The most awesome manga and why it is so

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

The most awesome manga and why it is so

Postby Sai » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:48 pm

So yeah, its basically what the title is, The most awesome manga and why you think it is so. Just curious about your opinions.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby Lynx » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:33 pm

hmmmm.... kare kano and fruits basket are my top pics. They're both just such amazing stories, i cant say enough good things about them, hurry up and read already;)

both are really cute "girly" stories, but can be enjoyed by boys and girls alike. ^_^
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Rogie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:46 pm

Yotsuba&! The only manga I've ever cracked up at aloud and then couldn't quit for a while. Even thinking about some of the stuff that kid gets into makes me laugh.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Debitt » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:01 pm

Tactics. The story revolves around Japanese mythology and how people in a more "modern" society react to elements of the supernatural. ^^ Also, the main character, Ichinomiya Kantarou, is in my opinion one of the most intriguing manga protagonists ever.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Ashley » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 pm

I would say probably Full Moon o Sagashite. The art is gorgeous, the storyline far from typical and heartwrenching; short enough to be without filler, long enough to savor.

Fruits Basket was a close 2nd, but the art to me is inferior to Tanemura-sensei, and I haven't read all of it so I don't know the full details of the plot.
Ashley

Postby Joshua Christopher » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:34 pm

Berserk, because my word is law.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Icarus » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Learn Alcoholic Beverage Names the Easy Way! Otherwise known as Jing: King of Bandits.

Why? Because it would look bad if I nominated a shojo title.

... I kid. In the first place, there's Kir, He is a talking albatross with an eye for the ladies, and an explosive cough. Then there's Jing himself, the only "Mama's boy" I know of that could steal your purse/wallet/family heirlooms, and kick monster butt in the process. I won't claim the it has the best (read most beautiful) artwork, but Initial D it is not.As far as the story goes, it's rather interesting For the most part, each volume sees Jing on a new adventure, and there is little connection between stories. But still, It's swingin'.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:47 pm

Nausicca: for the detailed art and imagination and manga/bandedesinee hybrid look
The New Kindaichi Case Files: for quality, suspenseful and mysterious stories in a series of crime manga. They leave you guessing until the end.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:03 pm

I'm very old school. "Ah, Megamisama" (Oh, My Goddess) is my all time favorite, because no matter how perverse or low the mangaka COULD have gone with any given situation, he always manages to steer the ship into "good clean fun" instead. For those who only know it from the various anime renditions, you need to know that these, as good as they were, always paled in comparison to the Manga. I'm also very big on Urusei Yatsura for similar reasons.

My favorite currently publishing series is "Yotsuba&". And I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again, if I ever meet Yotsuba, I'm adopting her on the spot.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:43 pm

I'd say Fruits basket
Last edited by SorasOathkeeper on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SorasOathkeeper

Postby Myoti » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:46 am

Obviously, I go for One Piece.

It's fun, yet has a great, epic story (once you get further along), well thought out events and fights, unique (and a PLETHORA) of characters, and manages to throw in good humor just at the right time. ;)

The art IS simplistic, but it's still quite good and fitting for the style.
If anything, for a Shonen title to have gone this long (now 399 Chapters) and STILL be good, that's worth something.

Oh yeah... it's got afros. XD
Myoti

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:46 am

20th Century Boys. Those of you who've read this manga must know how excellent and wonderfully crafted the storyline is and the characters are developed. It is very interesting to see how people who live normal lives must take a stand against a grave threat that looms over the earth. So good. I can't even begin to describe how awesome this manga is.
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:18 am

A tie between One Piece and Full Metal Alchemist.

The plos are wicked good with sweet character developement and villians. One Piece and FMA are opposite as far as story structure goes.

OP looks like it will keep going until the popularity dies down but FMA is a story that has an ending before it begins.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:34 am

Yeah. I haven't really read the FMA manga but the anime ended horrible (in my opinion) and it left too many unanswered questions.
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:44 pm

Rurouni Kenshin. No contest. :grin:

I'd say that this is my favorite for several reasons, really. One, it was my first, and therefore; it has sentimental value. Two, it's hysterical. The comedy in it cracks me up, I love it! Three, the characters. There's no way you can't like the main characters (and even some of the villians!); they're all so interesting and likeable! Most times, I have a hard time choosing my favorite character. Four, the love story. Kenshin and Kaoru are just so cute together! :3 Five, the storyline. It's gripping; I have a hard time putting the volumes down! Six, the action and fight scenes. Love 'em! And finally, I find that period in Japanese history to be very interesting. So yeah, Kenshin definitely gets my vote for best! :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:35 pm

jon_jinn wrote:Yeah. I haven't really read the FMA manga but the anime ended horrible (in my opinion) and it left too many unanswered questions.

I'm not a big fan of the show, but I really like the manga. Around the point where Ed and Al visit Izumi again, the plots veer off in different directions. The manga's is much, much better. And doesn't have huge plotholes like the anime.
Joshua Christopher

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:20 pm

well, maybe i should check it out. how many volumes long is the manga suppose the be?
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:34 pm

It`s around 20 volumes. The plot is completely different.

You do know that there is a movie after the last episode of FMA that wraps up the series, right?
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:44 pm

i know that there's a movie but i haven't seen it yet.
jon_jinn

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:11 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:You do know that there is a movie after the last episode of FMA that wraps up the series, right?

Dear Lord, was that ever a bad movie.

I think the directors just said, "Hey! Forget logic! Let's make some random crap and give vague explanations for everything!"

For the love of God and all that is holy, stick to the manga.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Tommy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:42 am

I am where the manga is now (Chapter 56) and am currently wathing the finale of the series.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:55 am

well, i guess i ought to try the manga then.
jon_jinn

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:58 am

Battle Angel Alita. Gorgeous art, intricate plot, crazy cool charachter design.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Myoti » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:31 pm

For the love of God and all that is holy, stick to the manga.

Thank you for sparing me, Impact. Guess I'll be sticking to it, then. :D
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:44 pm

No, Myoti, the anime is awesome.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Ichigo_89 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:29 pm

[quote="Grayscale Ninja"]Beyblades first season (Dutch Dubs) because that's what first got me into anime. That and it's got Ray in it >_>...

Er, and then I'd have to say Fruits Basket, even though I can only watch the first 6 episoides ]
Uhm, this thread is referring to manga, not anime. (manga=japanese comics) Just thought I'd clear that up.

I havn't read a ton of manga, but from what I have, I think the best are:

Rurouni Kenshin: Well for one, it comes out EVERY MONTH!! And at $7.95, it's one series that you can empty your wallet on pretty fast. The art is great, the fighting is awesome, some good comedy relief, great characters, and a long running story that just gets better and better.

Trigun/Trigun Maximum: I'm a little baised on this one, but I love it!! The writing is usually poetic/visual oriented. The characters are legendary in the anime world, I mean, who DOESN'T like Vash?!! Great action, Good art, the humor cracks me up, and story is just...good.
Ichigo_89

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:05 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:No, Myoti, the anime is awesome.

The first half is decent. The second half is horrible and full of nonsense, inconsistencies, and plotholes. Of course if you like that sorta thing, be my guest.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Myoti » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:08 pm

I didn't say I WON'T watch the anime, but in my current (poor) state, I'll go with the manga.
Myoti

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:14 am

Rogie-san wrote:Yotsuba&! The only manga I've ever cracked up at aloud and then couldn't quit for a while. Even thinking about some of the stuff that kid gets into makes me laugh.

I bought volumes 1-3, and I still found azumanga daioh funnier

My vote goes for Monster and 20th Century Boys, they top all other manga in art and plot.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tommy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:25 pm

And why is this so?
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews