What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Scribs » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:44 pm

Selections from The Prince
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Fionn Fael » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:11 pm

Eldest, by Christopher Paolini. Yes, yes, I'm very behind, I know.
Formerly known as haru_bay_nay

Avatar by: tinamakesicons(LiveJournal.com)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." --Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

“To put alcohol in the human is like putting sand in the bearing of an engine." --Thomas Edison

[color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]The simplest way that I can understand therapy is that we're born a certain way, we're taught to be something different, and we spend our whole lives trying to unravel it and ultimately align ourselves with who we really are. Life, experiences, traumas -- whatever -- they all add up to make you some altered version of what you are. So there's this battle that goes on between what you are and what you become, and it's been very important for me to unravel what I was taught to be or what I became. and to draw a direct parallel to music -- the closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets..." --Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins frontman)[/font][/color]

Adopted by KhakiBlueSocks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fionn Fael

Postby Rambo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:52 pm

Hay all how are you doin well the last book I read was Glorious Appering I am not done on last couple chapters and I am also reading "A Song of Ice and Fire" its a series of boks fantasy knights dragons krakens but the authoer is very perverted sorry for that word but he is I like ths plot and story but there is a lot he could have done with out but I like it I do not recomend you reading it.(some s..)not good. Hay did any one read "the present"?
The Lord my God Rarely works the same way twice but the out come is always the same.[/SIZE]
C. S. Lewis is such a great writer. I have read his Screwtape Letters, his Great Divorce, and am no working on his Mere Christianity.
Rambo

Postby Kaori » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:07 pm

I re-read Howl's Moving Castle yesterday, and for class I am partway through Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Doe Johnson » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:49 pm

I just finished "Steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse for a class. It was kinda weird but interesting. Either tonight or tomorrow I'm going to start *shudders* "A Clockwork Orange" by I Have No Clue Who The Author Is for a different class. I'm so dreading that.

The last books I read for pleasure were "Knife of Dreams" from the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, "A Feast for Crows" from the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, "Memiors of a Geisha" by Aurthur Golden(that is his name, right?), .hack//AI buster - the first book in the .hack series, and "Monster" by Frank Peretti.

Rambo wrote:I am also reading "A Song of Ice and Fire" its a series of boks fantasy knights dragons krakens but the authoer is very perverted sorry for that word but he is I like ths plot and story but there is a lot he could have done with out but I like it I do not recomend you reading it.(some s..)not good. Hay did any one read "the present"?

I too read "A Song of Ice and Fire." Martin really doesn't need lots of the things he puts in (in fact, most fantasy writers could take out stuff), but I really love the story line. I just wish "A Dance with Dragons" would come out soon.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:56 pm

I'm reading Great Expectations.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:31 am

Doe Johnson wrote:I just finished "Steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse for a class. It was kinda weird but interesting. Either tonight or tomorrow I'm going to start *shudders* "A Clockwork Orange" by I Have No Clue Who The Author Is for a different class. I'm so dreading that.

The last books I read for pleasure were "Knife of Dreams" from the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, "A Feast for Crows" from the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, "Memiors of a Geisha" by Aurthur Golden(that is his name, right?), .hack//AI buster - the first book in the .hack series, and "Monster" by Frank Peretti.

I too read "A Song of Ice and Fire." Martin really doesn't need lots of the things he puts in (in fact, most fantasy writers could take out stuff), but I really love the story line. I just wish "A Dance with Dragons" would come out soon.

Clockwork Orange is by Anthony Burgess. And you have every reason to shudder. I read it myself, I should know. That guy is a real psycho. :evil:
rocklobster

Postby righteous_slave » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:40 am

I am getting quite a bit of reading done on breaks at work. I finished 1984 and Joyce Meyers "Enjoying where you are on the way to where you are going" and now am about halfway though War of the Worlds. It took a little bit to really get into the book, but the impending doom and hopelessness of the situation is really starting to come through.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Locke » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:40 pm

Help! I'm a Student Leader - Doug Fields

Our Pastor passed these out on saturday and were supposed to read through them. Too bad i'm done already. Tiny book, but tons of things to learn.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Lady Arianrod » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:11 pm

I'm going to start "Things Fall Apart" soon for my Cultural Core class.
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:19 pm

I got The Fushigi Yugi Ultimate Fan Guide in the mail and can't wait to read it.
Now I have to get the anime as well!
mitsuki lover

Postby Doe Johnson » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:59 pm

I finished A Clockwork Orange. It wasn't quite as bad as I've had it described to me (or maybe I've just learned to ignore certain parts of stories) but it was rather weird. I actually think the nasdat slovos helped me ingore some of the real "horrorshow" parts since I couldn't fully viddy them, o my brothers. I don't know if I said that right, lol. I have yet to grasp exactly what was meant by the term horrshow, I swear it was used in both good and bad ways.

Next week I'm starting The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf. No clue what it's about, just know the author wrote it in German.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Anti-me » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:36 pm

The Norton Reader, its for a class, but there's a lot of good random stuff in there.
Anti-me

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:51 pm

I'm readign Soon by Jerry Jenkins and I'm also reading my frined's notes on time travel.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Scribs » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:29 am

An Actor Prepares by Stanislavski
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby VashTheStampede » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:24 am

The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel
I felt Your hands move mine aside, as those nails were driven down [[color=Gold]†][/color]
"There is a time for everything. A season for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

~Do not have feelings of animosity and resentment towards the depressing times in your life, but turn to God in praise for the days He gives you. Along with the times of joy He blesses you with, also come the times of hardship. For how can one reach for the stars without darkness?~

"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21

"And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)

Digitally Imported Radio<-~-~Love Techno?~:cool:
Myspace!<--PM me for info if you wanna add me:sweat:
VashTheStampede

Postby Sennin » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:57 am

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
-Theodore Roosevelt

When asked what wine he liked to drink, he replied, “That which belongs to another.â€
Sennin

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:10 pm

A Wounded Thing Must Hide:In Search Of Libbie Custer by Jeremy Poolman
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:25 am

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
In the Shadow of No Towers by Art Spiegelman

The former I have just finished. Overall an enjoyable read, despite being written for a younger audience, though the ending disappointed me. I have only browsed the latter and will seriously read it later tonight when I have free time.
uc pseudonym

Postby Scribs » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:18 am

Tempest-Tost By Robertson Davies
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:03 pm

Took three days to read Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince and [spoiler=the ending]I don't believe that Snape was a traitor.[/spoiler]
mitsuki lover

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:13 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Took three days to read Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince and [spoiler=the ending]I don't believe that Snape was a traitor.[/spoiler]

To quote Naruto: "Believe It!"

Though, in all honesty, I kinda sorta expected it. My Toe Sock Sense started tingling.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:14 am

I added spoiler tags to that, because I can imagine some people who are behind on the series being really angry about learning that detail. Meanwhile, I will soon begin reading Crucifixus Etiam by Walter Miller Jr. No comment about it yet, of course.
uc pseudonym

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:20 pm

The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis.

EDIT: My 777 post!
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:20 am

Foucalt's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. An interesting book so far.
bigsleepj

Postby Sennin » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:34 am

War in Heaven by Charles Williams and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein.
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
-Theodore Roosevelt

When asked what wine he liked to drink, he replied, “That which belongs to another.â€
Sennin

Postby Mave » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:44 pm

One day, I randomly picked up a book by Danielle Steele ('Irresistable Forces') out of curiosity and halfway through, I refused to read the whole thing after peeking at the ending. It was slightly depressing as it involved a happily married couple who was torn apart due to their hectic schedules, which led to affairs.

Sigh. No more DS for me.
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:53 pm

Maus by Art Spiegelman
Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin

I'm half way through the former and enjoying it much more than In the Shadow of No Towers. The author tells his father's story of surviving the Holocaust, but also shows his father telling him that story and their current lives. This aspect of it is really sad, as there are so many things wrong with his life and he's responsible for many of them.

The latter I am not far into, but so far I am neither impressed nor turned away. If the theme is truly only what the literary critics say it is, however (preconceived ideas about gender are bad), then I will be disappointed.
uc pseudonym

Postby Scribs » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:44 pm

An Actor Prepares by Constantine Stanislavski
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Locke » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:03 pm

I found my copy of Redwall by Brian Jacques last night when I was cleaning my room, started it too. Why I love this book is the simple fact that Jacques makes an epic out of an ordinary story.

Maybe I'll read Triss next.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner