The network TV: anime schedule and schedule changes thread!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Rogie » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:08 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Well it would help if they would keep the schedule for more than a month.I don't see how they can complain about ratings when they keep changing it around all the time.You need to keep building an audience for something like anime,you don't do that by switching the schedule every month or two.The only way to have the anime ratings improve would be to stick with an all anime schedule for Saturdays for at least a year.

Amen to that!

And if they had tried a little harder on their end, Detective Conan (Case Closed) would've maybe done better in the ratings, too.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:25 pm

Also I would like to point out that very rarely does ratings really have to do with what is aired.Most of the time it really is what TPTB perfer to air,or else what their friends and family perfer to watch.Gilligan's Island was only cancelled after it's third season not because of poor ratings but because the wife of the then head of CBS perferred Gunsmoke and the only avaible time slot was Gilligan's Island.Then again also remember that Alien Nation was riding high when it was so mysteriously cancelled by FOX.In fact the cast had just all signed up for season 2 when the news of the show's cancellation came.
So let's not say it was poor ratings when ratings don't really come into something like this,especially when TPTB don't allow enough time for a fanbase to grow.
mitsuki lover

Postby freerock1 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:21 pm

Really, I think it has less to do with ratings than with them wanting to push the AS originals. Apparently anime can't be doing too horribly for AS, for AS to be the #1 network late nights among 18-34 year olds, and for them to still keep the anime around 5 nights a week.

And I agree with Rogie-San on Case Closed. I do think if they'd run premieres on Saturday nights, as I believe was the original plan, it would have done better. Actually, in the current Cartoon Network environment of somewhat laxed standards & practices, they might have given it a shot on Toonami, albeit likely with a few edits.
Theme Scripture: Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. (Galatians 5:1)

And a verse for all us single folks: Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? (1 Corinthians 9:5)

:dance: Looking for a GOOD music mix? Check out these stations:
Grey FM Heartland -- a mix of Country and Contemporary Christian music (Listen Now!)
Grey FM Downtown -- a mix of mainstream and Christian pop and rock music (Listen Now!)

More real stuff...
freerock1

Location: In your computer speakers, if you're listening to ChargeRadio.com

Postby Rogie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:33 pm

Since some of the episodes don't require graphic crime scenes as much as others, and since there are SO many Detective Conan episodes, they could've easily run it on Toonami with some edits for the younger crowd. But oh, well. As long as Funimation continues releasing it, I'll be happy. I do wish that they would start releasing the series in boxes or something, since that makes more sense for a show that's addictive like this. Sorta like what Tokyopop did with Marmalade Boy, released across four boxes within a year.

But I'm getting off-topic, aren't I? :sweat:
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:50 pm

freerock1 wrote:Really, I think it has less to do with ratings than with them wanting to push the AS originals. Apparently anime can't be doing too horribly for AS, for AS to be the #1 network late nights among 18-34 year olds, and for them to still keep the anime around 5 nights a week.

And I agree with Rogie-San on Case Closed. I do think if they'd run premieres on Saturday nights, as I believe was the original plan, it would have done better. Actually, in the current Cartoon Network environment of somewhat laxed standards & practices, they might have given it a shot on Toonami, albeit likely with a few edits.

If you had read what I had posted closer you would have noted that my entire argument was that ratings as such are really rather a myth that
TPTB use to justify abrupt schedule changes.Indeed the odd thing is that if you follow the AS schedule it almost appears that the anime schedule has been doing a lot better than the 'comedy'schedule especially the original
series that AS has been trying to hype.The Sunday schedule in fact has gone through more changes than the Saturday schedule.
mitsuki lover

Postby freerock1 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:51 pm

I read your post; I was just offering my own take on the "ratings myth." ;)

There's really a number of factors that play into programming decisions, and you are correct that sometimes a programmers' preference will sway a decision one way or the other. It goes against the rules of good media, but it's only human nature.

My point is that AS probably believes pushing their original comedies more will help increase their profit. Except for maybe Boondocks, the AS originals usually are fairly inexpensive to make and pull in decent ratings (maybe not great, but decent enough to bring in the ad dollars). This is probably why widely loathed shows with less than stellar production, like Tom Goes to the Mayor and 12 Oz. Mouse, have gotten renewals.

An example from the flip-side... Comedy Central had an original, scripted sitcom a few years ago called That's My Bush. It received a lot of hype and pulled in fairly good ratings, but was cancelled after only 1 season. The reason, from what I understand, is that it was a fairly expensive show to make and wasn't bringing in enough advertising dollars to justify keeping it on the air.

Hopefully this clarifies my previous post. And I am in total agreement with you that the importance of ratings in and of themselves is (for lack of a better term) overrated. Ratings are a factor, but the primary reason is that they (in theory) drive advertising, which boosts the bottom line.
Theme Scripture: Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. (Galatians 5:1)

And a verse for all us single folks: Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? (1 Corinthians 9:5)

Grey FM Heartland -- a mix of Country and Contemporary Christian music (Listen Now!)
Grey FM Downtown -- a mix of mainstream and Christian pop and rock music (Listen Now!)

More real stuff...
freerock1

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:22 pm

As far as Boondocks goes,just from watching the ads I find it ironically a lot more violent and objectionable than any anime I have ever seen,including Gungrave.
mitsuki lover

Postby freerock1 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:31 pm

Anime Unleashed has picked up another airing on G4: Saturday nights (Sunday mornings) at 2AM Eastern/11PM Pacific. Nothing new; it's a repeat of Friday night's episodes.

Still, it's an hour more of AU than we had a few weeks ago.

More real stuff...
freerock1

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:41 pm

Just a recap of what is the lineup for Jan.

me wrote:Starting on Saturday January 7 the lineup will new episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist at 12 am and, Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig at 12:30 a.m.

Repeats of Neon Genesis Evangelion will be now at 1 a.m. and they will bring backCowboy Bebop and show it at 1:30 a.m.

The lineup for weeknight, starting January 2, will be s-CRY-ed at 1 a.m. and Lupin the 3rd at 1:30 a.m. Now there is where some will get lost, The 12:30 a.m. slot will rotate programming every day and here is the lineup for that.

FLCL on Mondays
InuYasha on Tuesdays,
Samurai Champloo on Wednesdays
Neon Genesis Evangelion on Thursdays.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:00 am

Well this one got away from me.

Inuyasha ep that was showed tonight was a new ep.

The ep was called Inuyasha "Don't Boil It! The Terrifying Dried-Up Demon"

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:54 am

Ack! I thought they were still showing re-runs...! Are they still going to replay the episodes later in the week, or not? :sniffle:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:08 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Ack! I thought they were still showing re-runs...! Are they still going to replay the episodes later in the week, or not? :sniffle:

Doesn't look like it.

But who knows. I really think this is dumb on AS part for messing up the lineup like this.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:29 pm

Note to everyone.

12:30 am EST, Tonight's ep of Samurai Champloo will be a new ep.

Edit: Opps, It's next week ep that is new.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:44 pm

All times are Eastern Time!

AS lineup from 1-20-06 to 1-31-2006

Note: New eps are in Bold

Thursday Nights
12:30AM Neon Genesis Evangelion (new eps)
1:00AM s-CRY-ed
1:30AM Lupin the 3rd
5:00AM Big O
5:30AM Gigantor

Saturday nights
12:00AM Fullmetal Alchemist (new eps)
12:30AM Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2rd Gig (new eps)
1:00AM Neon Genesis Evangelion (encore from Thursday night) Will put up from two weeks ago, because they didn't show them on Christmas Eve or New Years Eve)
1:30AM Cowboy Bebop

Monday Nights
12:30AM Fooly Cooly

Tuesday Nights
12:30AM Inuyasha (New eps)

Wednesday Nights
12:30AM Samurai Champloo (new eps)

Toonami lineup from 1-7-06 to 2-4-06
7:00PM Duel Masters (new eps)
7:30PM Dragon Ball Z
8:30PM Zatch Bell (new eps)
9:00PM Naruto (new eps)
9:30PM One Piece
10:00PM Bobobobo Bo-Bobo (new eps)
10:30PM IGPX (new eps)

Friday Nights

This would be am Sat morning

01-7-06
5:00AM .hack//Legend of the Twilight
5:30AM Yu Yu Hakusho (new eps)

1-14-06
05:00AM Gundam Seed
05:30AM Yu Yu Hakusho (new eps)

Note: .hack and Gundam Seed flip flop every other week.

Turner Classic Movies

Every Thursday Night in Jan will be the Miyazi festival

5th of Jan

8:00 PM Spirited Away
10:15 PM Princess Mononoke
1:00 AM Spirited Away
3:15 AM Princess Mononoke

12th of Jan

8:00 PM Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
10:00 PM Castle in the Sky
12:15 AM Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
2:15 AM Castle in the Sky

19th of Jan

8:00 PM My Neighbor Totoro
9:30 PM Porco Rosso
11:15 PM Whisper of the Heart
1:15 AM My Neighbor Totoro
2:45 AM Porco Rosso
4:30 AM Whisper of the Heart

26th of Jan

8:00 PM Only Yesterday
10:15 PM Pom Poko
12:30 AM Only Yesterday
2:45 AM Pom Poko

I also put this on the frist page of the thread, so that others can see it as the click on the thread.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Why can't Cartoon Network just let FLCL die? They've shown it, what, six times now at least? :bang: :bang: :bang:
rocklobster

Postby Sami_jane » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:16 pm

lol thats tru but i have only seen the series once on CN so watching it again can only help me figure the whole series out. lol its kind of hard to follow at times and ends kind of fast.
Sami_jane

Postby freerock1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:43 pm

Not sure where better to put this... But I was pleased to see some real commercials this weekend during FMA and GitS. (By "real commercials," I mean spots for companies like Subway, Toyota, new movies coming out, etc., not the mail-order spots like the Betty Crocker Bake n' Fill ad.) As I've said before, ultimately profit saves or kills a show (from a business perspective), so the more "real commercials" we have during anime, the more chance it has to survive.

More real stuff...
freerock1

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:52 pm

So what is AU going to show when Cromartie High finishes?
mitsuki lover

Postby freerock1 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:15 pm

I've been wondering that myself. As far as I know they don't have any new acquisitions to debut at the moment after Cromartie, but they sure seem to be keeping their plans under wraps.

More real stuff...
freerock1

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:28 pm

I thought I read or heard somewhere that they were going to combine the new and old series that they have,but I have no source for that so we shall have to wait and see when Cromartie is over what happens next.
mitsuki lover

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:31 pm

The lineup for AS and CN is still the same from January 20 to 31.

Also, some news about AS.

There are reports that in March, Adult Swim expands to 10 pm to 6am.

I have a feeling that we will hear some news on what new anime that will hit AS soon.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Yojimbo » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:36 pm

Wingzero22 wrote:There are reports that in March, Adult Swim expands to 10 pm to 6am.

Wingzero22

Sweet I deffinetly like that more than 11 gives me more chances to watch it.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:44 pm

It may be good news and it may be bad news it all depends.For one thing what would it mean for Toonami?
mitsuki lover

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:47 pm

Just saw on the AU site that Rahxephon will be re-airing starting 2/4 at 12:00 AM Eastern time. So if you missed out or want to see it again, mark your calendars!
rocklobster

Postby freerock1 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:23 pm

I liked RahXephon, but I'm a little surprised they're running it again this quickly for the entire hour, since Laura Cielo (G4's VP of Programming) said in her GATV interview that they were planning to rerun some of their older shows, and since mitsuki lover alluded to the same thing.

On a slightly off-topic note, I picked up the RahXephon movie for dirt cheap in the last big ADV sale. Haven't watched it yet, but I'll plan to report back. ;)

More real stuff...
freerock1

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:59 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:It may be good news and it may be bad news it all depends.For one thing what would it mean for Toonami?

From my understanding, they will push the hour back for Toomami from 6 pm to 9 pm.

Also,

This is my picks on what maybe showed on AS or Toonami.

Trinity Blood. Funimation has the rights to this show, but it will not be coming out here in the states in Summer of this year.

Beck : This could be the subtitle that we have been waiting for.

Eureka 7 could go to Toonami and Bandai has the rights to it.

Now these are just guesses by me and I just want to see if I could be right on the picks.

I have heard that Comcast has the rights to GPX and maybe that will go to AU.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:27 pm

what is Trinity Blood? *goes to google*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:23 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:what is Trinity Blood? *goes to google*

Its a vampire anime.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:04 am

Wingzero22 wrote:Its a vampire anime.

Meaning an anime about vampires, or meaning the show *itself* sucks blood out of its victims?

(and does it turn you into a vampire, or an anime?)

Yeah, I know it was stupid. I couldn't help it...
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:43 pm

I was at ANN earlier today and they announced that Cartoon Network will be airing the Miyazaki films starting with Spirited Away on Friday February 3,the schedule for the others was as yet unknown but the official Toonami site from which it was taken said they expected the darker ones such as Nausicaa and Princess Mononke to air on Adult Swim.
mitsuki lover

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews