?

Postby everdred12a » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:25 am

I'm feeling compelled to buy a new manga, and I've had a slight interest in Bleach for awhile now, hearing people talking about it and whatnot. I don't really believe in hype too much though, due to a couple of major let downs I've had in the past. All in all, I'm not so sure if I want to get it, and I hate to waste money buying a manga just to lose interest later in the series. And to cut off any questions about it, yes I did read the review on this site, but it didn't really help me at all.

First, how is Bleach in comparison to Shaman King? Hopefully, It's better. I have read the first few of Shaman King mangas and the two seem to have similar themes in a general sense. I lost interest in Shaman King once the Shaman Tournament got into full swing, though.

Second, is there a whole lot of repetition in the series (think DBZ)? Also, does it keep a fairly steady pace throughout the series (I hate it when things go slow for a long time, but then things get lumped up towards the end)?

Any help is appreciated!

everdred12a

Postby Soukoru » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:55 am

As for the manga.... I'm not sure.
I have episodes 1-63 (basically the 1st and 2nd seasons).
One word: Awesome.
Meet Kurosaki Ichigo: a high school student, 15 years old, and who can see ghosts for as long as he can remember.
Meet Kuchigi Rukia: a shinigami (death god) who slays demon like forms called "Hollows" that usually go after the ghosts still remaining on this earth. Rukia has the ability to send both the wandering spirits and Hollows to a place called "Soul Society" or Heaven (she says it in the anime too).
Their paths meet when a Hollow chases after a ghost girl that Ichigo usually brings flowers for. The Hollow attacks the girl but Rukia appears out of nowhere and slays the Hollow. Both Rukia and the Hollow disappear.
Later on that night, they meet again in Ichigo's room. Rukia knows a Hollow is about to attack, but doesn't know that Ichigo can see her, resulting in a kick to the head from Ichigo when she ignores his questioning.
She explains then about Shinigami, Hollows, and ghosts in the world. Ichigo somewhat understands but doesn't believe her and calls her a brat. Bad move.
She uses something called "Way of the Demon" magic to bind him and they argue some more. She explains that the Hollow is nearby but can't seem to sense it's presence. Ichigo hears it and yells at her, "Can't you hear it's loud voice?!"
She pauses for a moment and then it hits her. The Hollow is outside and has already injured Ichigo's two younger sisters. Rukia goes out to confront the demon, but Ichigo manages to move around, even under the Binding Spell and eventually breaks out of it. A fight breaks out and Rukia gets injured defending Ichigo. She becomes to weak to fight it and explains that there is one way for him to defeat the Hollow. He has to stab her "Soul Slayer" or sword through his heart and become a Shinigami. He agrees and becomes extremely quick and powerful (and somehow has Cloud's sword now :lol: or at least close to it).
Rukia comments that no human has ever clouded her senses from a Hollow before, no human has been able to break a Binding Spell before, and she has NEVER seen a Soul Slayer that HUGE before. As she is commenting on these things, Ichigo defeats the Hollow.
And so ends episode 1.

As for the realism and storyline, graphics, awesome-ness factor, etc., it takes the cake. If you've heard of Naurto before, then it's like Naruto but with swords minus the ninjas.

IMHO, Bleach is extremely good. However, when it gets to around the third season is not all that entertaining (because a lot of the rules change....). If you want to make sure you don't waste your money, don't worry. You won't. ;)

Have fun reading!
DDR Master

Ph34R t3E Cu73 0n3s
Soukoru

Postby MasterDias » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:56 am

First, how is Bleach in comparison to Shaman King? Hopefully, It's better. I have read the first few of Shaman King mangas and the two seem to have similar themes in a general sense. I lost interest in Shaman King once the Shaman Tournament got into full swing, though.

I can't make a full comparison with Shaman King since I have not yet read all of SK. There has not been a fighting tournament so far in Bleach however. Bleach does have plenty of fights and several training sequences in the usual shonen fashion.

Second, is there a whole lot of repetition in the series (think DBZ)? Also, does it keep a fairly steady pace throughout the series (I hate it when things go slow for a long time, but then things get lumped up towards the end)?
In my opinion, Bleach is paced quite a bit better than DBZ. Bleach hasn't finished yet, and probably won't for quite awhile so there isn't any end to speak of currently... Bleach is one of the best still-running shonen manga on the market right now.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:47 pm

Bleach is one of those animes/mangas that took me about 20 episodes to get really hooked on. As in the second "season" or arc of the story really got me hooked, as the first really didn't as much.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:05 pm

Before asking that question, I'd urge you to consider why you feel compelled to purchase a new manga in the first place...

That aside, Bleach is at the top of my list of currently running shonen manga. If you want to get a feel for it, go to a bookstore and skim the first six volumes. By that point you'll have the gist of it, though you won't have gotten to the really good part of the plot. Unlike many long-running manga, Bleach has a lot of evidence of a strong plot that has been planned from the beginning, it just takes quite a bit of time to reveal all of it.
uc pseudonym

Postby everdred12a » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:25 pm

Thanks everyone.

Before asking that question, I'd urge you to consider why you feel compelled to purchase a new manga in the first place...

I'm not really sure what question you were talking about, uc, but I just haven't bought any manga in a long time, and about 90% of manga currently on the market fails to interest me. I had thought about Deathnote for awhile, but when I heard more about its story, I lost interest in it, too. I just don't want to get something that disappoints me. Unfortunately, two of my major disappointments have been mangas, and I'm just trying to keep that from happening again.

Also, thanks to Soukoru for that brief analysis of the first little bit.

Another question: I know that there are something like 10 books out in America, but how many make up the first arc?

everdred12a

Postby MasterDias » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:47 pm

First story arc goes up to about volume 7 or 8.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Soukoru » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:06 am

everdred12a wrote:Also, thanks to Soukoru for that brief analysis of the first little bit.

Glad to be of help. ^-^

This migth also help as well. On Anime News Network (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com) here is a comparison of Bleach to DBZ.

Bleach:
User Ratings: 1111 ratings have been given.

Masterpiece: 400 votes (sub:367, dub:24, raw:5, ?:2, Spa.sub:1, Fre.sub:1)
Excellent: 395 votes (sub:373, dub:14, raw:3, Por.sub:2, Fre.sub:1, Spa.sub:1, edit.dub:1)
Very good: 184 votes (sub:167, dub:9, raw:3, edit.dub:2, Por.sub:1, ?:1, Spa.sub:1)
Good: 68 votes (sub:63, dub:4, Fre.sub:1)
Decent: 22 votes (sub:19, dub:2, Ita.sub:1)
So-so: 21 votes (sub:21)
Not really good: 5 votes (sub:5)
Weak: 12 votes (sub:8, raw:3, dub:1)
Bad: 4 votes (sub:4)
Awful: -
Worst ever: -
Seen in part or in whole by 2143 users, rank: #22
Median rating: Excellent
Arithmetic mean: 8.8275 (Excellent-.17), std. dev.: 1.3747, rank: #56
Weighted mean: 8.6334 (Excellent-.36), rank: #64
Bayesian estimate: 8.62053 (Excellent-.37), rank: #17

DBZ:
User Ratings: 1150 ratings have been given.

Masterpiece: 90 votes (dub:47, sub:26, edit.dub:9, ?:4, Spa.dub:3, raw:1)
Excellent: 127 votes (dub:67, sub:30, edit.dub:13, Spa.dub:5, Por.dub:4, raw:3, Ger.dub:2, Spa.edit.dub:1, Fre.dub:1, ?:1)
Very good: 166 votes (dub:93, sub:45, edit.dub:13, ?:5, raw:5, Spa.dub:2, Fre.edit.dub:1, Ger.edit.dub:1, Ger.dub:1)
Good: 225 votes (dub:123, sub:55, edit.dub:17, ?:10, Por.dub:6, Ger.dub:4, Dut.sub:3, raw:3, Spa.dub:2, Fre.dub:1, Spa.edit.dub:1)
Decent: 186 votes (dub:100, edit.dub:37, sub:35, ?:5, Ger.dub:3, Fre.dub:2, Spa.dub:2, raw:1, Por.dub:1)
So-so: 95 votes (dub:51, sub:22, edit.dub:16, ?:4, Spa.dub:1, Ger.dub:1)
Not really good: 80 votes (dub:45, sub:16, edit.dub:14, raw:2, ?:2, Por.dub:1)
Weak: 64 votes (dub:36, edit.dub:19, sub:7, ?:1, Ger.dub:1)
Bad: 46 votes (dub:26, edit.dub:10, sub:5, ?:3, raw:1, Ger.dub:1)
Awful: 36 votes (dub:21, sub:8, edit.dub:6, ?:1)
Worst ever: 35 votes (dub:15, sub:12, edit.dub:7, ?:1)
Seen in part or in whole by 2360 users, rank: #14
Median rating: Good
Arithmetic mean: 6.2676 (Decent+.26), std. dev.: 2.4982, rank: #1644
Weighted mean: 6.1676 (Decent+.16), rank: #1677
Bayesian estimate: 6.17896 (Decent+.17), rank: #1333

Hope that wasn't too confusing.
Out of the people who visit and vote on the Anime News Network, it has yet to be given an awful or worst-ever vote! (And the voting on the site is pretty reliable, IMO).
DDR Master

Ph34R t3E Cu73 0n3s
Soukoru

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:03 am

everdred12a wrote:I'm not really sure what question you were talking about, uc,

I just meant that before thinking about if Bleach is worth buying, you should think about if you really need to buy any particular series. Given your explanation, I understand your statement better.

everdred12a wrote:Another question: I know that there are something like 10 books out in America, but how many make up the first arc?

MasterDias' answer is correct, but I'd like to note that "arcs" in Bleach are merely convenient ways of grouping parts of the story. Unlike Dragonball Z, where there are a number of sets of stories that have nothing to do with one another, the entire story of Bleach forms one cohesive plot. But the first major portion of that plot takes up 7-8 volumes.
uc pseudonym

Postby everdred12a » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 am

Thanks again to uc and Soukoru for your help. I think I might swing by Borders this weekend and do a little browsing for myself.

Also, I notice people are making lots of references to DBZ. The only reason I mentioned DBZ to begin with is because DBZ has been the worst paced anime I've ever seen (no offense intended to DBZ fans, but this is my opinion). I'm not trying to compare Bleach, or anything else, for that matter, yo DBZ.

everdred12a

Postby MasterDias » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:57 pm

Well, DBZ is sort of the staple shonen series. It's the most famous Shonen Jump property so thus it often gets picked for comparisons the most.

I do agree with you that its pacing is pretty weak.

MasterDias

Postby Shepherdmoon » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:37 pm

I would recommend bleach if you really like alot of fights
(also they tend last a long time).
Shepherdmoon

Postby Night » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:11 am

Yes, Bleach is definetly worth it. It starts out rather slow in the beginning (I recommond you read that part anyway since it has scenes that will later become important), but by volume 6, the series starts to make the transition from normal series to badarseness.

Truthfully, I find it to be one of, if not the, best Shonen Jump title out there now.
SpadeRunner Illustrations - Comic coming soon...ish.
Night

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:43 am

heh... well its one of my all time favourite mangas.. So I reccomend it! I dunno if thats any help.
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:24 pm

buy it. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
jon_jinn

Postby everdred12a » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:34 pm

I think I will buy Bleach, but not right this moment. I have other things that I need to put some money away for.

everdred12a

Postby Myoti » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Truthfully, I find it to be one of, if not the, best Shonen Jump title out there now.

It's 'one of'. Xp
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:41 pm

Whatever title could you be alluding to, Myoti? Your position is always so disinterested and evenhanded that I honestly have no idea.

That was meant to be light-hearted; please don't take it the wrong way...
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:22 am

Indeed. I keep such care into the mystery I'm sure NO ONE could ever discover it's secret. Xp

(I say again, I wouldn't think anything of it were not for a certain One Winged Angel staring at me... deep into me... in my SOOOOULL!!! O~O )

Anyways, back on topic, I really should get back to reading this (and, when I get the chance, actually purchase it).
Myoti

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:16 am

you don't have to buy bleach. you could always just read it at the book store. it gives you something to do when you're bored and you save a LOT of money.
jon_jinn

Postby Soukoru » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:27 am

jon_jinn wrote:you don't have to buy bleach. you could always just read it at the book store. it gives you something to do when you're bored and you save a LOT of money.

BOO!!! You must buy!! The awesome-ness of this series COMPELLS you to do so!!
:lol: Actually, if you really do want to save on money, you can always read it in the store and remember it for later on. That's how I read Chobits and finished it. Of course, if it is good enough that you want to buy it, buy it! (However, the Negima! series was smart and wrapped all their books in plastic covering. So if you tore that off, you bought it; no questions asked... T.T)
DDR Master

Ph34R t3E Cu73 0n3s
Soukoru

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:29 pm

Myoti wrote:It's 'one of'. Xp

Yup, Death Note being #1
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Myoti » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:55 pm

Yup, Death Note being #1

In some aspects, perhaps, but not what I was referring to... *cough*

Actually, I have yet to read that either... I am so far behind. >_>
Myoti

Postby everdred12a » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:12 pm

Just to put in my two cents, neither Deathnote or One Piece impress me so much. Either way, you guys are taking this off-topic.

everdred12a

Postby Myoti » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:08 pm

Sorry. Yes, Bleach is probably worth it, but I guess we were also trying to put in what else we think is worth it (and if you end up liking Bleach, I don't see why you wouldn't like One Piece...).
Myoti

Postby everdred12a » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:38 pm

Sorry if I came off as harsh before. To be honest, I find most of the Shonen Jump stuff unimpressive or uninteresting. That was one of my major reservations about Bleach. Much like One Piece and Naruto, Bleach is subject to a truckload of hype, which I've learned not to take too seriously. However, some of the characters interest me, namely Ichigo and Rukia; a friend of mine from school was talking about it and did an art project featuring them and gave me a brief explanation over them. He was a real hardcore anime fan, and his interests were usually in raw anime. This was when it was still unlicensed, and I just never got around to checking it out. The paranormal theme is another thing that interests me, in certain contexts. Things that lie along the lines of Yu Yu Hakusho and Shaman King (which is why I wanted to give Bleach a look), for instance. However, despite the paranormal theme of Deathnote, it's just a different part of the paranormal, and not one that I'm too enthusiastic about.

I may have been wandering here, and I'm sorry.

everdred12a

Postby Myoti » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm like that as well (I love Shaman King! :D ), so Bleach got my interest as well. Though if anything I think I had a strange attraction to the designs of the Hollows (I love really unique creature designs).

This is why it actually still comes as a surprise to me that I ended up liking One Piece so much, which has very few "paranormal" themes.
Myoti

Postby Soukoru » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:22 pm

Not too many people happen to like One Piece and Bleach. I happen to be one of them. ^-^;;

I haven't seen too much of One Piece to actually give a good review on why I don't like it (sorry going off topic), but Bleach is pretty good in the fact that the main character and the heroine have pretty funny arguments. One of the main things that are highlighted in this series (and that I like a lot) are the fights that Ichigo and Rukia have between each other. ^-^

EDIT: Actually, I meant to say a few people don't like it and I happen to be one of them sorry for the mistake.
DDR Master

Ph34R t3E Cu73 0n3s
Soukoru

Postby MasterDias » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:37 am

Soukoru wrote:Not too many people happen to like One Piece and Bleach.

I'm not sure if you phrased this wrong or what, but both One Piece and Bleach are extremely popular...which conflicts directly with your statement.

MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:05 am

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Possibly meant "in America". Bleach is only in manga format here (licensed) but the anime isn't, while the One Piece anime was so horribly done it's not quite as popular in America as it should have been.
Myoti

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews